So if DM stays, are we better than 8-4 in '13? | Syracusefan.com

So if DM stays, are we better than 8-4 in '13?

billsin01

All American
Seriously, I really like the guy and am on board with everyone else that we have something going right now. I also understand that coaching changes aren't desirable. But this doesn't feel like replacing JB who's built a program that is humming along, nabbing national recruits and living in the top 10. Yeah, more stability there but a lot of uncertainty when the architect is gone.

But football? I like what DM has done and I probably like his recruiting more than most, but I'm not sure I'm worried about losing him the way I would worry about Chip Kelly or Jim Harbaugh, etc.

We could be under .500 next year with Marrone. Penn State and Northwestern to open the season. Anything is possible.

Seriously, I really like the guy and am on board with everyone else that we have something going right now. I also understand that coaching changes aren't desirable. But this doesn't feel like replacing JB who's built a program that is humming along, nabbing national recruits and living in the top 10. Yeah, more stability there but a lot of uncertainty when the architect is gone.

But football? I like what DM has done and I probably like his recruiting more than most, but I'm not sure I'm worried about losing him the way I would worry about Chip Kelly or Jim Harbaugh, etc.
Defense should be stout, run game should be solid, passing O should be competent. I can easily see us going 8-4.

If Marrone leaves and we have to start from scratch with a (basically) new staff, I think we are set back 2 years, before any consideration of where the new guy would take us from there.

We could be under .500 next year with Marrone. Penn State and Northwestern to open the season. Anything is possible.

We should stomp a hole in Penn State next year, they were a senior led team and I'm sure more kids are heading out the door this year.

8 and 4 would be a great season for us next year. Looking at the schedule I'm hard pressed to see better than that. It's not that the games are so difficult, but it's not a schedule with a lot of slam dunks.

Defense should be stout, run game should be solid, passing O should be competent. I can easily see us going 8-4.
With essentially no experience at QB, how do you figure he passing O should be competent? Don't let that pretty smile of RGLCL color your thinking. ;)

If Pugh comes back we will have the best O line in the conference. Any Qb can be good with the proper amount of time. I can see us being 8-4, 9-3.. but i am an optimistic SOB.

If Pugh comes back we will have the best O line in the conference. Any Qb can be good with the proper amount of time. I can see us being 8-4, 9-3.. but i am an optimistic SOB.

Ummm...
Not Sure if serious.jpg

With essentially no experience at QB, how do you figure he passing O should be competent? Don't let that pretty smile of RGLCL color your thinking. ;)
It's not how he throws, it's how he looks. And he looks marvelous. :p

It's a couple things. He's been in the offense for many years as the #2. Staff is confident in him - Hackett called a pass play without thinking twice when CL went into the Pinstripe, then CL tries to rush up to the line so he can stay in the game longer. He's done well in skills camps. And with the run game being strong, he should have a loosened D to throw against in most cases. Plus, just a hunch, but I don't think Marrone would have suspended Hunt for so long if he thought he needed Hunt as an able backup this year. Philcox part deux, I really think. At the college level, anyway.

My feeling is that I like this STAFF. I like HCDM and want him to stay. But I also really like this staff, and believe that they can take SU the next step up. There really isn't a single assistant on the staff that I would want SU to lose right now. If HCDM has his eyes on the prize of the NFL, I sincerely hope we have an heir apparent on the staff, who could step in when the time comes.

A football question?! (faints)

I think we stub our toe next year a couple times, just based on new parts. It'll hurt but not bad.

Same record or slight step back BUT any Top 25 teams on our schedule better watch out.

It's not how he throws, it's how he looks. And he looks marvelous. :p

It's a couple things. He's been in the offense for many years as the #2. Staff is confident in him - Hackett called a pass play without thinking twice when CL went into the Pinstripe, then CL tries to rush up to the line so he can stay in the game longer. He's done well in skills camps. And with the run game being strong, he should have a loosened D to throw against in most cases. Plus, just a hunch, but I don't think Marrone would have suspended Hunt for so long if he thought he needed Hunt as an able backup this year. Philcox part deux, I really think. At the college level, anyway.
This is a great point. When CL came in for that one play everyone and their mother said, "here comes a run". CL will be totally serviceable for next year while Z learns the ropes.

This is a great point. When CL came in for that one play everyone and their mother said, "here comes a run". CL will be totally serviceable for next year while Z learns the ropes.
Howard!

If the OL and run game can do some work in the beginning of the season, while the QB gets broken in, think we'll be ok. I'm guessing 6-6 or 7-5.

Hackett talked about that play in his post-game interview. Said he didn't even have a moment's hesitation. Called the play based on situation and what he thought was right, more or less, rather than who was in at QB.

SU stubs its toe a few times every year, not doing so would be something new.

Does SU go 8-4? I don't know. It depends if they can get any sort of passing game at all. Ryan at Rivals convinced me that they have lots of talent coming back as receivers, the running game should rock, defensively they should be better, just can they find a QB who can do something ... and of who's on the roster now, given that all you know is their press clippings, cuz none of them have played, I'd hope it's Terrell Hunt or one of the two coming in. I'm not convinced Loeb, Broyld, or Kinder do much for them.

And they need to put together some 8-4 seasons, and then they'll get guys like Ogundeko or Smith (last I saw, he postponed his announcement), even if they are nervous about the coach leaving. Bouncing between 8-4 (good) and a 5-7 collapse or even a 6-6 season is not going to do it. If SU's progression had been 4-8, 5-7, 8-5, 8-5, EO might've been more inclined to commit. 4-8, 8-5, 5-7, and 8-5, after four years of 10-37 means they're improving from off the map to relevance, but still with no true idea of where they're going.

Kev

Hackett talked about that play in his post-game interview. Said he didn't even have a moment's hesitation. Called the play based on situation and what he thought was right, more or less, rather than who was in at QB.

Hope so. Shows that Loeb is ready to step in, too. Hackett believes in these kids, as does Shafer. HCDM has done wonders since his arrival. I really enjoy seeing the kids grow under this coaching staff. Sure, we lose experience and sometimes ability when a backup comes in or a player graduates/leaves for the draft, but each kid knows what he is supposed to do and steps on the turf and does his absolute best.

I think we have some drop off at QB and the line, but running backs will only improve and the receivers waiting in the wings step up. Loeb/Hunt/Allen/Wilson do a good job and we win 6-8 games while developing more talent.