Some numbers to chew on through 4 games | Syracusefan.com

Some numbers to chew on through 4 games

billsin01

All American
Battle is averaging 15 shots a game and while occasionally he's been overly aggressive and either taken an ill-advised shot or committed a charge/turnover by wildly driving into the lane, it's nice to see he's very comfortable in the lead dawg role. What's noteworthy is the last two guys to average over 15 FGs/game are Wallace (15.8 in 95/96) and Melo (17.5 in 03). To be fair, a bunch of others have been close (McNamara as a senior, Hak as a junior and senior, Nichols as a senior, Fair as a senior etc.) but it's interesting b/c Battle feels like an NBA talent who's ready to have a dominant year that is fitting of a kid with his talent. What's hurt our program the most the past few years is losing kids to the NBA despite their having good but not great years. Battle hopefully ends that trend.

General pointed this out in his thread but if you had asked me before the season if we'd see Chuckwu log 32 minutes in a single game I would have argued that he'd be more likely to see 32 total minutes in our first four games. I tend to feel like the jury is still out a bit on the big man but a meaningful contribution from him, even if it's more like 15 mpg, would be a significant development for this team.

Both Howard and Battle are shooting at this rate from 3. That's another key factor. Brissett has struggled as has Thorpe but I was wondering if this team would have any capable shooters outside of Battle. Not sure if either can keep up that pace, but if either Thorpe gets healthy and improves his number or Brissett starts to see some fall (or both) we really should be a solid shooting team, which I'd say is a bit surprising and obviously a good sign.

+57
Our rebounding margin so far on the young season. We have been fortunate in some ways to play three teams with no size whatsoever, but that's still close to 15 rebounds/game in our favor. Obviously not a sustainable number but this team is going to be tougher on the glass than I would have expected. Teams with a ton of size still loom, but these kids are fighters and hustlers. Just don't think we'll see that many games where we just get abused on this front.

The points Doezaj scored (on one shot attempt) vs. Oakland, yet the dude had a big impact on that game. A constant factor defensively with blocks and deflections (3 blocks, two steals), a great pass on one of our few pretty looking fast breaks in that game and 8 boards. His hustle and basketball IQ are arguably the biggest factor outside of Battle's dominance in this team's solid start.

The points Thorpe scored with Battle on the bench vs. Texas Southern. It was great to see and came at a huge point for this team. What remains a bit disturbing is that outside of that stretch of 10-12 minutes, he has 18 points total and has shot poorly. Obviously we need to be patient with his ankle and he's done some other things to chip in, but it would be great to see that Thorpe -- the one with the nose for the basket -- emerge more consistently.

1 in 5 trillion
The odds that we'd have two players make a fairly decent run at a triple double through four games of the season and that those players would be Dolezaj and Chukwu.

Number of assists for Battle in four games. Love the aggressiveness but I think the next development for his game is being able to take advantage of some of the attention he's going to be drawing to set up his teammates for some buckets.

We are one of the top 10 tallest teams but where is the beef?

I’d be interested in our def efficiency numbers. Moqui has posted them before but I’ve missed them the last couple games. But this team has to be nearing off the charts status.

I’d be interested in our def efficiency numbers. Moqui has posted them before but I’ve missed them the last couple games. But this team has to be nearing off the charts status.

Using the Ken Pom adjusted defensive efficiency, we're 50th in the country, at 96.7. (96.7 points allowed per 100 possessions). Here is the raw data

Cornell: 69.2 points per 100
Iona: 92.5 points per 100
TX Southern: 104.7 points per 100
Oakland: 67.5 points per 100

The Ken Pom rankings adjust for both opponent strength, and I believe this early in the year they rely on the pre season projections (which wouldn't have our defense ranked so well).

Some other fun stats from the Ken Pom page, we are #1 in the country in block%, we are blocking 28% of opponent 2 point FGA. That is...very high. It's also probably partially related to our average (minute weighted) height of 79.7 inches, which is #1 in the country. Also, team experience is 1.03 years, 329th out of 351 teams.

Using the Ken Pom adjusted defensive efficiency, we're 50th in the country, at 96.7. (96.7 points allowed per 100 possessions). Here is the raw data

Cornell: 69.2 points per 100
Iona: 92.5 points per 100
TX Southern: 104.7 points per 100
Oakland: 67.5 points per 100

The Ken Pom rankings adjust for both opponent strength, and I believe this early in the year they rely on the pre season projections (which wouldn't have our defense ranked so well).

Some other fun stats from the Ken Pom page, we are #1 in the country in block%, we are blocking 28% of opponent 2 point FGA. That is...very high. It's also probably partially related to our average (minute weighted) height of 79.7 inches, which is #1 in the country. Also, team experience is 1.03 years, 329th out of 351 teams.
I thought Moqui was citing better numbers than that.

I thought Moqui was citing better numbers than that.

Maybe, I pulled those right off the website. The raw numbers will look better, but we haven't exactly played a tough schedule

Agree with the point you made about the assists. Saw at least 1 or more times in each game so far where there was an easy dime to be had if Battle would just drop the ball off after he beat his man. He instead took a charge or just an ugly looking shot. I think this situation will play out many times over the season as not many guys are going to stay in front of Battle. He is going to draw help and will have some great opportunities to pass for some easy baskets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom