Should a college athlete be a role model? | Syracusefan.com

Should a college athlete be a role model?

SWC75

Bored Historian
In the wake of the Rene-Spruill and MCW incidents you hear comments about SU player's failure to be "role models".

These are kids becoming adults. I've heard that the last part of the brain to develop is the one that controls judgement and that doesn't fully mature until about age 25. These kids are not professionals. Should we just view them as what they are: young adults trying to find themselves while forging a career in football or basketball if they can and along the way trying to win games and championships? Should we reguire that they be something more than that?

No, their jut regular people with incredible athleticism and skill. Players and coaches are put on too much of a moral pedestal. Everyone makes mistakes.

When I was at SU, both the president of student government and the editor of the Daily Orange had they positions taken away from them by the school because of alleged violations of something. (Ironically, they were both classmates of Ernie Davis). They held, arguably, the two most important student positions on campus. Were they considered role models? Hell no. They were just two kids who screwed up. I don't think student athletes should be considered any differently

In the wake of the Rene-Spruill and MCW incidents you hear comments about SU player's failure to be "role models".

These are kids becoming adults. I've heard that the last part of the brain to develop is the one that controls judgement and that doesn't fully mature until about age 25. These kids are not professionals. Should we just view them as what they are: young adults trying to find themselves while forging a career in football or basketball if they can and along the way trying to win games and championships? Should we reguire that they be something more than that?

Ideally yes. They have to know that kids look up to them. But realistically, that's a whole lot to put on the shoulders of 18-23 year old kids especially when you consider that parents aren't always good role models

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

No more so than a professional athlete or entertainer or any celebrity should be considered a role model.

Yes. With priviledges come responsibilities. When they make mistakes, it should be made clear to them that there are prices to pay. (No pun intended.)

When I was in college, I went Christmas shopping with my roommate. The store was very busy and there were many cashiers. I had my present gift wrapped, and only in the car on the way home did I realize something: in all the chaos, I had never paid for the item. My reaction? I was thrilled! I thought I had genuinely gotten this item for free because I had every intention of paying. I was so dumb, that I happily told the anecdote to my extended family on Christmas Eve. As one unit they all stared at me. "YOU STOLE." I didn't, I protested, I didn't mean to, really! Then it really sunk in. I had stolen. I was no Abe Lincoln. My 21 year-old brain had justified it, but my family helped me understand it was wrong. I was very ashamed.

If the way you behave influences other people, then you're a role model, whether you like it or not. Your influence as an SU basketball star is going to be bigger than if you're on the bench for Cortland State, but adolescents are always going to be influenced by the "big kids" they admire. The only question is "What are you going to to with that?"

If the way you behave influences other people, then you're a role model, whether you like it or not. Your influence as an SU basketball star is going to be bigger than if you're on the bench for Cortland State, but adolescents are always going to be influenced by the "big kids" they admire. The only question is "What are you going to to with that?"

By that definition everyone is a role model -- or at least almost anyone, which waters down the whole notion of a 'role model' and therefore makes the concept pointless. If we're all role models and we're all humans -- and therefore flawed -- then who gives a s--t? Pick one person to emulate and follow them down whatever path they lead you. Didn't seinfeld cover this with the mentor-protege episode?

By that definition everyone is a role model -- or at least almost anyone, which waters down the whole notion of a 'role model' and therefore makes the concept pointless. If we're all role models and we're all humans -- and therefore flawed -- then who gives a s--t? Pick one person to emulate and follow them down whatever path they lead you. Didn't seinfeld cover this with the mentor-protege episode?
Agree with you up until the "who gives a ..." comment. You were probably a role model for the younger kids in your neighborhood.

Simple answer is no. We love sports but utlimately they are absurdly pointless. Anyone watching that 1212 concert last night or anything like that even on a personal level should understand that sports is a good distraction and nothing more.

Further more, anyone who's spent any sort of time around high-level athletes should understand that they, not unlike celebrities, live in a different world. I''m not saying you can't be a good athlete and a good guy, but it's a lot harder to be an accountable, introspective, level-headed person when people have been telling you you're the s--t for 15, 20, 25, 30 or more years. There's a reason a lot of these guys "realize the errors of their ways" after their playing days: Life is a lot different when all that muscle turns to fat and no one recognizes you.

And, to be clear, I'm not saying I'd be any better nor am I judging. I'm simply saying these kids are basically told, in no uncertain terms, that if you drop 15 assists on UConn, an awful lot of other transgressions will be forgotten. Tough for a kid or an adult to remain a "great person" in those circumstances.

Agree with you up until the "who gives a ..." comment. You were probably a role model for the younger kids in your neighborhood.

I guess my point was that there is going to be a ton of influences in your life, positive and negative, human and otherwise (socio-economic circumstances, where you're born, when you're born ...). A role model is a nice idea, but ultimately you should be able to love watching MCW without hoping he's a terrific person too. And you should be able to think for yourself, even when you're pretty young. (that's not to say I always thought things through or that I'm a 'good' person.)

They shouldnt be but they most certainly are. That doesnt mean that they need to accept the role model label but clearly these athletes are role models.

Should we just view them as what they are: young adults trying to find themselves while forging a career in football or basketball if they can and along the way trying to win games and championships? Should we reguire that they be something more than that?
We (as in the adults on this message board) should view them as kids and understand that they are going to make mistakes. In the City of Syracuse where there are no professional sports, SU Athletics are as close as you will get. Therefore, younger kids in the region (and possibly nationally) will always look up to these local stars as if they are "professionals". You can't really ask if they "should be something more than young adults trying to find themselves" because when you play in a city like Syracuse and you play for a successful team, it comes with the territory. It can't be controlled.

bills01 is right. In the best of all worlds it would be nice if every athlete was some kind of Tim Tebow (or name you own favorite). The reality is that many of these kids have come from rough neighorhoods and/or family situations and their only positive attribute might be their athletic skills.
My idol growing up was Ted Williams. Maybe not the best overall personality you could look up to but I was lucky enough to have parents who showed me where Ted was wrong in the way he acted. Too many kids today don't have parents who care what their kids are doing or who they think is great.
So how long might it take some young athletes to understand acceptable behavior let alone why they should be a model for others?

I guess my point was that there is going to be a ton of influences in your life, positive and negative, human and otherwise (socio-economic circumstances, where you're born, when you're born ...). A role model is a nice idea, but ultimately you should be able to love watching MCW without hoping he's a terrific person too. And you should be able to think for yourself, even when you're pretty young. (that's not to say I always thought things through or that I'm a 'good' person.)
Just for the record, MCW doesn't influence my behavior at all. (He's younger than my children). It does, however, give me a warm, fuzzy feeling to think that SU athletes are decent, well-rounded human beings. And kids do look up to them, whether it's a good thing or not.

There are college athletes who should be considered role models, but that distinction is earned by their actions (mostly off the court) and should not be conferred upon them simply because they are outstanding athletes. If you think about it, there is nothing inherent in being a great athlete that makes you suitable for being a role model, unless the role you are modeling is that of an athlete.

The fan base doesn't know most of these kids well enough to know whether they should truly be considered role models.

The true meaning of words and phrases is interesting. Sometimes we dispense with a word that was more appropriate than what we are using now, (for example: "disabled", which means you can't do somehting instead of "handicapped", which means you have to overcome something to do it). We used to say that atheltes were a good "Example" or setting as good example.

Being a role model implies that you are a sort of statue of yourself and that eveyrone should judege themsleves by the degree that they resemble you. Who is going to listen to someone after they uttered such an arrogant statement? And it's a glass statue: if any imperfections are revealled, the whole thing shatters and you are discredited.

Being an example simplify means you have made a choice, (don't use drugs, don't gamble, be faithful to your wife, etc.) that ahs worked for you and made your life better. People dom't have to 'be' you. But they might want to do what you did. And if you come up short in one way, what you said about something else might still be listened to. A guy who inveighed against drug use could be divorced because of an affair and it wouldn't mean what he said about drugs shouldn't be listened to.

People should look around and observe what everyobdy, not just athletes, ares aying or doing and pick and choose what seems to make the most sense to them. Deciding to do what Michael Carter-Williams does because he's your hero is a dumb way to live life.