So much for JB's... | Syracusefan.com

So much for JB's...

manleyzoo

2nd String
...rock-headed argument that you can't play zone and M2M and do them both well. GT killed us with their zone in the Dome and reamed us with great M2M at their place. Maybe at our place you can't teach both but at some other places you can (see Louisville, Pitt, Marquette and a gazillion more examples). Lately, JB's taken to saying, with some irony in his voice, that other teams are using zone more often, missing the point, of course, that they also play M2M pretty darn well. I'm not a zone hater but the idea that you can only do one thing well at a time defensively is pretty lame.

While I understand your point there is more to it.

1. We recruit for the zone which tends to give us longer players that would not match up well against other teams in M2M. Picture Sutherland covering a normal 3 or even 4 man to man.

2. Although Gtown was good on d we did plenty to ourselves. I think his point is you cannot consistently be great at both and I tend to agree. You will not find many teams that have the athletic makeup to excel in M2M and the length to run an effective zone

Let's recruit basketball players. I look forward to the day when our hc (hop?) mixes in both.

Let's recruit basketball players. I look forward to the day when our hc (hop?) mixes in both.

You will still run into scheme problems either way. Sometimes the things fall into place sometimes they don't. Look at the season UK is having and you won't find. Ingle UK fan who didn't think they would go undefeated his year based on recruiting basketball players. My guess is had they recruited a couple of guys who could be role players as opposed o just going after pure talent they would be fring better. Hell look a t this board on paper most saw a top 10 team

You will still run into scheme problems either way. Sometimes the things fall into place sometimes they don't. Look at the season UK is having and you won't find. Ingle UK fan who didn't think they would go undefeated his year based on recruiting basketball players. My guess is had they recruited a couple of guys who could be role players as opposed o just going after pure talent they would be fring better. Hell look a t this board on paper most saw a top 10 team

To say you can't play zone and man defense is simply inaccurate. These kids have played both defenses their entire lives.

Most saw a top 10 team on paper with the assumption that a few things would fall into place over the course of the season. Namely, that Coleman, Rak, or both would give us some modicum of consistent inside scoring / rebounding. And second, that our backcourt trio would shoot the ball well enough to keep defenses reasonably honest.

Neither of those things came to be. And we were still in the top 10 for 2/3 of the season. Which is why if this team could ever get their heads out of their collective arses, they might still make some noise this postseason.

I totally agree with that. It seems far too often, JB and the staff are recruiting length and potential over true basketball skills and hoops IQ.

...rock-headed argument that you can't play zone and M2M and do them both well. GT killed us with their zone in the Dome and reamed us with great M2M at their place. Maybe at our place you can't teach both but at some other places you can (see Louisville, Pitt, Marquette and a gazillion more examples). Lately, JB's taken to saying, with some irony in his voice, that other teams are using zone more often, missing the point, of course, that they also play M2M pretty darn well. I'm not a zone hater but the idea that you can only do one thing well at a time defensively is pretty lame.
You can 't fairly judge another team's defense by how it does against our offense.

To say you can't play zone and man defense is simply inaccurate. These kids have played both defenses their entire lives.

I said be great at both not play at both. It would be rare to find a Team that is GREAT on D in th man to man and zone.