Shot in the dark: Wisc. vs. SU (2012) | Syracusefan.com

Shot in the dark: Wisc. vs. SU (2012)

suttree

2nd String
One of my favorite NCAA tourney games from recent years was the 2012 barn-burner between our beloved Orangemen (yes, I said it) and the wily Badgers of Wisconsin. We withstood a staggering 51.9% three-point barrage--14 of 27!--and still held on, trading blows until the very end and eventually coming out on top, 64-63. Say what you will about Dion or anyone else on that squad; I was nervous as a cat the whole game as they sank shot after shot, reminding me all too much of the Michigan State debacle with Mo' Pete, but I wound up profoundly proud of our guys for refusing to back down and making their way successfully through an absolute gunslinging match.

I've scoured the series of tubes known as the Interwebs but have come up empty. I don't know if we have any maniacal archivers around here (I'm picturing SWC in a DVD-filled warehouse like the one at the end of the first Indiana Jones). Does anyone know where I might find a copy of that game?

Many thanks in advance, comrades.

GO ORANGE

That was perhaps the best played game in that tourney certainly in the first 3 rounds. Both teams executed their game plan with excellence and made shots. What a great game to watch and remember. Our guards absolutely abused Wisci but they ran great perimeter offense to get there taller shooters open looks which they drained over and over again.

I wonder if that NCAA vault sight has the 2012 season up yet.

Nope only 2011 but they will add it at some point.

It's available on torrent, if you know how to use those sorts of things.

One of my favorite NCAA tourney games from recent years was the 2012 barn-burner between our beloved Orangemen (yes, I said it) and the wily Badgers of Wisconsin. We withstood a staggering 51.9% three-point barrage--14 of 27!--and still held on, trading blows until the very end and eventually coming out on top, 64-63. Say what you will about Dion or anyone else on that squad; I was nervous as a cat the whole game as they sank shot after shot, reminding me all too much of the Michigan State debacle with Mo' Pete, but I wound up profoundly proud of our guys for refusing to back down and making their way successfully through an absolute gunslinging match.

I've scoured the series of tubes known as the Interwebs but have come up empty. I don't know if we have any maniacal archivers around here (I'm picturing SWC in a DVD-filled warehouse like the one at the end of the first Indiana Jones). Does anyone know where I might find a copy of that game?

GO ORANGE
Bo Ryan with a look of "Well, how the hell are we losing this game?" A high level of team basketball was played that day by both sides.

I thought for sure that game was on you tube but maybe it was taken down.

I agree it was an awesome game, particularly given our penchant for not winning Sweet 16 games (or, just random crap happening that costs us the game, like the SUPLEX).

besides the NC or maybe the 6ot, I probably rejoiced more vigorously after the Wiscy '12 tourney game than any other SU win - so hard fought at such a high level and so satisfying considering the circumstances and the stakes

that was my first ncaa tourny game live. ill never forget wisconsin;s last possession, you could hear a pin drop in the arena it was so quiet. it took me a couple seconds to react after we won. is it really over? no time left? no fouls??? YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

besides the NC or maybe the 6ot, I probably rejoiced more vigorously after the Wiscy '12 tourney game than any other SU win - so hard fought at such a high level and so satisfying considering the circumstances and the stakes

That was a GREAT game. But the one game that was even more satisfying to me, was the Indiana game the following year. Stomping on the almighty one seed was my absolute favorite.

Thanks to the OP for jogging my memory. :) Sorry I can't help with your search.

that was my first ncaa tourny game live. ill never forget wisconsin;s last possession, you could hear a pin drop in the arena it was so quiet. it took me a couple seconds to react after we won. is it really over? no time left? no fouls??? YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Those last few seconds lasted at least an hour.

Last edited:
that was my first ncaa tourny game live. ill never forget wisconsin;s last possession, you could hear a pin drop in the arena it was so quiet. it took me a couple seconds to react after we won. is it really over? no time left? no fouls??? YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
The tension in the building during the TO before that last shot was like - wow.

GO ORANGE

http://www.reocities.com/cusetapes/content/

You can try this guy. Site has not been updated since 2008 but you never know...send him an email.

If this works, you can repay me by finding a tape of Ham-Ludden at Ludden sometime in October 1983...:)

Okay, I never admitted this before, that game...I took the love of my life to that game (that didn't end as well as the Syracuse game). She was a former orange dancer. I am ashamed to say that I didn't watch the last 20 seconds. When Kris went to the foul line for his one and one, right in front of me, I knew he was going to miss. I could see it in his face. I watched the rest of the game by watching the clock on the opposite side of the court tick down. When it hit zero our side cheered and I knew we had won the game. The girl I went with, she watched the last few seconds. I feel so cheap and tawdry.

That team really could have won the whole thing. Fab.

That team really could have won the whole thing. Fab.

Boo.

Please do not bring this up again.

I wanted Kentucky so bad that year. Fab messed with me. I don't know what I ever did to him, but ...

So please.

Do not bring this up again.

Jesus. That was just mean, dude.

LOL..sorry...Unfortunately, injuries forced me to hang up my cleats a couple years ago and memories are all I have left...

Good Luck with finding that game. A pic of my son holding our SU flag at that game is still my wallpaper on my phone...

And even though we were in both DC and Atlanta in 13, he still talks about that game...probably because it was both such an amazing game and it was his first SU tourney game...

Bo Ryan is a great coach, and that was a good team we beat that day.

A lot is made about their shooting [which was incredible], but I credit the win with a coaching wrinkle by JB. Despite how good Wisconsin was lauded to be defensively, our guards took them off the dribble THE ENTIRE GAME. Not just Dion, but Scoop / Triche as well. Their backcourt couldn't guard ours or stop them from getting into the lane--which was surprising, given their defensive ratings. CJ also had an outstanding game in a reserve capacity, as I recall.

That was the difference. Great coaching that day by JB to recognize a weakness to exploit.

Bo Ryan is a great coach, and that was a good team we beat that day.

A lot is made about their shooting [which was incredible], but I credit the win with a coaching wrinkle by JB. Despite how good Wisconsin was lauded to be defensively, our guards took them off the dribble THE ENTIRE GAME. Not just Dion, but Scoop / Triche as well. Their backcourt couldn't guard ours or stop them from getting into the lane--which was surprising, given their defensive ratings. CJ also had an outstanding game in a reserve capacity, as I recall.

That was the difference. Great coaching that day by JB to recognize a weakness to exploit.

Our guards got into the lane at will which in the end was just too much for them. I thought both coaches had great offensive game plans. I was actually surprised that Ryan didn't force our bigs and forwards to try and score on them in the lane more but if I recall both his bigs picked up two early fouls so that surely factored in. I will always remember that as a huge win because it got us over the S16 hump and we beat a really good team who played well without Fab.

Okay, I never admitted this before, that game...I took the love of my life to that game (that didn't end as well as the Syracuse game). She was a former orange dancer. I am ashamed to say that I didn't watch the last 20 seconds. When Kris went to the foul line for his one and one, right in front of me, I knew he was going to miss. I could see it in his face. I watched the rest of the game by watching the clock on the opposite side of the court tick down. When it hit zero our side cheered and I knew we had won the game. The girl I went with, she watched the last few seconds. I feel so cheap and tawdry.

That's one of my strongest memories from the game.

Joseph looked more nervous than I was and it seemed like everyone around us knew he was going to gag. And it was 85 degrees in the upper deck that night.

OttoMets said:
That's one of my strongest memories from the game. Joseph looked more nervous than I was and it seemed like everyone around us knew he was going to gag. And it was 85 degrees in the upper deck that night.

Haha that's right about the weather, it was in the 80s that day in boston. The next day too I think, I was in shorts both days. Saturday felt more like march.

Haha that's right about the weather, it was in the 80s that day in boston. The next day too I think, I was in shorts both days. Saturday felt more like march.

I forgot how nice it was that day. That March in general I believe was the only March on record that was warmer on average than April.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom