Should the Big East have done this when George Hicker was ejected? | Syracusefan.com

Should the Big East have done this when George Hicker was ejected?

That was my thought when I read the article about censure. Maybe they tried to censure him, but he replied, "That guy called me Tim Higgins. For an insult like that, I should have been allowed to shoot him."

The league should have suspended Hess, just like the BE should have done. All other conferences should be obligated to honor the suspensions. Hit them in the paycheck.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

The article is unclear on what the ACC's "game management protocol" actually is; give a warning to the persons demonstrating, give a warning to the home team's bench, etc.? Whatever the policy is apparently Hess didn't follow it.

Looking at the big picture, I can actually see the point of officials having a lower threshold with high-profile people who complain about the officiating. The high-profilers can be viewed as extensions of the bench; DC or TGD bitching about the officials is different than Joe Schmo in row 56. Is Hicker a "high-profiler"? Maybe, maybe not (I recall that 1/2 the board didn't know him when he was ejected).

I thought I read that the censure was given because Hess didn't follow the correct protocol and had a security officer throw them out versus it being reported to the arena's administration for determination. It was a stupid emotional response by Hess regardless. Players, coaches are supposed to ignore taunts but referees who even get to move around - can't? Bogus. Wonder if Hess, Burr etc has ever been that proactive when the targets are players or coaches? Can't be thin skinned and be an effective ref even if I don't agree with harassing anyone including refs.

1. Ask Nicely and say "please"
2. Tell
3. Eject