So has Battle’s tournament play | Syracusefan.com

So has Battle’s tournament play

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
Affected his draft status? I know you all say he’s gone but it opens some scouts eyes when you’re shooting badly in college basketball’s biggest stage. This is the time to perform if you are thinking about the NBA. Just playing good defense isn’t going to get you drafted.

Affected his draft status? I know you all say he’s gone but it opens some scouts eyes when you’re shooting badly in college basketball’s biggest stage. This is the time to perform if you are thinking about the NBA. Just playing good defense isn’t going to get you drafted.

I fully expect him to have a good game on Sunday...and no, 2 games will not affect his status.

Battle hit a Kobe level 3 at the end of the Arizona State game.
That 3 won us that game.
He hasn’t been hot but we as a team haven’t been hitting shots.

Kid can leave and we as fans should be happy with the 2 years he gave the program.

Battle hit a Kobe level 3 at the end of the Arizona State game.
That 3 won us that game.
He hasn’t been hot but we as a team haven’t been hitting shots.

Kid can leave and we as fans should be happy with the 2 years he gave the program.
Im happy hes here now. I want him to stay and get better. He can improve his draft status for next year.

Hasn't hurt and hasn't helped. Still sitting as a 2nd Rounder with fringe 1st Round possibilities.

Be instrumental in beating Michigan State and the tournament can still help him.

I think he is still gone, but OB may pass him in terms of draft stock if we keep winning.

The larger the body of work, the more the scouts know where he fits.
If he was borderline first, he's fallen slightly.
He certainly hasn't moved up based upon these last two games, IMHO

i have looked at quite few mockos. never see ty in the first round. more often then not do not even see him in the second round.

i think the question for ty is would he rather come back or play in the g league.

he can get his points, but he is not an efficient scorer. if he came back to a team w more help he should be able to improve his efficiency. if he could do that, get rid of his shooting hitch, and learn to drive both ways that might get him into the first round next season.

Early second rounder right now, but could easily go up depending how he measures up and impresses people at the draft combine. Will have the chance to play versus those who he will be competing against for a job, could jump a lot of spots if he does well.

When people on here generically say “he’s gone” now I’m starting to think they mean Oshae Mr Double double

Would like to see a backcourt of Frank, Hughes, Carey, Buddy, and Washington next year

Would like to see a backcourt of Frank, Hughes, Carey, Buddy, and Washington next year

That's a whole court, not just a backcourt.

Given that JB rarely plays more than 3 guards (see: Frosh Dion, Frosh MCW), and that Washington is coming off an injury, you may not see any of him next year - could end up redshirting, especially if there's that much depth ahead of him.

As good as Carey is, JB loves upperclassmen, and values experience.
So, I think you're right, that it's Frank and Hughes, with Carey off the bench spelling them both, a smattering of Buddy here and there (if he also doesn't redshirt), and - that's it.

Now - imagine if Tyus actually were to come back?
Holy hell, we'd be STACKED.

Battle is a great player - problem is there are a lot of other great players - watching Bucknell/MSU the other day - #23 for Bucknell is a better player than Battle let alone Bridges and Jackson for MSU - not only that - several mock drafts do not have Battle getting picked in the second round - if you are a unanimous 2nd round pick you should not be leaving early

That's a whole court, not just a backcourt.

Given that JB rarely plays more than 3 guards (see: Frosh Dion, Frosh MCW), and that Washington is coming off an injury, you may not see any of him next year - could end up redshirting, especially if there's that much depth ahead of him.

As good as Carey is, JB loves upperclassmen, and values experience.
So, I think you're right, that it's Frank and Hughes, with Carey off the bench spelling them both, a smattering of Buddy here and there (if he also doesn't redshirt), and - that's it.

Now - imagine if Tyus actually were to come back?
Holy hell, we'd be STACKED.

With that backcourt, I'm hoping for a more spread out offense with better ball movement. Hopefully something similar to the 2012 team. A thing of beauty to watch.

Yes it all factors in my gut is he's gone but I haven't seen him in mock first rounds.

He’s more likely to fall to mid 2nd round than rise to solid 1st round by virtue of being older. Just the way it is.

I don't know how much that "older" thing is of any true significance versus a false negative. Battle is a true sophomore, if he comes back next year and gets into the first round, that's guaranteed money vs. 2nd round not being guaranteed. Mikal Bridges at 'Nova is a junior, him being a junior doesn't seem to have any negative impact on his draft status according to mocks.

Thoughts about Battle leaving basically consume me at this point. Seems like the world has him going early second round, 35-45 or so. His NCAA tourney play has been meh, but as others have said I doubt this will hurt him much (small sample size etc.) It is not helping him at least. It basically all comes down to the combine, which unfortunately I think he will crush as his biggest weakness is his shooting which NBA teams are often willing to overlook as a player can theoretically figure that out later.

I love the kid, and of course want what's best for him in the long run, yet selfishly want him to have a mediocre combine (this year), then not be lied to by agents, so he decides to stay and we can make a real run at it next year. Next year he can go as high as he wants :)

Thoughts about Battle leaving basically consume me at this point. Seems like the world has him going early second round, 35-45 or so. His NCAA tourney play has been meh, but as others have said I doubt this will hurt him much (small sample size etc.) It is not helping him at least. It basically all comes down to the combine, which unfortunately I think he will crush as his biggest weakness is his shooting which NBA teams are often willing to overlook as a player can theoretically figure that out later.

I love the kid, and of course want what's best for him in the long run, yet selfishly want him to have a mediocre combine (this year), then not be lied to by agents, so he decides to stay and we can make a real run at it next year. Next year he can go as high as he wants :)

I’m also hoping, but not expecting, he keep an open mind and eventually decides to use another year to improve his position. I think this unique, awesome experience he’s having this first weekend can only help in that regard, he may want to duplicate it 1 more time.

sexton just got beat down by nova. he's still going pretty high i imagine.

I'm completely baffled by his total lack of ability to get by the TCU guards when they were playing man to man... It didn't feel like they were shading extra defenders or playing any junk defenses open him. He just couldn't get open. Doesn't bode well for him given that TCU's guards don't seem terribly athletic or great defenders.

In Battle's defense the grind of 40 mpg all year is probably catching up to him and it clearly has impacted his explosion.