So who "in house" is the optimal choice to take over? | Syracusefan.com

So who "in house" is the optimal choice to take over?

Shotclock

Walk On
Most will say Hackett or Shafer but I think they are really good at what they do and should stay where they are. We will need someone who can be the CEO and manage the rest of the staff. Is it Adkins, Anselmo, Henderson... At this point it will probably need to stay in house as this time of year is not the ideal time to be hiring a coach (see Grob) Now if Marrone takes Shafer and Hackett with him then its a moot point and will need to completely rebuild staff. Hopefully Anselmo and Adkins stay to keep hold of NYC if the chips do fall as they seem to be doing. (Btw I write this with the assumption that Marrone is in fact leaving as it is more and more looking like, unfortunately)

We'll have to wait and see who he takes. I think he takes Hackett. So I think Shafer is an option if he stays.

We'll probably need to hire a number of assistants. It would good if this is over by the end of the weekend with the coaching convention on hand.

In one of the many crazy scenarios that have played in my head over the last few days I wonder if Hackett is the next guy to be our HC and Doug is taking Shafer with him...maybe a reason why Doug is leaving, he knows SU will be in good hands and is leaving so a friend can get his shot?

It all depends on who stays and who goes with Doug. Don't forget Anselmo, an older guy who has been a key to downstate recruiting and has been a head coach on the JUCO level or Rob Moore, who, like Marrone, is an SU guy.

Seriously..... Marrone for doing this.

Not just for leaving, but for threatening to leave just as we are on the cusp of doing something great.

After all the stuff we've been through as a fanbase, i FINALLY thought that maybe we'd have a chance to break through. Right as we are on the doorstep...Ol Tubesteak decides to get happy feet into the NFL.

yeah yeah...its the nfl...yeah yeah...once in a lifetime...blah blah...whatever. him.

This is my overly-selfish fan rant, and I'm not apologetic at all.

Go ahead, bash away

I'm not sure why we are intent to promote from within. From my experience that strategy fails more than it works. Sure it worked for Oregon with Kelly but it was an epic fail twice for my other alma mater, Miami (Coker and Shannon). It didn't work with Bill Stewart at WVU, etc. Not an ideal time of year to be looking to pull from the college ranks but I think we need to dare to be bold here and find some strong who can build on what Marrone started. and take us to the next level, perennial Top 25. We are on the right track but that's because of Marrone, let's not cling to the hope his assistants can step into his shoes.

I'm not sure why we are intent to promote from within. From my experience that strategy fails more than it works. Sure it worked for Oregon with Kelly but it was an epic fail twice for my other alma mater, Miami (Coker and Shannon). It didn't work with Bill Stewart at WVU, etc. Not an ideal time of year to be looking to pull from the college ranks but I think we need to dare to be bold here and find some strong who can build on what Marrone started. and take us to the next level, perennial Top 25. We are on the right track but that's because of Marrone, let's not cling to the hope his assistants can step into his shoes.

We have two young coordinators on staff that are both on the rise. Believe me when I say that both Shafer and Hackett will be head coaches someday. Count on it.

Seriously..... Marrone for doing this.

Not just for leaving, but for threatening to leave just as we are on the cusp of doing something great.

After all the stuff we've been through as a fanbase, i FINALLY thought that maybe we'd have a chance to break through. Right as we are on the doorstep...Ol Tubesteak decides to get happy feet into the NFL.

yeah yeah...its the nfl...yeah yeah...once in a lifetime...blah blah...whatever. him.

This is my overly-selfish fan rant, and I'm not apologetic at all.

Go ahead, bash away

I'm not going to bash you. The timing here is horrible, absolutely horrible. We are about to step into a new league and he's jumping ship? The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. Not sure I could do that to my alma mater, not now. I have no problem with him eventually moving up the ladder and coaching in the League. But to do it with the job still incomplete and us moving into a new league? That will annoy me.

We have no idea why he decided to do this now as opposed to later so really to judge him is shrt sighted, yes right now it stinks, yes I wish we knew more but give me a break. If he wants to jump that is for him and his family to decide, as far as never doing it to your alma mater you do not know all of the story you don't know what has gone on, how does that go about walking a mile in his shoes. Nothing wrong with wishing this wasn't happening or to want it over but give me a break...none of you saying that should ever consider leaving your job either as leverage or to better yourself or family, or just to be happy because it is an awful thing to do to the organization you are currently with

I think the timing is the reason you have to promote from within.

All the top notch mid major coaches have been picked up. If people thought Syracuse "settled" for Marrone after receiving less then positive responses from Holtz, Gill, Edsall, etc., just imagine having to start from scratch when almost every coaching opening has been filled or the coaches who didn't move successfully leveraged it into a bigger deal.

Of the candidates I have seen, the only one to excite me is the ODU head coach, but I would much rather have the guy from within to keep building and maintain player contact (remember, you don't recruit kids just as seniors) with a similar system on at least 1 side of the ball.