So if JB wasnt | Syracusefan.com

So if JB wasnt

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
a zone coach would he still be on the Olympic team coaching?

No. But that's only what Igor told me.

;)

JB is so entrenched with USA Basketball that I would think the true answer is YES. If not him, then who else? And, please, no one say Brad Stevens.

You want a guy who has coached internationally, has or could coach pro ball right now, and someone who is accomplished at their craft. There aren't many out there.

I believe that he would still be asked to help coach since he is friends with Coach K. Everyone has to remember that JB and MK are the most seasoned active coaches out there. Who wouldn't want two hall of fame coaches representing the Olympic team. They are not going to use it as a showcase for recruitment (Calipari) or get an extension on their personal contract. Both of those coaches do it for the love of the sport and the nation.

No. I don't think he would be.

Wasn't the bond formed over his love of boeheim's defense?

From Orangeyes link today:

"--------You and Coach K rank 1-2 in career victories among active Division I coaches. And now you find yourselves sitting next to each other on the coaching staff for the Olympic Team. Do you remember the first couple of times you met him?

I first met Mike on the recruiting trails and we got to know each other gradually that way. Our first time coaching together was the World Championships in 1990 in Argentina. Since that time, we've worked together, coached against each other, and have become close friends. Our families are close, as well. We have shared in weddings and personal celebrations over the years. It has been great fun working together over these years. We have shared in unbelievable basketball and life experiences.----"

If JB wasn't a coaching icon with numerous NCAA records and soon-to-be 2nd in all-time wins, would he still be on the Olympic Team coaching?
Maybe, maybe not...but he'd be deserving either way. :noidea:

Yes because the man is a basketball genius--more than just a zone coach.

Absolutely. The "zone coach" might very well be sitting in K's seat. He's certainly more highly regarded in basketball circles than he is among the SU fan base.

I know why you are asking the question, so please don't take this the wrong way. It's actually a good question. My answer:

Who cares.

He is a zone coach and the zone is a REALLY important of the International game. So that's why he is there.

44cuse

a zone coach would he still be on the Olympic team coaching?
Yes. There is a reason Coach K only accepted the job of coaching the national team for one more 4 year term if Jim Boeheim agreed to again serve on his staff as his right hand man.

JB has been involved with USA basketball for 30 plus years. He knows more about international basketball and tactics than anyone in the US.

The higher he has moved up, the more authority he has had, the better the national teams have done. He is where he is because he belongs there. He gets results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom