So much for our OOC schedule... | Syracusefan.com

So much for our OOC schedule...

cto

Administrator
Twentieth ranked UNLV tonight defeated someone called La Verne... a D-3 school with 1500 undergrad students.

What an alley-oop ... c'mon, CTO, slam it home ;-)

Come on CTO, don't leave Toga hanging. That set-up was like it came from The General! ;)

As for the thread title, I guess I feel ever so slightly not as bad(I wont say better) about our consistent OOC schedule. I don't want to become a villain for mentioning this as well as my disgust at the loss of life and those warm up jerseys(I seriously was too nervous to read the replies), and my complaints last year about missing the Big East, but I think we likely deserve a top 25 ranking of crappiest OOC schedules for programs of our caliber. That said, I am curious how things like that UNLV/La Verne come to be? Is it because most of NV (landwise) is unpopulated? If so, I can't imagine the Orange schedule if the school was in such a state :)

It stems from every team trying to get as many home games as possible. UB is playing two Division II teams this year. A couple years ago they played Buff State. They just can't find enough schools willing to do a home-and-home, which is baffling to me because UB is within a bus ride of both eastern teams and mid-western teams and recently their RPI has been respectable.

There's talk of the MAC going from 16 to 18 conference games for precisely this reason.

I wonder if their uniforms contain a large, garish script L on the left chest.

images

I heard that they run on to the court to..."One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Sclemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.
We're gonna do it!"

Come on CTO, don't leave Toga hanging. That set-up was like it came from The General! ;)

but I think we likely deserve a top 25 ranking of crappiest OOC schedules for programs of our caliber.

that shouldn't be too much to ask, if you stretch you can probably make an argument that there are 25 programs of our caliber in the nation. Should put us in the top 25 best OOC schedules or top 25 worst depending on whether your glass is half full or half empty this morning.

Twentieth ranked UNLV tonight defeated someone called La Verne... a D-3 school with 1500 undergrad students.

Tim Pernetti at Rutgers just contacted La Verne for next years homecoming game for the football team.

Kinda sad that we have to rationalize our consistently unambitious OOC schedule by mentioning one instance by a program that has been irrelevant for over ten years and barely squeaked into a teetering top 25 position.

This doesn't make the Monmouth game more interesting in hindsight.

I'd wager UNLV will play a OOC schedule as tough or tougher than ours.

I'd wager UNLV will play a OOC schedule as tough or tougher than ours.
Really? I don't agree. They play UNC which is better than anyone we play. But I think our OCC schedule will have a higher rpi than UNLV's at the end of the day. We play teams that might win their leagues. The play some real crap.

Really? I don't agree. They play UNC which is better than anyone we play. But I think our OCC schedule will have a higher rpi than UNLV's at the end of the day. We play teams that might win their leagues. The play some real crap.

UNLV plays four teams in Kenpom's top 50: Oregon, Cal, Iowa State, and @ UNC, which is better than any game we play OOC. They also play Northern Iowa, who is a pretty good mid major and ranked higher than any team we play OOC save SDSU and temple.

So while the worse teams they play are probably worse, the best teams they play are arguably better.

UNLV plays four teams in Kenpom's top 50: Oregon, Cal, Iowa State, and @ UNC, which is better than any game we play OOC. They also play Northern Iowa, who is a pretty good mid major and ranked higher than any team we play OOC save SDSU and temple.

So while the worse teams they play are probably worse, the best teams they play are arguably better.
I agree with that. My point is that (and I am not defending this years schedule at all) playing a number of decent teams might be better than playing say 5 good ones and 8 very bad ones. I think jb has gamed out the rpi. At the end of the year I think we can check it out.

...and cheated the fans in the process.
I don't feel cheated. That is much too strong. I do wish we played a game or two against the best out there. The thing jb forgets is that we usually win these games. Look at our track record against top flight competition during his era. We win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom