SI ACC Preview BS | Syracusefan.com

SI ACC Preview BS

This is exactly why pre season rankings should mean absolutely nothing

Most of these pre-season reviews have become an exercise in laziness and pencil whipping. Beyond the top teams, they're useless. Have been for a loooooong time. The basketball ones are just as bad. Maybe worse.

If by middle of the pack, he means that we were in a 37-way tie for the title, then he is right. What he fails to get, however, is that this was a team that continued to improve as the season progressed, and was peaking at the end of the year. Some might even think that would be a good indicator for this year. We certainly know that the tailspin at the end of 2011 was a predictor for gloom prior to last year.

Wasn't it pretty commonly agreed upon that at the end of the year, we were probably the best team in the Big East last season?

I realize the league was mediocre last year but still, being the best team in a mediocre league is still not middle of the pack.

Wasn't it pretty commonly agreed upon that at the end of the year, we were probably the best team in the Big East last season?

I realize the league was mediocre last year but still, being the best team in a mediocre league is still not middle of the pack.
Why would anyone say the BE was mediocre last season? That is flat out false! The BCS representative Louisville trounced Florida from the supposedly fantastic SEC. A truly mediocre BE team Pittsburg nearly and should have beaten Notre Dame who played for the NC! SU was better than both of those teams! So please stop putting down the BE. Stick to the facts and not oppinion. The record speaks for itself

SU was so damn mediocre that the head coach got hired by the NFl! Some of the opinions of people in the media and on this board are so distorted on the negative side that they are virtually psychotic. Stick to the facts please.

I don't care if national media think SU is middle of the pack. Hit em in the mouth and show the country what SU football could be and should be. Dyshawn Davis is going to give that PSU QB nightmares when it's said and done.

I don't care if national media think SU is middle of the pack. Hit em in the mouth and show the country what SU football could be and should be. Dyshawn Davis is going to give that PSU QB nightmares when it's said and done.
Yes I agree with you. But there needs to be some reality in what the media and people on this board say. Both SU and the BE were very good last year. That's reality.

Why would anyone say the BE was mediocre last season? That is flat out false! The BCS representative Louisville trounced Florida from the supposedly fantastic SEC. A truly mediocre BE team Pittsburg nearly and should have beaten Notre Dame who played for the NC! SU was better than both of those teams! So please stop putting down the BE. Stick to the facts and not oppinion. The record speaks for itself

SU was so damn mediocre that the head coach got hired by the NFl! Some of the opinions of people in the media and on this board are so distorted on the negative side that they are virtually psychotic. Stick to the facts please.

The BEast was mediocre though. The only 2 teams worth a were 'Cuse and 'Ville. Sure Cinci had 10 wins but if i'm not mistaken their best would be Cuse, Pitt, and Duke. Which, frankly, is mediocre.

The teams consisting of the top 4 in the big east were Louisville, Cincinnati, Rutgers, and Syracuse. They were a combined 38-14. Which includes cupcake filled Cinci and Rutgers schedules (with losses to Kent State and Toledo). Compared to the top 4 of other conferences:

SEC E 43-10
SEC W 42-11
Pac12 42-12 (Stanford, Oregon, Oregon state, UCLA)
Big 10 40-12 (Nebraska, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State)
ACC 38-14 (with FSU, Clemson, NCState, NC)
Big 12 38-14 (KSU, OK, Texas, OKState)
BEast 38-14
MWC 36-17
CUSA 36-18

You can't be much more than mediocre when you're bottom 4 (half) teams include Temple, UConn, and USF. Not to mention Rutgers being in the top half.

Also Marrone got hired after heading an 8-5 season. and while we were great at the end of the season, there is a word for the end record.

There was only 7 teams in the conference. Did you take that in to account?

The article said weak BE, not mediocre. They said SU was a mediocre team in the BE!

this.

Mark my words, Syracuse defeats Clemson.

Geno Smith, handled.
Teddy Bridgewater, nothing but a thang.
Boyd? Cuse will do what they do.

The ACC is in for some hard nosed, unforgiving, hard hitting aggressive football.

There was only 7 teams in the conference. Did you take that in to account?

The article said weak BE, not mediocre. They said SU was a mediocre team in the BE!

There were 8 teams. And a fair number of those 8 teams were mediocre. You said "Why would anyone say the BE was mediocre last season? That is flat out false!".
I just pointed out that the Big East WAS in fact mediocre. And i was kind of bored so i went and looked at the records of the top 4 teams in some conferences.

Also i didn't read the article.

i think we start 4 and 0 this year. if we beat Clemson all bets are off.

Syracuse was right in it with USC and Northwestern both top 25 teams, one with a top 5 QB.

Syracuse BEAT TWO heisman candidates and likely number 1 QB prospects Bridgewater and Genooo...

Eh mediocre.

We just return the baddest Linebackers and backs in the east.

The ACC newcomers were middle-of-the-pack finishers in a weak Big East last season, so don't expect fireworks in a new league just yet.

I guess if by middle-of-the-pack they mean BE Champs. Somehow I don't think they would describe Louisville with the same words.

If you want to see the rest of this crap, it's here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...0130816/acc-conference-preview/?sct=cf_t11_a2

Yeah, 2012 Final Sagarin ratings:

6 BIG EAST (A) = 72.16 71.87 ( 7) 8 71.91 ( 6)
7 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 71.64 71.92 ( 6) 12 71.80 ( 7)

A wash if ever there was one.