So about that running game.. | Syracusefan.com

So about that running game..

upperdeck

Living Legend
Finally got around to watching the replay.. only watched the first 5 or so planned runs.. none of them really worked.. But watching them makes you think it can get better. this was not getting over powered which is what you really fear

1) 7 in the box. LT/LG combo block TE blocked the rush end.. TE missed the block and the handoff between the LT/Lg failed and ended up with Elmore blocking air. TE not holding the block and the LT missing the block. bad blocking but with a line that has not played at all together and a new guard thats what you get.

2) 7 in the box.. Elmore in backfield. the DE crashed down unblocked, the pulling LG missed the block and Elmore missed is block in space.. Huge hole if they make their blocks

3) 6 in box.. Design QB run with 3 set up left in screen formation. the DB ignored the Run fake the outside slot DB ignore the screen . TD did a poor job of holding the run fake to get outside the DB. Had he done that then the outside run works or the pass/run works with a 3on2 on the screen. instead if blew up.

4) 7 in the box. We pulled the LT/LG combo. Elmore missed his lead block in space. RG didnt hold his block, Play goes from 5-7 yd gain to zero pretty fast

5) 6 in box. This was right after the fumbled punt. Again the outside LB ignores the fake and just crashes down, but TD gave it up so fast the play is blown up.. nothing wrong with the play or the blocking, if TD holds this one he has no one left on that side of the field..

What we see is that the oline is having issues in space and we have QB running plays he isnt really that good at running.. you put a QB more comfortable and several of these plays work.. with all the blocking Elmore has done is space he still isnt all that great at it. 2 of these plays should have led to big yardage 2 more should have been positive yds and 1 could have gone either way.. It also showed that UNC didnt honor any of the fakes and if teams are gonna do that then we need to scheme that better to handle it. if you are gonna go 3-4 wide and teams are just gonna crash down then we need to send the TE/Rb out or up the field on occasion to slow that down and throw the screen more often to stop the DB from ignoring it or fake the handoff and throw the screen late off a run fake.

we see this week what they change up cause Pitt is gonna see how we didnt handle it and gonna do the same thing.

My one and only question. Can we score at least “A“ (one) touchdown this week? LOL. I’m not asking for much. ;-)

We haven’t run the ball well overall the last 50 games. Trying to run against 7 in the box without a running QB put us at a disadvantage. When you lack talent at RB/OL is becomes what we have seen.

Not an OL guy so appreciate the information. It just seems that our O Line play is always a missed block or blown assignment away from winning the battle. We need to do better

Not an OL guy so appreciate the information. It just seems that our O Line play is always a missed block or blown assignment away from winning the battle. We need to do better
And we need to commit less penalties

My one and only question. Can we score at least “A“ (one) touchdown this week? LOL. I’m not asking for much. ;-)
on offence please .. I expect one by D or Special teams

Yes.

On offense?
Don’t get your hopes up. :confused:

We haven’t run the ball well overall the last 50 games. Trying to run against 7 in the box without a running QB put us at a disadvantage. When you lack talent at RB/OL is becomes what we have seen.
Though it sounds like poor execution. Maybe that is talent or maybe it's just execution which is fixable. The question is how many times do you try again to see if the players can execute? Players in the film room take pride in not getting called out for poor execution. They want those failures to turn into success. It will be interesting to see how the staff calls the next game.

My take is that expecting Elmore with no game experience and almost no real contact/scrimmage experience to do it right at game speed was a reach.. pass protection wasnt a total bust. Handled the blitz better than last yr and almost all the sacks there was time for a throw