So many problems | Syracusefan.com

So many problems

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
So many different glaring problems with this team. Honestly, the number one problem is that Syracuse really has no one that can penetrate effectively consistently. No one can create for others during big east play. MCW obviously leads nation in assist, but come on, I was at the game saturday and he is completely out of control on a lot of his drives. Has a horrible habit of doing jump passes which lead to those momentum killer TOs. MCW can penetrate a little and create for others, but other than him, NO ONE can create for others.

Secondly, the offensive movement makes me want to cry. Literally none. This cuse fan and I were just laughing at moments in the second half where literally our players would stand in the same general position a whole possession. UNACCEPTABLE at this level. This team simply is not good enough to just stand around on offense. They need to be much more hard to guard. GTown was setting flare screens, moving so well against our zone and it led to easy shots.

Thirdly, James Southerland needs to get the thought of him having the green light whenever out of his mind. He consistently takes 5-7 awful shots a game and I have no idea as to how he keeps getting allowed to shoot 15 footers with a guy right in his face off of first pass, or a 30 footer with two guys in his face off of one pass.

In addition, lord knows we have no inside game. NONE! No threats to pass, score, or screen to help get others open. In Syracuse's offense, the big men are a complete bump on a log. They are useless. They do not serve their teammates by getting them open. This falls on coaches AND players. Watch the good teams, the bigs always screen off the ball because it is so much more hard to guard. Since the cuse really has no one who can penetrate, them sitting in the short corner all possession waiting for a dish then dunk serves the cuse no good!

I could go on and on, but good grief, I just cannot gain any confidence in this team to win a big game in these next two weeks. Hope to heck i'm wrong, but just cannot see it!

CUSE!

Bottom line is JB does not run plays/coach disciplined offense. His approach is free for-all. Some guys like it and thrive in such a system (usually talented athletes). However players who need some type of system that they need to learn to be effective fall flat on their face. This year's team needs some type of a discplined offense system (including inside game etc.) but we don't run anything. It is what it is. We don't run offensive plays like Duke or Michigan etc. Probably never will under JB.

Syracuse is you "do whatever you like offensively", however "you better learn a stringent defensive system". You miss a shot it's all cool, you miss a defensive assignment you get pulled. Very defensive oriented. And as everyone sees our defense is pretty damn awesome. That's what JB is good at.

One thing we do teach is great transition game (which is part of the offense but not really half court type offensive sets). What makes this year's team worse is not only are they really really bad at free-for-all half court game, they have not done much in transition like the teams of the last few years. This all equals 39 points in 40 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom