Silent G deserves some love | Syracusefan.com

Silent G deserves some love

Agreed. I was distressed to see us getting out-hustled a lot as SJU made its comeback, but Gbinije was on the floor, scrapping for the ball, keeping rebounds alive, etc. Worked his arse off out there. Not the kind of plays that turn up in a box score, but he was very effective.

Agreed. I was distressed to see us getting out-hustled a lot as SJU made its comeback, but Gbinije was on the floor, scrapping for the ball, keeping rebounds alive, etc. Worked his arse off out there. Not the kind of plays that turn up in a box score, but he was very effective.

Yeah, I really think Silent G shutting down Harrison won the game.

Seemed like he was the only guy on our team that wanted to get a rebound. We really could have used Cooney to space the floor and get a little more movement offensively, but Gbinije made so many huge defensive plays down the stretch. Getting over screens, just sticking to Harrison like glue, grabbing some huge rebounds, poking the ball loose a couple times. He was big.

Seemed like he was the only guy on our team that wanted to get a rebound. We really could have used Cooney to space the floor and get a little more movement offensively, but Gbinije made so many huge defensive plays down the stretch. Getting over screens, just sticking to Harrison like glue, grabbing some huge rebounds, poking the ball loose a couple times. He was big.

I absolutely agree with this. Especially the first sentence.

When we began the season, I was more leery about SilentG than either Ennis or Cooney. But he's proven he won't be a negative. Rebounding and defense seem to be his pluses, and adds competent ballhandling in bringing it up the court. But by February and March we will need him to have more confidence on the offensive end in terms of scoring and in dishing.

Cheers,
Neil

When we began the season, I was more leery about SilentG than either Ennis or Cooney. But he's proven he won't be a negative. Rebounding and defense seem to be his pluses, and adds competent ballhandling in bringing it up the court. But by February and March we will need him to have more confidence on the offensive end in terms of scoring and in dishing.

Cheers,
Neil

Agreed. That's gotta be his next step. He had a nice open corner 3 down the stretch that he hesitated to put up. Gotta have the confidence to at least knock down some spot up shots even if he isn't a big-time scorer. Gotta give us something there.

He played a big role. I like him.
gottlieb agreed with a tweet that Gbinije doesn't add much. dougie in mid season form. douche form.

For those who watch highlights, watch parts of games while tweeting, and check box scores and base their opinions off of that they probably think he doesn't add much because he doesn't shoot/score much or do anything that stands out as "exciting" for those who half-watch.

For those who actually watch the games and form their opinions off of that, they realize he adds a lot in the right situations. He doesn't make dumb mistakes, plays within himself, is a good defender, rebounds well from the guard spot, and understands the game offensively, and makes the right plays.

He played a big role. I like him.

For those who watch highlights, watch parts of games while tweeting, and check box scores and base their opinions off of that they probably think he doesn't add much because he doesn't shoot/score much or do anything that stands out as "exciting" for those who half-watch.

For those who actually watch the games and form their opinions off of that, they realize he adds a lot in the right situations. He doesn't make dumb mistakes, plays within himself, is a good defender, rebounds well from the guard spot, and understands the game offensively, and makes the right plays.
bingo. well said

I was waiting for the move by JB to MG when it was clear that Trevor was a nonfactor and we needed de. Definitely a key move in the game. MG will provide more offense in the future once he settles back into playing. He really hasn't played in the last 2 years.

I was incredibly impressed in his ability to fight through screens and stonewall the st. johns guards. You could almost see that the guards were surprised and didn't know what to do with him on the wing, because they were consistently turning the corner on ennis and cooney.

I was waiting for the move by JB to MG when it was clear that Trevor was a nonfactor and we needed de. Definitely a key move in the game. MG will provide more offense in the future once he settles back into playing. He really hasn't played in the last 2 years.

And when he does get there on the offensive end, I think our backcourt will finally get recognized as a Top 3 backcourt in the nation. And great guard play usually means Elite 8 and FF type teams.

Cheers,
Neil

Great defense just when they needed it and 4 rebounds. Silent G shut down Harrison in the 2nd half. You have to give him some credit for this win. Great contribution.
Brilliant move by JB! Didn't see it coming but subbing in MG led to the definitive run where we took the lead for good. Wish MG had knocked down that one n one but he was a huge key! Go Cuse!

This is an imperfect comparison, because they play different positions, but he is really starting to remind me of Ryan Blackwell. A highly rated recruit who isn't a jump out of the gym athlete and isn't a huge scorer, but who is capable of contributing in a lot of ways.

I don't ever see Gbinije being a big scorer here, but that doesn't mean that he can't be a major contributor. Also important to keep in mind that he is still relatively inexperienced. Games like today are huge confidence builders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom