So... how many passes is Tucker going to catch? | Syracusefan.com

So... how many passes is Tucker going to catch?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
It hit me today that there's a really good chance that Tucker could be both our leading rusher and receptions leader (probably should have thought about this before I put my Cali predictions together).

Anyway, we've never really thought of Tucker as a dual threat back, at least I haven't. What's the upper limit on his potential to catch passes this season? Like, 60 receptions sounds nuts, and then I think that's 5 a game, for a high usage running back maybe that isn't crazy.

What do you all think?

imo this is where you’ll see Price and Allen get run.

My guess for Tucker is 26 catches.

the leading Virg RB last yr had 16.. With this style he may well get more but if he is gonna run for 1400 there is no way he also catches 60 passes. That would be too many touches..

last year Virg was 340/350 runs to passes SU was 500 to 150.. I am hoping its more like 400/400 this yr. I extra game and an offense that stays on the field better. Tucker gets his 200 carries and 30 catches and the other RBS/Wrs get more and shrader runs when he wants and not as much he needs to.

if we get over 300 passes thrown and complete 60+% thats a good thing

Last edited:
I don't think they want any one guy carrying too much of the load. I can see about 25 catches and wouldn't be surprised if he also had fewer carrys than last year with a higher per carry average.

Feels low to me.

One will have less total receptions if said receptions go for 6 almost everytime. Add to that we'll be playing with a 2+ score lead and handing off to run clock and keep our defense fresh after halftime... Which won't work because said handoffs will also go for 6 almost everytime.

Sean Tucker... 112 carries 32 receptions 44 Touchdowns 6/9 144 yards 4 TD... Pre playoffs

I was thinking 25-30. Don't overdo it so it's still a surprise in games, but also something to prep for.

I also think a non QB will throw the ball at least three times this year, hopefully Sean is one, And it's for a TD

We have too many offensive tools to get Tucker many passes. I imagine he will be a decoy most of the time … which makes the 2 times/game we actually throw to him a big deal. I’d say 24 catches. Maybe 30 if we have one of those games where the opposing defensive coordinator just won’t believe we will pass to Tucker *again*

No idea. But I would bet that many of his catches will be in red zone/goal line situations.

So I looked it up, which I should have done at the start, Tucker caught 20 passes last season. Have to think he'll surpass that by a lot since it's been mentioned this is something they're emphasizing.

So I looked it up, which I should have done at the start, Tucker caught 20 passes last season. Have to think he'll surpass that by a lot since it's been mentioned this is something they're emphasizing.

Depends a lot on in game conditions. Hopefully we can keep him happy with enough touches and equally be in positions where we can keep him fresh and give others some run. Realistically 20-25 touches per game is probably ideal.

Yeah, I've gotta imagine that 3 / game is kinda on the low side, given it's a "point of emphasis" for the O this year.
So, if he 'only' gets 2 catches / half, that's 48 for the regular season.

And he'll still get his 20 carries, which will get him over 100+ yards in the majority of games.

Yeah, I've gotta imagine that 3 / game is kinda on the low side, given it's a "point of emphasis" for the O this year.
So, if he 'only' gets 2 catches / half, that's 48 for the regular season.

And he'll still get his 20 carries, which will get him over 100+ yards in the majority of games.
You're starting to convince me to edit my CaliAwards post for most receptions.:)

I've been thinking that with Tucker coming back, he was probably promised to be more involved as a pass catcher. The NFL is definitely moving that way and wants its RBs to be able to catch. Think it would be a win win for everyone

I feel he is going to be around 45 to 50 pass attempts. A few less runs more passes.
Rhino will be the pass blocker when trucker goes out for the pass.
I’d like this play. Two wr, rhino, Allen and Tucker. Rhino stays for pass protection. Allen and Tucker run crossing pattern 10 to 15 yards out. One receiver 30 yards out over the middle. The other receiver deep on the sideline.

One will have less total receptions if said receptions go for 6 almost everytime. Add to that we'll be playing with a 2+ score lead and handing off to run clock and keep our defense fresh after halftime... Which won't work because said handoffs will also go for 6 almost everytime.

Sean Tucker... 112 carries 32 receptions 44 Touchdowns 6/9 144 yards 4 TD... Pre playoffs
Seems about right to me.

Kid Calculating GIF by TLC

After careful consideration, the number is 37.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom