SJU vs SU thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

SJU vs SU thoughts...

swish7

All Conference
I am sure all of this has already been discussed, but I need an outlet.
  • Crushing, crushing end to the game. Just sucks to see us dominate in some aspects and fall remarkably short in others.
  • There is much to be optimistic about. I LOVE the juice some players on this team bring. Mintz, Hima, Qadir (from the sidelines), etc. It is electric, and when 2, 3, 4 of them are feeding off of each other, it is fun to watch.
  • Girard either doesn't give a lot of effort or doesn't give the appearance of giving the effort. For a 4 year starting guard, he doesn't appear to work hard to get open, or to get out on shooters on D. Not sure if its fitness, drive, burn out, IQ, or what it is, but it is a major liability. When Girard is not moving off ball, running his guy off screens, or whatever, it basically leaves everything to Mintz.
  • Mintz would make an outstanding play, then woof, while SJU pushed the ball downcourt and got off good shots. Let your return effort on D serve as your woofing. Stop woofing!
  • Impressive play from Benny. I wrote him off last year. But, man, he is a good kid that didn't transfer and just seems to work hard. His decision to feed Edwards late, instead of shooting a jumper was some serious growth over old Benny.
  • Re Bell's 0 rebounds, I have no comment as he is kind of an invisible player. All I know is that when they shoot, you locate a player and box them out, and when the ball comes off the rim, you pursue it aggressively. Not sure what he is doing wrong..
  • Love me some Hima, regardless of Edwards foul situation. Play Hima and don't tell me 'he doesn't need to be in there that much'. Play him & Edwards if you can. High / low, a gazillion rebounds.
  • Copeland is a gem. He's Boeheimed as hell, but is over there on the bench making sure his players get hydrated, and cheering them on, etc. What a teammmate.
SJU made it hard for us to shoot, and on their offensive end they simply looked for the easiest shots possible. Sucks to be on the butt end of it, but they played some high IQ ball and executed.

Still hopeful...

I am sure all of this has already been discussed, but I need an outlet.
  • Crushing, crushing end to the game. Just sucks to see us dominate in some aspects and fall remarkably short in others.
  • There is much to be optimistic about. I LOVE the juice some players on this team bring. Mintz, Hima, Qadir (from the sidelines), etc. It is electric, and when 2, 3, 4 of them are feeding off of each other, it is fun to watch.
  • Girard either doesn't give a lot of effort or doesn't give the appearance of giving the effort. For a 4 year starting guard, he doesn't appear to work hard to get open, or to get out on shooters on D. Not sure if its fitness, drive, burn out, IQ, or what it is, but it is a major liability. When Girard is not moving off ball, running his guy off screens, or whatever, it basically leaves everything to Mintz.
  • Mintz would make an outstanding play, then woof, while SJU pushed the ball downcourt and got off good shots. Let your return effort on D serve as your woofing. Stop woofing!
  • Impressive play from Benny. I wrote him off last year. But, man, he is a good kid that didn't transfer and just seems to work hard. His decision to feed Edwards late, instead of shooting a jumper was some serious growth over old Benny.
  • Re Bell's 0 rebounds, I have no comment as he is kind of an invisible player. All I know is that when they shoot, you locate a player and box them out, and when the ball comes off the rim, you pursue it aggressively. Not sure what he is doing wrong..
  • Love me some Hima, regardless of Edwards foul situation. Play Hima and don't tell me 'he doesn't need to be in there that much'. Play him & Edwards if you can. High / low, a gazillion rebounds.
  • Copeland is a gem. He's Boeheimed as hell, but is over there on the bench making sure his players get hydrated, and cheering them on, etc. What a teammmate.
SJU made it hard for us to shoot, and on their offensive end they simply looked for the easiest shots possible. Sucks to be on the butt end of it, but they played some high IQ ball and executed.

Still hopeful...
Good stuff Swish. I think St John's is better than some people give them credit for and the ACC is pretty meh this year. If our guys can continue developing and don't play down to the talent level of our OOC opponents, then I think we should be favorites in all of them except for Illinois. Don't lose to Georgetown and life will be good going into conference play.

i think both bell and benny as starting forwards are a little soft on the glass. need to get nasty underneath.
they combined for 5 fouls in 80 minutes of play. sorry but that ain't bangin' the boards. wes unseld.get nasty.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom