Shaka Smart to Marquette is "likely" | Syracusefan.com

Shaka Smart to Marquette is "likely"

Melancer46

Living Legend
Surprised this wasn't posted yet, but Twitter has blown up with reports that Shaka Smart is most likely going to accept an offer to become the new head coach at Marquette. The only "mainstream" media guy that I've seen mention it is David Aldridge I think, who is usually an NBA guy, but it's been blowing up all day.

Really surprised that he's likely taking this job.

Not to poo-poo your post, but I will believe this when it actually happens. Really skeptical of this.

Not to poo-poo your post, but I will believe this when it actually happens. Really skeptical of this.

Won't make me feel bad at all lol. I like Smart a lot and was hoping he'd go to a school in a bigger conference than the new Big East.

Why would he turn down Illinois last year only to turn around and accept a job at Marquette? He has a 10 year contract. I can't wrap my head around ditching that security for a similar school or a slight upgrade (maybe). I'm not saying this is bogus, simply that I don't understand the logic because he is a god at VCU and has all the security he could want but would throw that all away for a lateral move. I'm befuddled by this.

I didn't realize he was from Wisconsin, I think the wake job is a little better than Marquette IMO. ACC and weather are big factors to me.

Now that VCU is in the A-10, I think all three of those jobs are very similar in potential.

I think I heard both he and his wife are from Wisconsin? Could be a large factor if he does take it.

Why would he turn down Illinois last year only to turn around and accept a job at Marquette? He has a 10 year contract. I can't wrap my head around ditching that security for a similar school or a slight upgrade (maybe). I'm not saying this is bogus, simply that I don't understand the logic because he is a god at VCU and has all the security he could want but would throw that all away for a lateral move. I'm befuddled by this.
Could this be a "strike while the iron is hot" move. VCU was good this year, but they're no longer the talk of the country like they were. Maybe he's thinking, "Crap, I should've taken the Illinois job when I had the chance. I better get out now before the shine wears off." I don't know anything about anything, throwing it out there.

Williams was getting huge bucks- 2.8 million (top 10) but took a paycut to go to VaTech. Maybe Marquette is throwing even more obscene money than Williams is getting? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to take a chance on such a precarious situation with an interim president and AD.

Correction: Wasn't David Aldridge that mentioned it before; it was Jeff Fischel from the ACC Network.

Again, this isn't a done deal, but multiple people have said they have sources saying that he will be Marquette's new coach. I'm with all you guys that think this is a strange move for him though.

sufandu said:
Could this be a "strike while the iron is hot" move. VCU was good this year, but they're no longer the talk of the country like they were. Maybe he's thinking, "Crap, I should've taken the Illinois job when I had the chance. I better get out now before the shine wears off." I don't know anything about anything, throwing it out there.

I think this is it along with him bring from Wisconsin. Like you said, the shine may have worn off. What he had last year isn't happening every year.

GoodmanESPN Jeff Goodman
Here's the update on Shaka Smart and Marquette for all those asking. Nothing done, nothing imminent - per multiple sources.

Totally uninformed wild thought...Shaka takes Marq job with an eye towrds Wisky in a few years when Bo Ryan retires. Move back home, work the midwest recruiting circles, reposition himself for the B1G move.

Round 2 of the done deal rumors is starting up. A few local news outlets in Milwaukee are reporting it's done, along with one of the guys from BrewCityBall.

Round 2 of the done deal rumors is starting up. A few local news outlets in Milwaukee are reporting it's done, along with one of the guys from BrewCityBall.
It's a done deal man

Does anyone besides me think Smart is kind of overrated? Yeah dude made a run to the final four during like the worst year of college basketball ever and has done nothing really of worth since.

Huh, turning down Illinois or Wake or pretty much any school for Marquette is insanity. Illinois you gets you pretty close to Wisconsin as is. Weird move, but, as mentioned in every post almost, maybe he just figures he needs to escape based on that roster b4 he loses any chance at mobility...

Yeah, I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade from what he's built at VCU.
Completely disagree. Marquette is a bigger brand and has an NBA facility. They have FAR more fan support, one of the highest in the NCAA, lowest attended game was 13k against Grambling. The Big East is a better conference than the A-10, although the A-10 is extremely underrated. He can recruit Chicago at Marquette. It's a complete upgrade, IMO.

Completely disagree. Marquette is a bigger brand and has an NBA facility. They have FAR more fan support, one of the highest in the NCAA, lowest attended game was 13k against Grambling. The Big East is a better conference than the A-10, although the A-10 is extremely underrated. He can recruit Chicago at Marquette. It's a complete upgrade, IMO.
His name gets mentioned for every big job opening, and after all of that the dream destination is Marquette? Seems weird to me.

Yeah, don't quite understand the dismissal of Marquette as a very good choice, and definitely much better than VCU.
They have a history, tradition, a NC, and great fan support. The major drawback may be that crappy league, but as a stepping-stone gig, its clearly a move up.

Yeah, don't quite understand the dismissal of Marquette as a very good choice, and definitely much better than VCU.
They have a history, tradition, a NC, and great fan support. The major drawback may be that crappy league, but as a stepping-stone gig, its clearly a move up.
I guess I'm questioning that Smart needs a stepping stone.

If our job opens up and Hop's not around, but Smart's available, I'd take him in a heart beat.