should the ACC sell its soul to Texas? | Syracusefan.com

should the ACC sell its soul to Texas?

CuseinNYC

Walk On
It's pretty clear that the $50 MM exit fee is not the deterrent it was meant to be. Notre Dame is a quasi-member, but I have full faith they'll flee if the conference is a goner.

If the ACC wants to stay intact, is their only choice (ultimately) to convince Texas to join? The SEC is a better geographic fit, but the ACC is the superior academic one. The Big 12 only lasts as long as Texas chooses to be there. Maybe Swofford and friends should see what they can manage here. The Pac-12 is another obvious suitor, but those schools may not be willing to give as much to Texas as they'll demand.

Not even close. Let texas rot with their crappy longhotn network that noone gets haha

Yes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Depends on what you define as 'selling your soul'. If it means letting TX keep their LHN $$$ AND splitting a conference share, then I lean towards Yes.

Its an even worse situation than having notre damenot be in BEconference but having the ability. To take bowl games from us.

Depends on what you define as 'selling your soul'. If it means letting TX keep their LHN $$$ AND splitting a conference share, then I lean towards Yes.

That's exactly what I meant by "selling its soul".

Its an even worse situation than having notre damenot be in BEconference but having the ability. To take bowl games from us.
But if they are in the conference, that would always be a possibility.

Here's the rub with UT. They are tied to the hip wit OU and by default OSU. They hate each other but have a Tony/Carmella type marriage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

this is not a novel idea... it's always been the dream to nab Notre Dane and Texas. Can't get one without the other IMO.

And if that was a serious question? The state of Texas and their HS programs...Uhh yes we'll take em'.

Lets see... Dear ND/PSU/Texas. We have $50 million to split between you if you join fully. Exit fee goes up $5M per year for each member. Also, pay back the entrance fee if they leave within 20 years.

Signed ACC

Texas and Notre Dame have ALWAYS had inherent advantages over Syracuse. If the ACC allows them to join but with some built in advantages - like allowing Texas to have its own network - at least that way Texas's advantages are helping SU, by providing stability.

Right now Texas has many advantages and its own network that are doing nothing for SU.

The only downside is pissing off football schools like Florida St. and Clemson who would not want to compete with a Texas team they have an inherent disadvantage against, but I would do this deal even if it caused Florida St. and Clemson to leave for the SEC. Bring in Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. to replace Maryland, Florida St., and Clemson and you get rid of the three teams most likely to defect (and kill) the ACC, and you squash the Big 12 who is the the only thing standing between the ACC and a spot at the big boy table.

In the end, the best thing that can happen to SU is for the Big 12 to die. That will happen if Texas and Oklahoma leave. I dont really care if its for the ACC, the Pac 12, the SEC, or the Big 12, so long as it happens. But It would be best if the ACC was on similar footing monetarily to the other super conferences, and not a step behind. Bringing Texas in would be a good way to ensure that.

the idea is that if you manage to land Texas or Notre Dame, then you are safe and stable . . . how's that going for the Big XII?

It is a mercenary era, and $50 million exit fees are not deterrents. The only thing that is going to change this game . . . is changing the game.

I think the commissioners of the ACC, B1G 10, Big XII, SEC and Pac 12 should sit down together (with the leaders of Notre Dame) and just have a draft. Cherry pick the best remaining teams in the nation and offer them a spot in a sixth conference. Whatever number of schools are left standing - 72 or 84 or 96 - can then just exit from the NCAA and write their own rules - including some kind of revenue sharing scheme for players.

the idea is that if you manage to land Texas or Notre Dame, then you are safe and stable . . . how's that going for the Big XII?

It is a mercenary era, and $50 million exit fees are not deterrents. The only thing that is going to change this game . . . is changing the game.

I think the commissioners of the ACC, B1G 10, Big XII, SEC and Pac 12 should sit down together (with the leaders of Notre Dame) and just have a draft. Cherry pick the best remaining teams in the nation and offer them a spot in a sixth conference. Whatever number of schools are left standing - 72 or 84 or 96 - can then just exit from the NCAA and write their own rules - including some kind of revenue sharing scheme for players.

Can't happen until the top dogs (SEC and Big 10 and to a lesser degree PAC10) acknowledge that they are done feeding on the others (ACC, Big12 & Big East). Until they are done the lower level conferences need to continue to try find ways to fight them off. Once they are done then you could have the sit down and try to craft something, but if the Big10 or SEC believes they can still lure a Texas or N.D. into their fold, what incentive do they have to work with the other conferences?

I think if the ACC can find a way to knock off the Big 12, it has to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if the ACC can find a way to knock off the Big 12, it has to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B12 knocks off ACC or ACC knocks off B12, doesn't matter. They are conference #4 and a good one. Just don't know what it will be called.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The ACC needs to act fast or be in the same situation the BE is in. I'm sure offers have gone out to Clemson, UNC, Florida St and others. If any of those schools follow UM there will be some trouble.

I realize I am probably the only one here who likes K. However, he is a very wise observer who doesn't speak unless he knows what he is talking about. It is worth listening to him.

notwithstanding that he is a republican, he is an ass. he is lucky some kid hasnt popped him. if the guy cursed out my kids like that I would cut his balls off and feed them to a hump back dolphin.