Shafer D this friday | Syracusefan.com

Shafer D this friday

kcsu

Living Legend
Depending on the actual health of Fisher i expect us to flood the secondary on Friday. I would expect Fisher to play down in the Oakie and for Shaffer to go with that as our base D. Keep everything in front of us bend but dont break as i doubt we can get to Gino.

they have had suspect line play most of the year, just need to pressure him and hope he is a little off on his throws

Having both Shamarko and Olando back is huge, we wouldn't stand a chance against this WVU O otherwise. I can't see SU playing 3 LB's very often on Friday.

Four keys to the game for our defense:

1. Preventing the big play has to be priority #1. We need a smart game from Phil Thomas. He can't let anyone get behind him. We can't afford any missed tackles, either. Keep those wide receivers contained (I would kill for just one of those WR's they have). Try to force long drives on them, hold them to field goals as often as possible.

2. Pressure Geno Smith. Can't let him get comfortable. Shouldn't blitz him too often, though. Therefore we need big games from our entire DLine. I want to see Chan Jones and Goggins specifically team up to dominate WVU's (beatable) OLine. If we do blitz, we have to catch Smith by surprise. Getting Smith frustrated (like last season) will be critical.

3. Be PHYSICAL. Everywhere. Physical with the wide receivers. Get in Smith's face to let him know he has a long night ahead and will be extremely sore in the morning no matter what. Physical with their running backs. Get in their heads.

4. Turnovers - Execute #2 and #3, and multiple turnovers will be possible. Force errant throws, tipped balls from Smith. Hit the wide receivers hard, get the helmet on the football. Their running backs are inexperienced, cause some mistakes there.

I'm praying for a loud, raucous 40K in the Dome to make the defense's job that much easier.

What they'll need to do is force some big turnovers, especially on our end of the field. Probably can't stop them from gaining yards, but keep them out of the end zone and make them kick FGs.

WVU put up more yards and points against LSU than Miss St, Florida, and Kentucky combined. Shafer is going to have his work cut out for him.

Agreed bend but dont break is the key

Agreed bend but dont break is the key

Agree by bending I think we should expect to give up about 28-35 points and therefore we need to focus on scoring as much as we can, shoretening the game will not be the answer because I don't think we can score enough without some big plays

Agree by bending I think we should expect to give up about 28-35 points and therefore we need to focus on scoring as much as we can, shoretening the game will not be the answer because I don't think we can score enough without some big plays

I'd love to see us come out and run no huddle, whole game. Don't give WVU time to substitute, setup bump & run, don't get the pass rush get set.

WVU is gameplanning for SU to try to grind it out on the ground, trying to keep the WVU offense off the field. Attack them. I think Nassib would actually play better if we went up tempo.

I know, there's absolutely no way it happens.

I'd love to see us come out and run no huddle, whole game. Don't give WVU time to substitute, setup bump & run, don't get the pass rush get set.

WVU is gameplanning for SU to try to grind it out on the ground, trying to keep the WVU offense off the field. Attack them. I think Nassib would actually play better if we went up tempo.

I agree they have to do something first half that takes WVY by surprise and then counter once again after that.. The grind it out method will not work because WVU is going to score points

I wouldnt be surprised.. the problem is every time we try this except at game end we seem to go 3 and out just like running it only less time off the clock.

If we could get Nassib into a rhythm and the rcvrs catch the ball i think it would be a great thing..

I wouldnt be surprised.. the problem is every time we try this except at game end we seem to go 3 and out just like running it only less time off the clock.

If we could get Nassib into a rhythm and the rcvrs catch the ball i think it would be a great thing..

How often have we tried it this year? Honest question, I only see it when it's 2 minute drill time. Unfortunately we're not very good this year at lining up and punching them in the mouth (well, maybe we should literally punch them in the mouth, can't hurt). I think it's worth a try for exactly what you say, try to something to get us in rhythm, mostly for Nassib and WRs, but the entire offense really. Given our personnel, the more time the defense has to substitute, get their calls straight, and get set, the less chance we have to be successful. It's being proven over and over again.

How often have we tried it this year? Honest question, I only see it when it's 2 minute drill time. Unfortunately we're not very good this year at lining up and punching them in the mouth (well, maybe we should literally punch them in the mouth, can't hurt). I think it's worth a try for exactly what you say, try to something to get us in rhythm, mostly for Nassib and WRs, but the entire offense really. Given our personnel, the more time the defense has to substitute, get their calls straight, and get set, the less chance we have to be successful. It's being proven over and over again.

If we are now healthy on defense that should help too from a pure numbers standpoint as far as substitutions, etc. WVU is going to force the rate of play anyway, if we go three and out with or without the huddle it won't really matter for the defense. I think this is kind of BS, the D is in shape, we are healthy, I wouldn't worry about it, turn it loose. I think just trying to slow the game down is playing to lose, Syracuse really isn't a running team anyway, IMO

If we are now healthy on defense that should help too from a pure numbers standpoint as far as substitutions, etc. WVU is going to force the rate of play anyway, if we go three and out with or without the huddle it won't really matter for the defense. I think this is kind of BS, the D is in shape, we are healthy, I wouldn't worry about it, turn it loose. I think just trying to slow the game down is playing to lose, Syracuse really isn't a running team anyway, IMO

More of a question of what Marrone wants us to be, versus what we really are. And even if we play more hurry up, nothing says you can't run from that, in fact it's a good idea to keep mixing that up as well. I know Marrone's early plan was that we would be a team that gets a lot of snaps in, he had mentioned it early in his tenure, forgot the # but I know it was higher than normal. But I also think one of his building blocks before getting there was to make sure this was a disciplined, physical team that could run the ball. We're running it a little better lately than we were early in the season, but still probably not as well as last year. I think by now the team gets the Marrone physical style of play and works hard enough on and off the field to pass the effort test that's required for that. So let's shake this up. Coming off a bye week, at home, on national TV, against a favored, ranked opponent, seems like as good a time as any if you ask me. At some point we need to show offensive recruits an offense they'd want to play in.

dunno about that one...

This game is all about possession.

WVU is a team we where we want to keep their O off the field... period. No-huddle doesn't eat up enough time...

That means we need to be effective on time-eating drive offense... move the chains, methodically and consistently with no turnovers... Good offense will be the best defense where WV is concerned... They are going to get some points, but we just need to limit how many they get.

Will we be able to do that?

I sure hope so... Tho I think it's a tall order for us, as our consistency is a problem...

dunno about that one...

This game is all about possession.

WVU is a team we where we want to keep their O off the field... period. No-huddle doesn't eat up enough time...

That means we need to be effective on time-eating drive offense... move the chains, methodically and consistently with no turnovers... Good offense will be the best defense where WV is concerned... They are going to get some points, but we just need to limit how many they get.

Will we be able to do that?

I sure hope so... Tho I think it's a tall order for us, as our consistency is a problem...

I know that's what the book says on how to play WVU. And I'm sure that's how we're going to gameplan this. But I think it's setting us up for a slow, painful, boring (us not WVU), death. We have inconsistency all over the place on our offense, pretty much all 11 spots, so relying on our precise execution has been a recipe for disaster so far this year.

Maybe we get crushed either way. But it would be nice to give the appearance of playing to win instead of playing to not get crushed by too much on national TV.

I know this is why I'm not a football coach.

I think its clear the best way to win would be ball control,run the ball, and score.. given we probably cant do that well enough to win we seem to propose just throw caution to the wind. I dont think we can do either well enough to last a whole game.. I would be happy with mixing it up a bit. a few drives of each and if one is working stick with it.. but to run, run , run or pass, pass , pass is probably not the answer either. i think the real key is just go up tempo with either plan..

I like the no huddle approach not the whole game but at certain times. Field position will be critical in this game. Looking back at our season we have lost the field position battle each game actually it hasnt even been close. Sure would be nice to make them drive 70 plus yards most of the game. Last point we need touchdowns not 3 when we are in position to score. Hope Hack realizes this

I don't think you win big games by going away from your strengths. We are not a grind it out team. The best we've looked on offesne is in the no huddle and fire away, so let's do that.

On defesne I hope Cahndler and Goggings put enough pressure on the backfield that we don't have to blitz so much and can give the D-backs more help than they got at Tulane.

Shafer and the offense has to keep WV out of any kind of rhythm and put pressure on Smith along with changing looks to mix up his reads. A couple of missed tackles changes this game in a hurry.

I agree with what others have said. Most of our best runs have come after passing plays. I think we should come out in the no-huddle, at least for a few plays and then transition to just a hurry-up if the drive sustains itself. Do this 4-5 times during the game. I really think tempo changes will keep our offense revved and it also confuses the defense because they don't know which tempo we're going to come out with each possession. It may not be much, but if it results in an extra score for us, it will be worth it, imo.

I don't think we can even pretend we will be able to grind it out, 3 yards and a cloud of dust style and control the clock. When have we been able to do that this season? I would be interested in seeing our scoring drive time of possession stats.

Shafer and the offense has to keep WV out of any kind of rhythm and put pressure on Smith along with changing looks to mix up his reads. A couple of missed tackles changes this game in a hurry.

"Shafer and the offense"? Maybe you meant Shafer's defense and the offense? ;)

"Shafer and the offense"? Maybe you meant Shafer's defense and the offense? ;)

I want Shafers d to score 14 points!

He's going to have to earn his money Friday night that's for sure.

bend dont break? no way...their qb doesnt like to be rushed when in the pocket...we need to presure him at all angles for him to make costly mistakes like he did last yr...granted its a different offensive scheme thats pretty much throwing 5 receivers out but if we sit back give this guy a chance to compose himself inside the pocket...we're finished by halftime...unless you have the superior athletes on defense, you need to attack and not be attacked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom