So, what happens to the ESPN contract now? | Syracusefan.com

So, what happens to the ESPN contract now?

texascpa

Living Legend
1) Does ESPN reopen the contract?

2) Does ESPN bring it down to a point we lose some of our gains or not enough that we actually gain on our gain?

3) If ESPN reopens does Swafford renegotiate the Tier 3 issue that sent FSU into a frenzy?

ESPN blows it up because nobody moves the needle like Maryland.

Tier3 is the most overblown topic on the planet. I have the B10 network, I NEVER WATCH. Who cares about volleyball. I am sure the Longhorn channel is the same. Its much like the YES network. When the Yankees game is on, thats cool. But the other 21 hours of the day, the channel is worthless.

Guys, I'm being serious. I know Maryland doesn't move the needle all that much, but this has to mean ESPN is going to re-open the contract. They're not going to just let the ACC have Maryland's annual allocation to split up with the rest of the members. Well, at least I wouldn't think they would.

Guys, I'm being serious. I know Maryland doesn't move the needle all that much, but this has to mean ESPN is going to re-open the contract. They're not going to just let the ACC have Maryland's annual allocation to split up with the rest of the members. Well, at least I wouldn't think they would.
The old contract required that there be a change of membership of 2 teams, right? That was why ESPN advised the ACC to take Syracuse and one other, supposedly UConn at first. What is the analogous provision in the new contract? Does ND as a partial member count as one change, and Maryland the second? That is still a net positive.

What confuses me about the Big 10's moves is that there has to a lot of additional revenue from adding 2 schools in order to break even on the deal. Is the B10 network that much of a cash cow? Are there enough TV sets in NJ and Maryland to feed those hungry rust belt mouths?

If they open it up the ACC can argue that the 5 games or whatever the ACC is going to play versus ND is worth more than a full schedule of Maryland games therefore the contract should be increased.

The old contract required that there be a change of membership of 2 teams, right? That was why ESPN advised the ACC to take Syracuse and one other, supposedly UConn at first. What is the analogous provision in the new contract? Does ND as a partial member count as one change, and Maryland the second? That is still a net positive.

What confuses me about the Big 10's moves is that there has to a lot of additional revenue from adding 2 schools in order to break even on the deal. Is the B10 network that much of a cash cow? Are there enough TV sets in NJ and Maryland to feed those hungry rust belt mouths?
In a word, yes. I think I read yesterday that if the BTN gets what it thinks it can get, they could make an additional 200 million per year. And even if they don't get that, it still could be 100 million.

If they open it up the ACC can argue that the 5 games or whatever the ACC is going to play versus ND is worth more than a full schedule of Maryland games therefore the contract should be increased.
Exactly. ND hoops is better right now as well, and ESPN gets that whole enchilada, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom