Silence is Golden: What does ACC have up its sleeve | Syracusefan.com

Silence is Golden: What does ACC have up its sleeve

arbitragegls

All Conference
Interesting that not one mention from ACC conference on what went down last week. It would appear that either:
1. ACC cares little about football
or
2. Has something up its sleeve to be revealed very soon.

As much as I would like to believe its #2, as more time passes I grow concerned. What is going on in the conference headquarters. I cannot believe they are stunned into inaction. So far nothing has changed except for the notice about FSU and maybe Clemson moving and the SEC/Big 12 get together. In the meantime CBS is doubling its ACC bball from ESPN. So ACC brand is going to be out there.

Let's suppose either #1 or #2 above is on target. What do you think is actually taking place? Will the ACC just go with a match up among Uconn, Rutgirls, Louisville, and USF to fill its ranks if FSU and Clemson leave? Will the ACC realize it needs ND and do everything, I mean everything including changing some structure of equal payment and taking teams without full football schedule to get the team it most certainly needs? What role will ESPN play in sorting all this out. Can ESPN and NBC find a way to work together to provide ACC and ND with enough dollars to come together?

There seems to be too much smoke not to be a fire. Let's hear 'Cuse thinking!!!

I don't think FSU or Clemson will leave the ACC.
Based on what? I know FSU is having some money problems right now; but I'd be shocked if they were both in the ACC for the longhaul.

How about 3:

3) without ND, there's not much they can do.

Based on what? I know FSU is having some money problems right now; but I'd be shocked if they were both in the ACC for the longhaul.
The last report I read made it sound like leaving the ACC would cost them more than they would gain, especially since Texas has first dibs on dollars.

$2.5M shortfall is not a major issue...they can work with that...the big thing is they need a strategic thinker who looks at the landscape 5-10 years down the road (not like that moron Chairman of the BOT). Do they consider their school a Florida/east coast University or do they think they could adjust to a more MW/Texas based University? WVU is going to be real lonely soon. I think FSU would be too...I don't see 6 ACC schools jumping to the B12. If they look at that bowl game (SEC/B12)--all it is is a glorified Sugar Bowl...The ACC can come up with a glorified Orange or Cap One Bowl in a few weeks vs ND/At Large. I might offer ND partial membership and tell FSU/Clemson to figure out who else the ACC should target (regardless of Academics)...we need to save the ACC's current membership. Another option is uneven postseason revenue sharing. The ACC needs to get some Congressman rattling sabers over anti-trust issues.

The ACC can come up with a glorified Orange or Cap One Bowl in a few weeks vs ND/At Large. I might offer ND partial membership
They said no way there would be partial membership. I hope they don't change their minds.

I don't get why a team like FSU who is notoriously top 3 in the ACC and has a much easier path to a top bowl would give that up to be second tier in the SEC.

Interesting that not one mention from ACC conference on what went down last week. It would appear that either:
or

As much as I would like to believe its #2, as more time passes I grow concerned. What is going on in the conference headquarters. I cannot believe they are stunned into inaction. So far nothing has changed except for the notice about FSU and maybe Clemson moving and the SEC/Big 12 get together. In the meantime CBS is doubling its ACC bball from ESPN. So ACC brand is going to be out there.

Let's suppose either #1 or #2 above is on target. What do you think is actually taking place? Will the ACC just go with a match up among Uconn, Rutgirls, Louisville, and USF to fill its ranks if FSU and Clemson leave? Will the ACC realize it needs ND and do everything, I mean everything including changing some structure of equal payment and taking teams without full football schedule to get the team it most certainly needs? What role will ESPN play in sorting all this out. Can ESPN and NBC find a way to work together to provide ACC and ND with enough dollars to come together?

ND is not comming. Period. Hope they have something else, we have seen what it is like to be in a reactionary conference for far to many years

If we were to admit Notre Dame for everything but Football, what does that really get us? Partial membership defeats the purpose of having them join.

sets a bad precedent. partial ND membership screwed over the BE
not really..what screwed the BE was its bball and all team sport split. Not saying any better if ND came in all sports and was willing to play 3-4 games a year against ACC teams...that would be slightly different. It is one team...and it is a Brand..not a bunch of bball schools that dont play football.

not really..what screwed the BE was its bball and all team sport split. Not saying any better if ND came in all sports and was willing to play 3-4 games a year against ACC teams...that would be slightly different. It is one team...and it is a Brand..not a bunch of bball schools that dont play football.
Also the Big 12 is willing to offer ND this.

I'd make a deal with ND for partial membership ofr say 10 years if they agree to join as a full member after that. But I wouldn't accept just a flat out partial even if it means FSU and Clem walk.

How about ND as a partial member for as long as they want, but IF they ever decide to join a conference in football, ACC has the right of first refusal?

or

Not a big follower of college fball but I'll throw this out there. A ESPN talking head commented the other day that FSU is NO longer the football school it use to be and since going to the ACC has not produced for the ACC what it was suppose to produce, a consistent challenge to the BCS title. According to him, FSU has even failed to challenge for the ACC title most years. So he sees it that FSU needs the ACC (as a means into the BCS) than the SEC needs FSU as a "filler" for the bottom half of the league.

How about ND as a partial member for as long as they want, but IF they ever decide to join a conference in football, ACC has the right of first refusal?
I think it has to be full member or nothing. Asking them to be a partial member with any sort of agreement down the line will be hard to enforce. If Notre Dame later decides they don't want to join the conference, it will be pretty hard to make them. Granted there may be a financial settlement, but I don't know how much this will help in the long run.