So, will we be ranked now? | Syracusefan.com

So, will we be ranked now?

Ceerqqq

Scout Team
We just beat a top five team, yes? I know, I know, no rankings until after the championship game, but if they did update the rankings every week in March, where do you suppose they'd rank us after the three big wins?

We just beat a top five team, yes? I know, I know, no rankings until after the championship game, but if they did update the rankings every week in March, where do you suppose they'd rank us after the three big wins?
The big thing this run does is ensure a place in everyone's preseason top 25 for next season.

Unfortunately we are now ranked 26th. Had Florida State lost last night, we would have been 25th.

Basically all top 5 seeds are safe on the final ranking. That leaves 5 positions for lower seeds to grab. So far there are six teams still alive:

Nevada
Florida State
Texas A&M
Kansas State
Loyola-Chicago
Syracuse

The other five teams have better credentials in the regular season and tourny than us. You may argue Kansas State did not beat anybody so far. That is our only hope to be ranked in the final poll assuming we and Kansas State both lose the next game.

Unfortunately we are now ranked 26th. Had Florida State lost last night, we would have been 25th.

Basically all top 5 seeds are safe on the final ranking. That leaves 5 positions for lower seeds to grab. So far there are six teams still alive:

Nevada
Florida State
Texas A&M
Kansas State
Loyola-Chicago
Syracuse

The other five teams have better credentials in the regular season and tourny than us. You may argue Kansas State did not beat anybody so far. That is our only hope to be ranked in the final poll assuming we and Kansas State both lose the next game.

So are rankings supposed to be an assessment of your "body of work?" Or are they supposed to reflect how good you think the teams are now, at the end of the season, based on the most recent evidence?

Nevada
Florida State
Texas A&M
Kansas State
Loyola-Chicago
Syracuse

None of that matters. 2 years ago we were ranked around the same place we were this year before the tourney. We beat Dayton, MTSU, Gonz., and UVA. Had we played those games all in a row in the regular season, it wouldn't have moved us from the 40-50 ranking to top 10, yet beating those teams in the tourney propelled us to a top 10 finish in 2016.

Do rankings really even matter? Even at the start of the season who cares?

#1 in your heart
Gotta admit, I've got myself thinking that LILO is a theoretical possibility.

Realistic? Nah. But neither was it realistic to think we'd beat MSU.

An injury or bad officiating call would blow it all away in a second, but...

True. It's really just a discussion about other people's perceptions...

Actually we've beaten 3 teams that at one time or another were ranked in the top 10.

They matter greatly. Recruitment is correlated to reputation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom