so Phat asked for It | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

so Phat asked for It

One lineman being injured should never cause this many problems. The staff needs to look in the mirror and realize that play calling needs to be adjusted to attempt to overcome our weaknesses. Running plays over and over with the same poor results and expecting something different is the definition of...
Either change personnel or change play calling but dont keep practicing insanity as the current combination isnt working nor will it in the future.
Agreed. Just saying we need to execute better shouldn’t rule out other approaches that are easier to pull off.

One lineman being injured should never cause this many problems. The staff needs to look in the mirror and realize that play calling needs to be adjusted to attempt to overcome our weaknesses. Running plays over and over with the same poor results and expecting something different is the definition of...
Either change personnel or change play calling but dont keep practicing insanity as the current combination isnt working nor will it in the future.

It’s not just one lineman. Again, we’ve lost two of our 3 deep at C. I think #4 is V.

We’ve been running up the middle since day 1 of HCDB, it’s not going to change. One of the more frustrating things to watch IMO. Posters have pointed this out and been complaining about this since year 1, there’s almost no diversity in the run game. We can say it’s because of the o-line but that’s lazy, it’s because that’s how this system is run regardless of the state of the o-line.
I asked him about it on his show last week. He didn't really answer it-Just stated DT's and LB's handle inside runs and DE's and DB's outside runs.

I asked him about it on his show last week. He didn't really answer it-Just stated DT's and LB's handle inside runs and DE's and DB's outside runs.

Part of it is he wants the defense to be forced down to the middle, if we can run up the middle successfully it forces the DE's and DB's to adjust in some way. That adjustment might just be a hesitation in covering their man, making a move towards the inside while a WR runs past them, etc. That's why the running game is so important, if you establish the interior run it forces the whole defense to one spot. As I said that's not always a DB physically moving 5 yards towards the center but it may just be them leaning forward anticipating the run. Then the outside passes become more wide open, the DB is leaning forward or maybe even cheating forward a yard to two and the WR has that 1 - 2 steps advantage.

This is why we see almost no passes in the middle and not a lot of variety running to the outside. Whether you agree with it or not, doing those things doesn't force the defense to cover wide or completely drop down in a vacuum towards the center. My issue is, when that strategy isn't forcing the defense to do the things you want but you continue to do it despite the middle of the field being so open at times.

More film breakdown (although it’s the fizz).

its an interesting take on the sacks , mental vs physical mistakes. One thing is clear we did not handle the speed rush at all. we miss Strickland because Neal and Adams both were bad at the late speed blitz protection. We had several cases of double teams failing.

1) both edge rushers dipped and beat the tackles to the outside.. not good but t hey recovered to push them deep.. TD steps up but again a 2 man block fails forcing him out and not up in the pocket.. but dang 11 is quick an runs him down.. Thats not a sack against most teams.

2) this is on the LT i think. he has to know the RB has the late rusher, but he lets the end go and no one there to pick him up.

3) neal had bad footwork.. should have been a facemask as he grabbed the helmet on the tackle. the key thing to notice if you finish the play. TE Benson runs away from the Clemson LB and the other outside WR had beaten the safety too.. probably a TD if TD gets time to throw. you can see the WR running deep alone as the player in front of him is actually chasing the TE

1568746304465.png

4) what is Neal doing.. we double the DT which is fine. except he pushes both blockers back into the QB and Neal blocks no one leaving the late LB untouched.

5) this is a bad protection call. But the LT needs to block 1 guy not neither guy.. you block inside out dont you? and he center blocks no one.

6) he had time, but ran into the sack.. as he progresses he probably runs left not right and finds time to throw.

7) they are wrong. Clemson sent 5, but the protection doesnt spot the backside LB coming late, but if he stays on his feet he had guys wide open to throw too.

8) yeah its on Tommy to throw.. But the Center whiffs the block and thats why he pulls the thrown down just as he is about to let go. if he makes any block he probably throws to Riley.

More film breakdown (although it’s the fizz).

Sack 8 was the one that schematically pissed me off. If one of those slots runs a short route in the middle...

By that point in the game Clemson was bring those backers up the middle. It was criminal to not adjust and put a WR there.

best thing that happened is the oline/rb now has a ton of film to do a better job of calling protection and doing it..

If we continue to run straight up the middle we are going to struggle against everyone, granted it was Clemson but we struggled against Maryland and Liberty and now teams have seen what we do or refuse to do. We don't have the personnel right now on the OLine to count on straight up block let alon this type of pull blocking scheme.

View attachment 170050

Vettorelo, leaves the man infront of him to block down on the LB, So RG Davis is supposed to make it over to block the end who crashes down, doesn't even hesitate and whiffs leading to another tackle in the backfield.

View attachment 170051

This kind of stuff is happening over and over again. Partially I don't think we have the personell to block this kind of play because is happens against everyone we play, maybe not as bad as against Clemson but wasn't much better in either of the first 2 games.

View attachment 170052

So even if we get to the edge defender this probably isn't going for much, but the bigger problem is that this isn't an isolated case, running up the middle virtually every play Clemson brought guys straight up the middle, and the edge guys crashed down with no fear the play was going out side. I can put more examples up but its nauseating to watch, there was another 3 and 2 I believe and Clemson brought 6 guys straight up the 2 LB's came through the middle virtually untouched for another 3 yard loss as we were handing off. I don't care how good your OLine is when the D is coming straight for the handoff point straight up the middle with 5-6 guys you aren't going to be successful, Clemson didn't start picking up yards on the ground till they started going outside which helped to wear us down also. If I were a running back recruit and saw this game after game, I wouldn't want to come here.

Hoping the play calling starts getting more imaginitive this is going hold the offense back, Devito doesn't need to be the runner Dungey was but we need to be able have him run a little to help if we are going to continually run straight up the middle and drop straight back with long developing pass plays. Yes we need to block better but we seem to whiff on the one guy or 2 that can make the play.
That is when Tommy should be pulling the ball and running it.

If that doesn't happen even 1/3 of the time, none of these plays will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom