shot disparity Cooney Gbinije | Syracusefan.com

shot disparity Cooney Gbinije

Millhouse

Living Legend
try not to freak out here ok?

Set aside 3s where Gbinije shoots for a higher percentage (maybe cooney has to take tougher shots, whatever)

Gbinije shoots 52% from 2, Cooney 42%

Why is Cooney taking 46% more shots than Gbinije?

If you adjust for minutes, he's taking 24% more shots

Cooney's a better player this year but we don't need him shooting that much more than Gbinije

Set aside 3s where Gbinije shoots for a higher percentage (maybe cooney has to take tougher shots, whatever)

Cooney's a better player this year but we don't need him shooting that much more than Gbinije

Cooney takes contested threes as well but G almost never does. G only shoots from 3 when he's wide open. Cooney rarely ever gets wide open. (because of the defensive strategy, not necessarily his ability)

I don't think Gbinije is naturally aggressive as he could be.

Mike can shot when he wants. If he wants more shots, he should take them. Trevor would welcome another condistent threat. It will make his job easier.

Bottom line is that someone has to shoot. Joseph, Patterson and Roberson almost refuse to. Gbinije doesn't like to shoot unless he's really open. Cooney and Rak are willing to force shots, but someone actually has to get Rak the ball before he can force a shot. The shot distribution isn't right, but it's a result of the inadequacies of the supporting players. I don't think it's a result of Cooney or Rak unnecessarily being black holes on offense.

Bottom line is that someone has to shoot. Joseph, Patterson and Roberson almost refuse to. Gbinije doesn't like to shoot unless he's really open. Cooney and Rak are willing to force shots, but someone actually has to get Rak the ball before he can force a shot. The shot distribution isn't right, but it's a result of the inadequacies of the supporting players. I don't think it's a result of Cooney or Rak unnecessarily being black holes on offense.
i agree. i wasn't blaming cooney for the disparity, just pointing it out. maybe gbinije steps up more now with more confidence. boeheim knew this all along, i forget what he said exactly but he publicly implored gbinije to take over more

it was nice to see how happy that guy was after the game, couldn't stop smiling

This is dumb. Cooney has to shoot. We have no other options. G isn't ready to take that next step and be "the man". He's still a take what the defense gives me type of player. Cooney doesn't have much of a choice.

This is dumb. Cooney has to shoot. We have no other options. G isn't ready to take that next step and be "the man". He's still a take what the defense gives me type of player. Cooney doesn't have much of a choice.
you know what else is dumb? pretending like reducing a 45% gap in shots is the same thing as making gbinije "the man"

i said "Cooney's a better player this year but we don't need him shooting that much more than Gbinije"

that doesn't mean that I think the shots should be flipped around and Gbinije should be shooting a lot more than cooney

i agree. i wasn't blaming cooney for the disparity, just pointing it out. maybe gbinije steps up more now with more confidence. boeheim knew this all along, i forget what he said exactly but he publicly implored gbinije to take over more

it was nice to see how happy that guy was after the game, couldn't stop smiling

Agree totally and his teammates particularly Cooney couldn't stop smiling either.

16929192-mmmain.jpg

I've pointed this out, but used Rak instead of G.

It's either bad coaching or bad decision making by TC (w/r/t Rak).

As it applies to Mike G, Mike G has better TS% and eFG%, which are better measures for evaluating a full offensive game. Not as much as Rak, but still better.

Your point is correct, imo. 18 points on 18 FGs with barely and boards or rebounds is a bad game, imo.

Your point is correct, imo. 18 points on 18 FGs with barely and boards or rebounds is a bad game, imo.

Was that really his point -- or yours?

Was that really his point -- or yours?

Let me re-state then. I agree that the OP's point stands. TC shouldn't be shooting more than G as much as he is. The reason should be clear, but is not per the posts on this board. TC is basically putting on the Ricky Davis show each night. He has a wildly inefficient game.

Let me re-state then. I agree that the OP's point stands. TC shouldn't be shooting more than G as much as he is. The reason should be clear, but is not per the posts on this board. TC is basically putting on the Ricky Davis show each night. He has a wildly inefficient game.

Yup that's it. :rolleyes:

Cooney scores 1.19 points per field goal attempt, Gbinije scores 1.25 points per field goal attempt. Even if Gbinije took 100 shots in place of Cooney, he would only score 6 more points than Cooney would have.

Cooney scores 1.19 points per field goal attempt, Gbinije scores 1.25 points per field goal attempt. Even if Gbinije took 100 shots in place of Cooney, he would only score 6 more points than Cooney would have.
free throws. gbinije can't be this bad from the line indefinitely. and we try hard to get the ball to cooney at the end of games where we're ahead.

maybe gbinije is so bad from the line that it does justify that gap.

free throws. gbinije can't be this bad from the line indefinitely. and we try hard to get the ball to cooney at the end of games where we're ahead.

maybe gbinije is so bad from the line that it does justify that gap.

The reason I used TS% is that it accounts for FTs (as well as other components). G is still ahead of TC.

Normally I try to stay from discussions that compare palyers on the same team, but i must express my thoughts on this one to simply point to the fact that plays are designed for only 2 players (Rak and Cooney). Everyone else have to fend for themselves and that is why when the play breaks down sometimes the players look confused because they are not certain what other options they have. To me that is a coaching issue. Every player should be an option and should have plays based on what they do best. i do not fault Cooney for taking as many shots as he does, he has the green light. Gbinije on the other hand is still trying unload the baggage he brought with him from Duke and is probably still under the influence of a short leash he experienced last year.