Silver lining | Syracusefan.com

Silver lining

kcsu

Living Legend
UCLA,Texas AM, Tennessee, LSU, Texas Tech could all be searching for a coach. They will not be looking at Dino this year.

UCLA,Texas AM, Tennessee, LSU, Texas Tech could all be searching for a coach. They will not be looking at Dino this year.
I wouldn't be so sure...Dino is a better coach than all of those guys.

I just don't think he is a quitter which is why he wanted a 5 year contract. He knew that it would be a tough task and might take longer than at previous stops. And none of those schools have the challenges we have.

Could you imagine Dino and staff recruiting for UCLA, LSU, TT, Tennessee or TX A&M...and his system with those athletes. Good Lord!

I just don't think he is a quitter which is why he wanted a 5 year contract. He knew that it would be a tough task and might take longer than at previous stops. And none of those schools have the challenges we have.

Could you imagine Dino and staff recruiting for UCLA, LSU, TT, Tennessee or TX A&M...and his system with those athletes. Good Lord!
I agree he would kill it. My point is they wont hire a coach with a 6 win or worse record.

I agree he would kill it. My point is they wont hire a coach with a 6 win or worse record.
I can see Miles landing Tennessee. Kelley at UCLA or LSU.

Most of the country sees the improvement in the team, don't think that other AD's haven't taken notice. While he wouldn't be the big splash hire the fans would want, he would kill it at those schools.

Dino is good enough to lift SU to top 5 in ACC but I don't think he is a coach able to take SU to national championship game.

We have seen him constantly making small mistake in the past five games. But right now, he is the best we can afford.

Dino is good enough to lift SU to top 5 in ACC but I don't think he is a coach able to take SU to national championship game.

We have seen him constantly making small mistake in the past five games. But right now, he is the best we can afford.
Lol, did you just say National Championship game?

Dino is the exact type of coach that could get SU to a championship game, the limitations of the school and program would be the reason we couldn't get there, not Dino.

If Dino were at a school like LSU or TN or any of those schools I named...I think he could win those conferences and be in the running with the talent and funding afforded to him at those schools.

The difference between going from a bad to good, or good to great team is simply execution. We aren't executing right now and some of that is coaching, but it is more a function of the players on the field and them doing their jobs. I can guarantee you that the coaches don't coach them to do stuff the wrong way or miss throws, or run into the lineman's back, or take bad pursuit angles, or get stupid penalties, etc.

No coach will take SU football to the NC game. That ship has sailed

Exactly...we just hope to make a Top 6 bowl game once or twice a decade. That is our ceiling...that is okay.

I can see it now...

"Come to Texas Tech! You can be 3rd dog in your own state while playing for an irrelevant program in the middle of nowhere. But wait, there's more. You can sign up to play in a conference that might not last much after when you graduate (if it makes it that far)."

Just typing that gave me goosebumps...Lubbock, here I come!

Seriously though, fair point about the other schools.

He signed a six year deal.

He got a lot of money.

He got an ACC gig.

He's 55.

I'd like to think that he plans to stay for awhile.
Also, some of those schools are where great coaches go to get ruined.

They are to coaches what Notre Dame is to players.

I’d like to see Petrino land at one of those. Maybe Tennessee. Get Louisville back down to earth.

Wonder if LSU takes another run at Jimbo.

Please.

Also, some of those schools are where great coaches go to get ruined.

They are to coaches what Notre Dame is to players.

Good point.

There is far less pressure at SU.

He will be given more time to succeed and will be a leader in the CNY community - this is a good gig.

incredulous-o.gif.cf.gif

Exactly...we just hope to make a Top 6 bowl game once or twice a decade. That is our ceiling...that is okay.
Disagree, while very unlikely, not impossible.

No coach will take SU football to the NC game. That ship has sailed

Nope. This is loser mentality.

We are all aware of the limitations, no need to rehash. If we can win the division (if Louisville and NC State are contending, we can too), we can make the playoffs.

It would take a lot of things going right and it will def take time... but this “ship sailing” mentality is pure BS. (UCONN’s ship sailed when they didn’t get into the ACC.)

One of the few schools I think SU could lose Dino to is UCLA. But as OrangePA said, he may feel comfortable on the Hill and hopefully he's done with moving because I have no doubt he's the right guy to steer this ship for the Orange.

Most of the country sees the improvement in the team, don't think that other AD's haven't taken notice. While he wouldn't be the big splash hire the fans would want, he would kill it at those schools.

Most ADs would be blasted for hiring a P5 coach with back-to-back losing seasons, including a loss at home to MTSU.

The country will only take notice when we break our 13-year Top 25 “streak.”

Most ADs would be blasted for hiring a P5 coach with back-to-back losing seasons, including a loss at home to MTSU.

The country will only take notice when we break our 13-year Top 25 “streak.”

That's true to a point. If the AD has a relationship or the like, they may go after a coach they know and feel comfortable/confident in.

That's true to a point. If the AD has a relationship or the like, they may go after a coach they know and feel comfortable/confident in.

And Coyle got Fleck, so that rules that one out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom