So does John Thompson, sr. make an appearance Sat? | Syracusefan.com

So does John Thompson, sr. make an appearance Sat?

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
at what may be the last G'Town visit to the dome?

And if he does do we wax all nostalgic recognizing the fun along with the great rivaly over the years and give a polite cheer and ovation, or do we remember the Manley thing with the officially closed line?

Sitting here right now, also knowing he and JB seem to have had a good relationship, well sitting here I'd be inclined to cheer giving an almost thank you for the memories nod as some of my GREATEST early life moments were at those SU/Gtown games. Or does my emotion at the dome after many doam foams get the better of me and lead to me want to throw an orange at his head Patrick Ewing style?

Gonna be a game time decision I think...oh the confliction.

I agree. Without him to play the constant foil/villain, would the rivalry have taken off the way it did? That comment over 30 years ago is what ignited the rivalry and made it so special. I'd like to thank him for it.

"the syracuse carrier dome home winning streak is..."

(by the way you're talkin' john thompson jr.)

If he does show up I hope the Dome has this cued up

If he does show up I hope the Dome has this cued up

some enterprising folks at SU should work on this and have this done with him with a special introduction to this them. I'd cheer wildly if they could pull this off! Make it worth his while CBS/SU and make this happen. Can you imagine the fun PR for that?

No way he'll be at the Dome. Expect him to be very prominent at the Verizon Center in two weeks.

No way he'll be at the Dome. Expect him to be very prominent at the Verizon Center in two weeks.
yep I'm sure, as old JT wouldn't even consider it. However, new more media friendly JT long since out of the fray and able to look back on it more fondly at the rivalry in a balanced perspective wise sort of way, he who is now a part of the media now himself, this new JT might consider it for PR reasons for himself if someone broached it correctly.

Again can imagine the fun PR for all? Fun dream though you're right...

I would love for him to come and give him a nice respectful boo. No chance he comes though.

I would love for him to come and give him a nice respectful boo. No chance he comes though.

i doubt it would be all that respectful.

The rivalry was never the same after he left. It would be appropriate for him to be there. This is the first really exciting game with Gtown in the Dome that I can remember since the days when Big John roamed the sidelines.

I personally would love it. He was one of the main factors in the rivalry. And enough time has gone by for us to boo with appreciation and with a smile because of the great moments that he provided. They were the perfect rival for us for a very long time. I just wish they held up their end of it after JT left. Duke/UNC is great because they are both always good. Gtowns downfall after JT hurt the rivalry a bit and allowed Calhouns Uconn to take over. Glad to see them doing well again and wish they were a top 5 team (though 11 aint bad). Those old games on CBS are lasting memories that I will never forget. Our neighborhood would shut down for those 3 hours and after the game the whole hood would run out to the courts and relive the game.

F him and GTown. Polite cheer? Give him hell.

i don't know that the decibel meter in the dome has EVER been higher than the game when he was tossed. classic!

I'll never forget that moment bone - simply awesome! As for decibels, I still remember senior day and the cheer The General got - that was pretty darn loud as well. Not to mention the West Virginia football game back in '87. The quietest I ever heard it in the Dome was after Charles Smith hit the running scoop shot at the end of the Gtown game back in 1988 - that sucked! I was there for all those games and hope Saturday we get a classic as well! Let's Go Orange!

Can't agree more. Gtown will have everyone on parade at the Verizon Center, even Craig Esherick. ;)

Can't agree more. Gtown will have everyone on parade at the Verizon Center, even Craig Esherick. ;)

Victor Page will be on hand as special guest mop-guy.

i don't know that the decibel meter in the dome has EVER been higher than the game when he was tossed. classic!
I am relatively new in my SU fandom, but the loudest it was in my four years on the hill (2008-2012) was I believe 2010 when we went down like 14-2 early against Gtown. When Syracuse started clawing back into it, the game was electric. Attendence was only like 25-27k, but the atmosphere was amazing.

I am relatively new in my SU fandom, but the loudest it was in my four years on the hill (2008-2012) was I believe 2010 when we went down like 14-2 early against Gtown. When Syracuse started clawing back into it, the game was electric. Attendence was only like 25-27k, but the atmosphere was amazing.

Yeah, I concur with this! I think BK/Bnoro had the same opinions on this as well. I've been to several Georgetown games, and lots of other big games since 1998 and that was the loudest I've heard the dome. It was just an extremely ramped up crowd.

As Mistakebythelake says, I think going down 14-0 to begin the game really got people riled up to begin with, and comebacks just get people whipped up into a frenzy.

The Nova game that same year though was rather impressive. That was the only game I've ever been to where it seemed like no one sat down. Not even during timeouts (at least in 310).

I honestly can't wait for Wednesday's game as well, I hope we come out and play very well and aren't looking ahead to Saturday. And Saturday will probably be my favorite dome experience and it won't even be close.

Reactions: cto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom