7) Red Bruin
6)Jonny
5)Big John Wallace
4)Billy
3)Carmelo
2) DC
1)Pearl

Here's 10 of Duke's in no paricular order-
Dawkins, Laetner, Ferry, Brand, G Hill, Magette, J Williams, Battier, Boozer, Irving.

Exactly why James Arthur Boeheim is ten times the coach K is... And sorry to say, why Calhoun was even better than JB.

Exactly why James Arthur Boeheim is ten times the coach K is... And sorry to say, why Calhoun was even better than JB.
Did you really need to go there? If you're looking at numbers K had 2.74 x more MAA than JB. He has been to 2.75 x more final fours and won 4 x more national championships. So, you could argue that K has done slightly more with his MAA than JB. Additionally, recruiting those guys is part of coaching. Ultimately, if JB is being compared to K, I see that as a complement and think we're lucky to have him.

and UConn combined.
Duke 52
Syracuse 19
UConn 10

How many of them were already Mickey Dees, (at least rated high enough to become one), before they signed with those schools? We al know about the "Duke" effect.

Did you really need to go there? If you're looking at numbers K had 2.74 x more MAA than JB. He has been to 2.75 x more final fours and won 4 x more national championships. So, you could argue that K has done slightly more with his MAA than JB. Additionally, recruiting those guys is part of coaching. Ultimately, if JB is being compared to K, I see that as a complement and think we're lucky to have him.

There are not many bigger JB fans than I am and I never liked Calhoun, but you have to give credit where credit is due. K not only had more MAA than JB and Calhoun, he had better secondary talent. Too many variables to include recruiting in the equation. I'm just saying, who did the most with the talent they had on the floor.

I don't personally give much weight to national titles although they do play a factor. Doggie Julian has the same number of titles as JB and Phil Woolpert has twice as many titles, but Phil was not a better coach than JB...

There are not many bigger JB fans than I am and I never liked Calhoun, but you have to give credit where credit is due. K not only had more MAA than JB and Calhoun, he had better secondary talent. Too many variables to include recruiting in the equation. I'm just saying, who did the most with the talent they had on the floor.

I don't personally give much weight to national titles although they do play a factor. Doggie Julian has the same number of titles JB has and Phil Woolpert has twice as many titles, but Phil was not a better coach than JB or JC...
My main point was that there was no need to assert that JB was better than K with the talent he had on the floor. K had more talent, absolutely. He also not only won more national championships, but has gone to more final fours, including 4 in a row at one point. They're both great coaches. Maybe JB is better, maybe he's not. If he's not better than K, it's nothing to be ashamed of. K is one of the greatest of all time.

Comparing JB to Coach K is like comparing Carmelo to LeBron James. You are going to lose that comparison but it doesn't matter. JB and Carmelo need to be the best they can be and that is substantial enough.

As far as JB vs. JC, the key numbers are 1,1,2 vs. 1,4,8. Those are the seedings of the teams they played for the national title. We played three close games and lost two of them, (we should have won 2 of 3). They won all three. That's the only difference.

There's another important factor.
That is, kids develop at different paces.
Dwyane (Sic) Wade wasn't close to being a MCd A-A.
But look what he became after 4 years at Marquette.

Getting top recruits is part of being considered a great coach.
Developing less heralded players within a system is another important aspect.
That talent helped put guys like Brad Stevens on the map.
Jim Boeheim's generally done pretty well in that regard as well.

By the way...some other really BIG NAMES were not Mickey D A-a's:
Stockton, Malone, David Robinson, Charles Barkley...many more.

There's another important factor.
That is, kids develop at different paces.
Dwyane (Sic) Wade wasn't close to being a MCd A-A.
But look what he became after 4 years at Marquette.

Getting top recruits is part of being considered a great coach.
Developing less heralded players within a system is another important aspect.
That talent helped put guys like Brad Stevens on the map.
Jim Boeheim's generally done pretty well in that regard as well.

By the way...some other really BIG NAMES were not Mickey D A-a's:
Stockton, Malone, David Robinson, Charles Barkley...many more.
Wholeheartedly agree. My main point was why did someone even want to go where they used this to say JB was better than coach K. Whether he is or isn't can't simply be determined by the fact that K has had more MAA's. That's why I chose simple numbers of final fours and NC's to compare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom