Should Gonzaga become #1 today... | Syracusefan.com

Should Gonzaga become #1 today...

Orangemen

All Conference
Would they have the worst record against ranked teams for a #1 team in the history of the AP and Coaches poll?

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them get nosed out by Duke for the top spot. And I can't say I'd argue with that either.

Would they have the worst record against ranked teams for a #1 team in the history of the AP and Coaches poll?

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them get nosed out by Duke for the top spot. And I can't say I'd argue with that either.
They're #1 in AP...we fall to #17.

They may become the first #1 team ever to not receive a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. I just don't think the committee will give them one based on their lack fo playing anyone in 2+ months.

They may become the first #1 team ever to not receive a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. I just don't think the committee will give them one based on their lack fo playing anyone in 2+ months.

If St. Joe's can get a 1, don't see why Gonzaga can't get a 1.

While I agree with you as far as their schedule, I believe that they will get a #1 seed if they win out & win their tournament. I'd rather be in their region rather than IU or Duke

Oh if they win out they are getting a 1. wont get overall one but they are getting a top seed for sure.

Oh if they win out they are getting a 1. wont get overall one but they are getting a top seed for sure.
I guess we'll see how much the committee uses the RPI or whatever they call their version. Gonzaga is currently #9. Heck New Mexico is #2 with a SOS of #3. They might get a higher seed than Gonzaga. The polls mean little to the committee.

I guess we'll see how much the committee uses the RPI or whatever they call their version. Gonzaga is currently #9. Heck New Mexico is #2 with a SOS of #3. They might get a higher seed than Gonzaga. The polls mean little to the committee.

Here is the deal with Gonzaga. They are a pretty solid team but the #1 team in the country. I have watched them probably 10 times this year and if I had to peg that team I would go with a 3 seed (maybe the last 2 seed) as their ceiling. They do have 2 NBA players on their team and will not be a first weekend upset team. Not saying they are going to the FF but I certainly see them going to the second weekend.

If they win out they are a #1 seed. Guaranteed.

Here is the deal with Gonzaga. They are a pretty solid team but the #1 team in the country. I have watched them probably 10 times this year and if I had to peg that team I would go with a 3 seed (maybe the last 2 seed) as their ceiling. They do have 2 NBA players on their team and will not be a first weekend upset team. Not saying they are going to the FF but I certainly see them going to the second weekend.

If they win out they are a #1 seed. Guaranteed.

I personally think they are not the number #1 team (that is Indiana), but they are in a 7 way tie below them. There ceiling is anywhere between #2-#8. Its hard to split those teams to be honest.

Duke could make it a 6 way tie for #3, but I am not yet convinced on Duke / Kelly. Let's see what happen this week.

You think 4-0 is the worst record ever against the top 25 teams?

You think 4-0 is the worst record ever against the top 25 teams?

Huh? According to ESPN they lost to Butler and Ill when both were ranked, beat Okl.St.. They also beat K.St who was unranked at the time.

Committee really does not use RPI to sort out the #1 line (and they should not be influenced by the poll as you sa). Its looking at overall resume and in particular top 25, top 50 wins and record against such them -- a team with a lot of positive points on it is going to have a good RPI anyway.

Huh? According to ESPN they lost to Butler and Ill when both were ranked, beat Okl.St.. They also beat K.St who was unranked at the time.

Isn't the team's ranking now much more important. That is what the committee will be looking at.

Did Duke beat a #3 team in Kentucky or a borderline top 25 team? Are you going to give them credit for a top 5 victory if you were sitting on the committee?

Gonzaga sucks so bad, they're going to be the first #1 seed to lose to a 16.

Mark it down. Rock solid. Stone cold.

Trolling: Level Expert

achievement (1).gif

I hate Georgetown but I would rather see them with a #1 seed. Its like Memphis a few years ago. They played nobody for 2-3 mos. I would love to see what Gonzaga could do with SUs recent schedule. I guarantee they wouldn't be in discussion for a #1 seed.

Isn't the team's ranking now much more important. That is what the committee will be looking at.

Did Duke beat a #3 team in Kentucky or a borderline top 25 team? Are you going to give them credit for a top 5 victory if you were sitting on the committee?

Sure it is, but the OP was commenting this morning before St. Mary's became ranked 23rd in one poll and you know that and also the point he was making. BTW, St. Mary's has an awful resume. They only played two quality teams all year and also lost to Ga. Tech. The committee will take those two wins over that semi and over ranked squad with a grain of salt. If you want to discount the games against Ill. and Butler when they were ranked that's your perogative but they are losses never the less.

Sure it is, but the OP was commenting this morning before St. Mary's became ranked 23rd in one poll and you know that and also the point he was making. BTW, St. Mary's has an awful resume. They only played two quality teams all year and also lost to Ga. Tech. The committee will take those two wins over that semi and over ranked squad with a grain of salt. If you want to discount the games against Ill. and Butler when they were ranked that's your perogative but they are losses never the less.

I'm discounting? Your stat purposely ignores a win vs current#10, and a road win at current #23.

I'm discounting? Your stat purposely ignores a win vs current#10, and a road win at current #23.

And your response to the OP was after the new rankings came out. Devils Advocate. You should have worded your response to him differently. Using the word currently would have been proper when stating 4-0. You know he posted this morning. Also, my post was correct, Gonzaga is 1-2 against ranked teams when they played them and that's the point I believe he was making. He had a point and you have a better one but the timing of his post, the rankings and your post sure helped your point. lol.

Gonzaga is without question a team I don't want to play. Marsh will agree with this statement-- Harris and Olynek (sp?) would torch our zone. You thought the uconn and Marquette front court owned? I shudder to think..

I've watched a lot of Gonzaga games this year and they are a good basketball team. But, but, they're only 1-2 vs ranked teams.. Wouldn't it be worse if they had two losses against unranked teams? After all, that's what many here are hanging our hat on recently--the fact we've lost to top 25 teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom