Since some have asked, here is my Sandy saga... | Syracusefan.com

Since some have asked, here is my Sandy saga...

cto

Administrator
Monday morning, I get call from friends Nick and Brenda who live near the water. Cops had visited them and said power was about to be turned off and they had to evacuate. So they ask whether they could move in with me for the duration. I said of course. They arrive at noon and we watch TV storm coverage until 4 pm when I lose power. Generator … which worked flawlessly after Irene last year… does not start. So I call generator company – which makes no promises as to when they will show up because they “have lots of calls.” Then we sit around all evening… drinking wine by candlelight in front of fireplace … as we watch trees crash all around us ….. and shingles fly off my roof. It was seriously scary.

On Tuesday, neighbors Tom and Mary (whose generator was working) invite us for lunch. While there, neighbor Hank shows up and says he knows generators. So he walks to my house and starts my generator in manual mode. Hurrah, we have power. Two hours later, generator guy shows up. He says generator should NEVER be started in manual mode … so he restarts it in automatic mode. Thirty minutes after he leaves, it dies. So I restart it in manual mode.

It works until midnight when it again dies. So I go outside in restart it in automatic mode. It works until 11 a.m today. … when it shuts down with an huge EXPLOSION. Neighbors come running from all directions. But there is no smell of gas, so I pronounce things as okay. And I call generator company again. About four hours later, Manny shows up from generator company. After poking around, he decides problem is a gauge that incorrectly shows low oil pressure … and thus precipitates shutdowns. So he replaces gauge and restarts it in auto mode. It has now been working for seven hours… so who knows -- maybe we have fixed it.

MEANWHILE… the important stuff. … I have pretty bad storm damage. I lost at least seven threes --- one of which hit roof/side of house doing what my contractor says is very serious damage. Also lost hundreds of shingles… including many in large clusters which left bare wood exposed on roof. Several other parts of roof are damaged and sort of flapping. Gas grill is smashed and gas line severed. Valuable antique weather vane (great blue heron) is badly damaged and may not live to fly another day. We put tarp over the biggest shingle losses… and called the insurance company.

About 75 percent of Fairfield is still without power (it was 97 per cent on Tuesday). At least five houses near the beach (some very expensive) literally floated out to sea during the storm…. And Halloween has been postponed until next Wednesday. Many major streets do not have power… and many stores and restaurants are still closed. For those who know this area, Southport (where I live) remains totally without power. Downed power lines, trees and branches, are everywhere. It is a serious mess. It could be another week before town is entirely back.

But as I said a few days ago, I am warm and dry and safe … so I can’t complain. So many people have suffered so much more in this storm. By comparison, I have had petty annoyances. I had looked forward to attending the 11/1 SU basketball game, but obviously did not travel to Syracuse in the middle of this mess. I hope Cheriehoop enjoys my tickets.

Thank you for all your expressions of concern…..both here and on Facebook. It is very much appreciated.

Like I said in another forum, Joyce, I know you'll thrive throughout this ordeal. Best of luck as you weather the after-storm. See you at an SU game in the near future.

Glad your alright! Good luck with the repairs!

Joyce, pleased to hear you are safe and sound. You may want to contact an insurance ombudsman that does the talking for you with your insurance company. Some are noted as actually getting the repairs and dollars you deserve from your insurance company that doesnt really want to pay up for what the damage indicates. I recommend East Coast Adjusters...they are national. After hurricane damage in Florida my insurance company was a bit slow reacting and did not want to cover cost of damages per contractors...East Coast Adjusters(or a company like them)actually negotiated more money than needed---they do not take % unless they exceed cost of damages...and came out very whole.

Wow, you make it sound like you handled yourself with grace through the chaos. So glad you are safe.

Good to hear that you are safe and injury free CTO. Good luck with the repairs and hope all goes well in dealing with the insurance company and contractor(s) to get everything repaired the correct way!

CTO, my advice to you...is to start drinking heavily.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like a lot of wine has already been consumed. Good luck with the repairs and recovery, CTO!

I will try to channel my thoughts and feelings during the game directly into your super conscious. Be prepared to feel slightly psychotic! (And good luck with all you must do in the coming days. Yes, you were "lucky," but it's still a rotten mess.)

Hang in there, Joyce. At least the generator is finally working. I have family in Jersey that went to get a generator a week before the storm and it was placed on back-order. I said to them "good luck ever getting that thing. Your power will be back on by the time you see it". Thankfully I was wrong. Home Depot called yesterday afternoon and told them they could come get it.

If you need a grill and a couple of strong guys, I'm sure Mark could organize an impromptu "tailgate" at your house. ;)

Take care and be safe.

Glad you're safe and warm despite the ordeal, Joyce. Hope the generator holds out.

As you know, Joyce, I am on the other side of the world. You, and some of my family members in Connecticut, were on my mind as I watched the catastrophe unfold on television. I am very pleased that you are safe; that is the important thing. Take good care of yourself.

Tom

Hang in there, Joyce. At least the generator is finally working. I have family in Jersey that went to get a generator a week before the storm and it was placed on back-order. I said to them "good luck ever getting that thing. Your power will be back on by the time you see it". Thankfully I was wrong. Home Depot called yesterday afternoon and told them they could come get it.

If you need a grill and a couple of strong guys, I'm sure Mark could organize an impromptu "tailgate" at your house. ;)

Take care and be safe.

They actually delivered limited quantities of the generators at Home Depots in North Jersey on Sunday. I lucked out and was able to get one. Thankfully our power held out with some minor interruptions, but by now a second friend's family is using it.

Glad there are more generators becoming available, but severe gas shortages are expected. So gas up and stock up - if you can find any canisters that is. The Elizabeth and Newark ports won't be restored for at least a couple days.

I find that Jack alone works better (ok with ice!) and leaves less hangover.
but,but...I am the Jack&Coke man...pour me another...drink enough it keeps you warm...hey: here is to you Too

Would you have expected any less from CTO????
Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting her, I expected nothing less, judging only by reading her previous posts. I also think that the diminished posting by she and some of the other highly respected and valued posters is a testament to the change in environment over the course of the past few years.

Thankfully you are safe which is most important and that you now have power. Thank you for the tickets - MoCat and I will be thinking of you at the game. I'm so sorry you can't be there yourself.

Monday morning, I get call from friends Nick and Brenda who live near the water. Cops had visited them and said power was about to be turned off and they had to evacuate. So they ask whether they could move in with me for the duration. I said of course. They arrive at noon and we watch TV storm coverage until 4 pm when I lose power. Generator … which worked flawlessly after Irene last year… does not start. So I call generator company – which makes no promises as to when they will show up because they “have lots of calls.” Then we sit around all evening… drinking wine by candlelight in front of fireplace … as we watch trees crash all around us ….. and shingles fly off my roof. It was seriously scary.

On Tuesday, neighbors Tom and Mary (whose generator was working) invite us for lunch. While there, neighbor Hank shows up and says he knows generators. So he walks to my house and starts my generator in manual mode. Hurrah, we have power. Two hours later, generator guy shows up. He says generator should NEVER be started in manual mode … so he restarts it in automatic mode. Thirty minutes after he leaves, it dies. So I restart it in manual mode.

It works until midnight when it again dies. So I go outside in restart it in automatic mode. It works until 11 a.m today. … when it shuts down with an huge EXPLOSION. Neighbors come running from all directions. But there is no smell of gas, so I pronounce things as okay. And I call generator company again. About four hours later, Manny shows up from generator company. After poking around, he decides problem is a gauge that incorrectly shows low oil pressure … and thus precipitates shutdowns. So he replaces gauge and restarts it in auto mode. It has now been working for seven hours… so who knows -- maybe we have fixed it.

MEANWHILE… the important stuff. … I have pretty bad storm damage. I lost at least seven threes --- one of which hit roof/side of house doing what my contractor says is very serious damage. Also lost hundreds of shingles… including many in large clusters which left bare wood exposed on roof. Several other parts of roof are damaged and sort of flapping. Gas grill is smashed and gas line severed. Valuable antique weather vane (great blue heron) is badly damaged and may not live to fly another day. We put tarp over the biggest shingle losses… and called the insurance company.

About 75 percent of Fairfield is still without power (it was 97 per cent on Tuesday). At least five houses near the beach (some very expensive) literally floated out to sea during the storm…. And Halloween has been postponed until next Wednesday. Many major streets do not have power… and many stores and restaurants are still closed. For those who know this area, Southport (where I live) remains totally without power. Downed power lines, trees and branches, are everywhere. It is a serious mess. It could be another week before town is entirely back.

But as I said a few days ago, I am warm and dry and safe … so I can’t complain. So many people have suffered so much more in this storm. By comparison, I have had petty annoyances. I had looked forward to attending the 11/1 SU basketball game, but obviously did not travel to Syracuse in the middle of this mess. I hope Cheriehoops enjoys my tickets.

Thank you for all your expressions of concern…..both here and on Facebook. It is very much appreciated.

Glad you are safe and sound. We will provide extra detailed reports on the game tonight to help Sandy victims in some small way...

But as I said a few days ago, I am warm and dry and safe … so I can’t complain. So many people have suffered so much more in this storm. By comparison, I have had petty annoyances. I had looked forward to attending the 11/1 SU basketball game, but obviously did not travel to Syracuse in the middle of this mess. I hope Cheriehoop enjoys my tickets.

Good luck and congratulations on your handling of this devastating storm. Keep the faith!