Smoked on Tobacco Road | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Smoked on Tobacco Road

It's not one or the other, though. It's both. Our decline would've been better hidden in the Big East.
Better hidden getting stomped by Villanova and UConn and losing to Marquette and Providence? What are people smoking. You can’t hide. If you stink you stink. The ACC didn’t prevent us from getting a protected seed with Ennis or to the final four in 2016. We stopped recruiting at a high level and have had bad teams. End of story.

Stop blaming the conference for our failures. We are not relevant because we’ve had mediocre players and teams for a decade.
Players didn't want to walk the ball up the floor and play. Constant zone.
Good players are looking to showcase their talent for the NBA.
Plus JB didn't put the time in for recruiting
his last year's.

Better hidden getting stomped by Villanova and UConn and losing to Marquette and Providence? What are people smoking. You can’t hide. If you stink you stink. The ACC didn’t prevent us from getting a protected seed with Ennis or to the final four in 2016. We stopped recruiting at a high level and have had bad teams. End of story.

You're insane if you think the Big East was a deep as the ACC over the time period from the switch through today. We would have consistently finished higher in the regular season and likely would've done better in the BET. Based off of, well, we really couldn't have done any worse than we have in the ACCT.

You're insane if you think the Big East was a deep as the ACC over the time period from the switch through today. We would have consistently finished higher in the regular season and likely would've done better in the BET. Based off of, well, we really couldn't have done any worse than we have in the ACCT.
Blaming the conference and wanting to “hide” is loser talk.

Blaming the conference and wanting to “hide” is loser talk.

Either way the program was going to decline. Wanting a less tarnished brand seems like better starting point when you are trying to right a sinking ship, but maybe that's just me. I know, know, money, money, money football, only move, I get it. That doesn't mean I have to enjoy being perennial mid-table team in a southern conference that hates us.

I don't get all this talk about how there's no appeal to northern kids to play for Syracuse now. Like if we were good, they wouldn't want to go to Cuse and whoop some southerners in the ACC and represent for NY/NJ/Philly against UNC and Duke? Like we couldn't schedule some games at MSG and Barclays?

Oh, by the way, UNC and Duke's leading scorers are both from New York.

As near as I can tell, there's only one person making that argument. Kids want to play for prestigious, winning teams. If you were a 15-16 year old high school recruit I don't think what you're seen of Syracuse since you were old enough to really understand basketball would be very appealing.

I don't get all this talk about how there's no appeal to northern kids to play for Syracuse now. Like if we were good, they wouldn't want to go to Cuse and whoop some southerners in the ACC and represent for NY/NJ/Philly against UNC and Duke? Like we couldn't schedule some games at MSG and Barclays?

After Duke beat us for the 11th straight time, someone on the Duke board said sometimes it just comes down to recruiting - he said Flip is from NY and if you put him on Cuse, Cuse probably wins. Red needs to stop the bleeding from a recruiting standpoint asap.

Duke’s NBA players are making around $300M this year and have $1.2Bn in career earnings.

UNC is $70M and $340M.

No one is going to Cuse to “whoop some southerners”. You’re applying fan thinking where it shouldn’t be applied.

I think prep schools destroyed a lot of this. These elite kids aren’t even playing in the city anymore, they’re playing at a prep school in rural America for 4 years, they’re not on the playgrounds becoming legends and the entire neighborhood is coming to the garden to cheer him on. All these things slowly disappeared until you didn’t even realize it was gone.

JB thought he was smarter than the coach on the other bench - and usually was, and could win with what they had.

There are way too many stories of us taking passes on kids, etc over the last several seasons.
Jay Wright won 2 titles with future NBA players that weren't a "good fit" for the almighty zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom