Snap first half observations | Syracusefan.com

Snap first half observations

RF2044

Living Legend
  • Bourama is our guy in the pivot. Hand's down
  • Howard is a nice complimentary player, but not sure he will ever be a top flight player here
  • Brissett has a lot of Southerland in him
  • Washington will be pretty darn good lead guard as an upperclassman
  • Dolezaj will be a good player once he has an offensive game
  • We need to rebound a LOT better to be competitive in the ACC

Late edit:
  • Nice to see Chukwu get into a flow in the second half. Once he got some blocks, all of the sudden he was chasing down rebounds, had a back to the basket move, etc. Not that anyone is going to mistake tonight's performance for Shaq, but it was nice to see what he could do playing with a little confidence.

Last edited:
  • Bourama is our guy in the pivot. Hand's down
  • Howard is a nice complimentary player, but not sure he will ever be a top flight player here
  • Brissett has a lot of Southerland in him
  • Washington will be pretty darn good lead guard as an upperclassman
  • Dolezaj will be a good player once he has an offensive game
  • We need to rebound a LOT better to be competitive in the ACC

Agree with pretty much all. As far as Brissett, I think he is, or will be, a better ball handler than James ever was.

-Bourama is Christmas as a freshmen. The way he plays and looks out there.
-Brissett reminds me more of a Wesley Johnson
Yes, but could possibly play "bigger". Wes is one of my all time favorites but I could see Brissett playing above the win. Both have that smoothness quality.

Think this season is going to depend how quickly this zone comes together. We're going to have to be excellent on defense this year to make the tournament.
agreed

Yes, but could possibly play "bigger". Wes is one of my all time favorites but I could see Brissett playing above the win. Both have that smoothness quality.
I hope the apt comparison doesn't end up being Done Greene -- didn't live the shot selection/ settling for jumpers in the first half.

I see Wes in Brissett a little bit. He’s quicker and more explosive than Joseph. His body looks good for a frosh. Pretty toned and he’s a little stronger than I thought.

Would’ve liked to see more driving 1H. FH needs to do that. He played ok.

No question re: Bourama. He knows how to play and does things Chukwu can only dream of. It’s nice that Pascal did some good things but when we start facing good D1 teams like Oakland and such we won’t be seeing much Chukwu I bet. He’s just too raw still, IMO, and will be a liability against decent D1 teams.

Marek seems pretty skilled. Skinny. Hard to say how much he will play in a month or so.

Bummed not to see Geno.

Overall the chemistry seems better. Defensively they will be better. As far as it translating to wins, we’ll see.

I see Wes in Brissett a little bit. He’s quicker and more explosive than Joseph. His body looks good for a frosh. Pretty toned and he’s a little stronger than I thought.

Would’ve liked to see more driving 1H. FH needs to do that. He played ok.

No question re: Bourama. He knows how to play and does things Chukwu can only dream of. It’s nice that Pascal did some good things but when we start facing good D1 teams like Oakland and such we won’t be seeing much Chukwu I bet. He’s just too raw still, IMO, and will be a liability against decent D1 teams.

Marek seems pretty skilled. Skinny. Hard to say how much he will play in a month or so.

Bummed not to see Geno.

Overall the chemistry seems better. Defensively they will be better. As far as it translating to wins, we’ll see.
Fair.

Think this season is going to depend how quickly this zone comes together. We're going to have to be excellent on defense this year to make the tournament.
This is a good time for a white knuckle gif.

That all seems spot on.

- Sidibe is out best interior option, and I don't think it's close. It was nice to see Chukwu a little more aggressive defensively, but this was a bunch of 6'5" D2 kids. He's going to get pushed around by anyone with any decent size. I wish BS had about 10-15 lbs of bulk/muscle. I also didn't realize he's already 20...
- I dread Frank running the offense. He just isn't a PG. With his improved jumper, he sure looks like a better off guard to me. He just doesn't know how to get the offense going or initiate movement.
- HW is our best PG, at least without seeing Thorpe. I don't think he's ready to play a ton of minutes, but he certainly looks a lot better than Frank in the half-court. He also is very confident from 3.
- OB looked good once he settled in. Can hit from mid range or deep, though I want to see him driving more in the next exhibition. I think he's more Kris Jo, Malachi, Wes Johnson than Southerland, who was strictly a catch and shoot guy that ran like a gazelle.
- Marek is skinny and weak with the ball, but you can see the bball IQ seems to be there. I think he's a better option for minutes than Moyer, but I don't know if we can survive big minutes of Marek and the centers against anybody that can rebound even somewhat well.
- Rebounding and interior D is going to be a really, really big problem, especially the glass. I just don't see how this team competes in the ACC with such skinny players and a limited offense.

Based on one game, I'm not overly confident my 16-15 prediction will even be met...Yuck.

I liked pressing and hope we do a lot of that, but I won't hold my breath.

That all seems spot on.

- Rebounding and interior D is going to be a really, really big problem, especially the glass. I just don't see how this team competes in the ACC with such skinny players and a limited offense.

Based on one game, I'm not overly confident my 16-15 prediction will even be met...Yuck.

After a game in which we BLOCKED SIXTEEN SHOTS, your takeaway was that interior D is going to be a really, really big problem?
Mkay. :rolleyes:

Baye was an excellent interior defender, and I doubt he weighed a single ounce more than Sidibe does right now.
Ditto for Rico the past 2 years - yes, he wasn't a 5, but he acquitted himself there very well on D, by necessity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom