So here's the deal to all the "I'm not watching the NIT" crew | Syracusefan.com

So here's the deal to all the "I'm not watching the NIT" crew

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
One of the most exciting games I ever saw in the Dome was the 2002* NIT against Butler that went to Overtime. I still remember moments from that game 15 years later. I had amazing seats, and it was incredible to me how loud it got in the Dome with only 10k people or so. Why? The people who were there wanted to be there and were loud. It was an awesome game experience and a great basketball game.

If I can get up and excited for a basketball game of former Syracuse also-rans in "TBT" in July for a title that is honestly meaningless, I sure as hell can get up for an NIT game featuring some good teams and some great basketball...even if I don't care about the banner if we hang it.

Obviously everyone is disappointed that we didn't make it. But if JB and crew are patrolling the sidelines and the name on the uniform is still Syracuse, I'll still be watching and pulling for the guys in orange. Sometimes it's easy to get hung up on banners and titles and all that, but it's the journey that matters. If we play some good basketball like I know we are capable of, I'll still enjoy watching. But that's just me. That potential IU matchup next Wednesday is exciting to this guy if we manage to get that far for instance.

*Fixed, thanks Eric15

Last edited:
One of the most exiting games I ever saw in the Dome was the 2001 NIT against Butler that went to Overtime. I still remember moments from that game 16 years later. I had amazing seats, and it was incredible to me how loud it got in the Dome with only 10k people or so. Why? The people who were there wanted to be there and were loud. It was an awesome game experience and a great basketball game.

If I can get up and excited for a basketball game of former Syracuse also-rans in "TBT" in July for a title that is honestly meaningless, I sure as hell can get up for an NIT game featuring some good teams and some great basketball...even if I don't care about the banner if we hang it.

Obviously everyone is disappointed that we didn't make it. But if JB and crew are patrolling the sidelines and the name on the uniform is still Syracuse, I'll still be watching and pulling for the guys in orange. Sometimes it's easy to get hung up on banners and titles and all that, but it's the journey that matters. If we play some good basketball like I know we are capable of, I'll still enjoy watching. But that's just me. That potential IU matchup next Wednesday is exciting to this guy if we manage to get that far for instance.

2002*. And you're absolutely right -- I remember that game well. It was a very unique environment of the truly hardcore SU fans. Not to generalize (but I'm going to anyway) it's not the type of fans who often sit down low at the Duke game who are more there for the spectacle aspect and not because they bleed orange.

2002*. And you're absolutely right -- I remember that game well. It was a very unique environment of the truly hardcore SU fans. Not to generalize (but I'm going to anyway) it's not the type of fans who often sit down low at the Duke game who are more there for the spectacle aspect and not because they bleed orange.
They had this kid Miller, I still remember the name on the back of his jersey (and I am a type who never pays attention to players on another team even to this day), because that dude was a midget pg raining 3's from seemingly half court. As frustrating as it was, you had to respect the hell out of how that kid played. I looked him up and it appears he's actually an assistant coach at Butler now.

Oh, and thanks for the correction Eric, I'll amend the original post.

I agree with your take Ragman. This idea that the NIT is below the team so the fans aren't going to support is the most arrogant thing I've ever heard. It shows that those fans think it is about themselves personally. What they really think is this team is below them. If you are a Syracuse fan, it is mind blowing to think you have zero interest in any Syracuse game. And if you really cared, you'd be there to support the players who are the ones who actually take the hit, not us fans.

Also, if you're a family with little kids who may not be able to afford to sit down low during a normal game, this is a great opportunity to get your kids very close to the action, and create another generation of hardcore Cuse fans.

That game was pretty fun. I remember sitting by the Butler band and heckling them, all the Butler guards were little tykes and Shumpert had like 35 pts. It was a good atmosphere, all things considered.

I agree with your take Ragman. This idea that the NIT is below the team so the fans aren't going to support is the most arrogant thing I've ever heard. It shows that those fans think it is about themselves personally. What they really think is this team is below them. If you are a Syracuse fan, it is mind blowing to think you have zero interest in any Syracuse game. And if you really cared, you'd be there to support the players who are the ones who actually take the hit, not us fans.

You can watch if you want. People are entitled to their opinion and it doesn't reflect on them personally. They just don't care for the NIT.

One of the most exciting games I ever saw in the Dome was the 2002* NIT against Butler that went to Overtime. I still remember moments from that game 15 years later. I had amazing seats, and it was incredible to me how loud it got in the Dome with only 10k people or so. Why? The people who were there wanted to be there and were loud. It was an awesome game experience and a great basketball game.

*Fixed, thanks Eric15

I hope they make it to the Garden...so I can see them play...

I say there's nothing wrong with wanting to get that little league trophy for 69th place! ;):bang:

You can watch if you want. People are entitled to their opinion and it doesn't reflect on them personally. They just don't care for the NIT.
Just who does it reflect on then??

I play basketball on Tuesday nights. So I wasn't planning on watching this game live either way. I'll likely DVR it, (EDIT ALL THE REST). Time out for being a dummy.

Last edited:

*Fixed, thanks Eric15

Excellent post!!

Here's the rundown of the NIT winners & runners up (& MVP) since '03.
There are a LOT of "name brand" programs involved.
It is NOT beneath us to try to win this.

2016 George Washington Valparaiso Tyler Cavanaugh, George Washington
2015 Stanford Miami (FL) Chasson Randle, Stanford
2014 Minnesota SMU Austin Hollins, Minnesota
2013 Baylor Iowa Pierre Jackson, Baylor
2012 Stanford Minnesota Aaron Bright, Stanford [53]
2011 Wichita State Alabama Graham Hatch, Wichita State
2010 Dayton North Carolina Chris Johnson, Dayton
2009 Penn State Baylor Jamelle Cornley, Penn State
2008 Ohio State Massachusetts Kosta Koufos, Ohio State
2007 West Virginia Clemson Frank Young, West Virginia
2006 South Carolina Michigan Renaldo Balkman, South Carolina
2005 South Carolina Saint Joseph's Carlos Powell, South Carolina
2004 Michigan Rutgers Daniel Horton, Michigan
2003 Vacated [note 1] Georgetown Vacated [note 2]

Funny/interesting notes:
O Hai Georgetown! You actually made it past the first weekend... :p
Rutgers can basketball?? Ditto Penn St? Who knew?? :noidea:
The "Mystery Recruit" with an MVP performance.

If programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Stanford, UNC, and Baylor can get over the humiliation of being relegated to the NIT, and play well enough to make the Final, then so can we.

And if you really cared, you'd be there to support the players who are the ones who actually take the hit, not us fans.

It's a tad hypocritical to decry the arrogance of others for not wanting to go to an NIT game and then somewhat arrogantly state that they somehow don't care or care less about the program/players than those who go. Like it or not, the NIT is below us and it's disappointing for all involved. Players understand what the NIT games are and I doubt they put much value into the fans showing up or not. They don't need the emotional support.

Also, if you're a family with little kids who may not be able to afford to sit down low during a normal game, this is a great opportunity to get your kids very close to the action, and create another generation of hardcore Cuse fans.

source.gif

*Fixed, thanks Eric15

Agreed, I was there too and that game and crowd was a lot of fun. Shumpert was lighting it up.

I had fun at the Maryland game in 2008 too. I remember Flynn making a between the legs bounce pass to a trailing Donte Greene for a dunk.

I'm only watching the NIT. The NCAA tourney can [comment removed due to rampant inappropriateness].

Exactly. If people were really all about Syracuse - it would be the NCAA they wouldn't be watching. Wouldn't it? It was the NCAA that rejected Syracuse. So as a result our fans are also going to reject Syracuse? I've been called a hypocrite for this logic, in a surprising turn of events.

I am not watching any basketball due to [Comment removed due to extreme profanity]

Exactly. If people were really all about Syracuse - it would be the NCAA they wouldn't be watching. Wouldn't it? It was the NCAA that rejected Syracuse. So as a result our fans are also going to reject Syracuse? I've been called a hypocrite for this logic, in a surprising turn of events.

Your comment wasn't called hypocritical for that logic.

Our NIT Final Title Game against Tulsa was just fantastic. As good a game as one could hope to have watched.

TULSA DEFEATS SYRACUSE BY 86-84 IN OVERTIME TO WIN N.I.T. FINAL

We had three starters foul out & still almost took it in OT.

I think a strong effort in the NIT would also prove the team has grit and heart and prove the NCAA committee made a mistake.

As somebody else above said, if it spells Syracuse on the front of the jersey I will watch.

Although this is a noreaster, watch how many times the announcers will say "Syracuse, where it snows like no where on the planet!". Wait, will there be any announcers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom