Some of my thoughts on last night's exhibition | Syracusefan.com

Some of my thoughts on last night's exhibition

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Just a few of my own observations. I have not read any articles, read any posts or listened to any sports radio.

One thing struck out to me above all else. It was the rawness of DCII. I guess I was expecting a little more polish by now. I'm by no means an expert on big man play but if I could spend one day with this fine young man I would go straight to the film room and have him watch video of Arinze Onuaku.

The first thing I would point out would be AO's positioning on offense. There was a very good reason why AO was among the national leaders in field goal % year after year. It wasn't because he was a great shooter, it was because he knew how to get close to the basket.

DCII has a tendency to try to go at his defender(s) right away. He tries to force his way to the basket. AO used to fight for position down low, when he'd get the ball he'd pop it back out and edge his way closer to the basket using his big buttisimo to clear out the defender. When his teammate got the ball back into AO he'd have a very high percentage shot.

I do know that there is always that temptation by the bigs to try and take advantage of smaller, weaker opponents. This usually back fires because the bigs forget about fundamental basketball.

Rakeem showed a lot of frustration and anger on his face as the smaller players whacked and pushed him. Baye looked a little lost out there too.

As everyone has probably already chimed in, Tyler Ennis is as smooth as a baby's bottom. He finds ways to free himself that look so effortless. He plays with the ease of a senior, we are in great hands with this freshman. His backup, Silent G showed a good handle, quick first step and sharp passing skills. It was nice to see his length at the top of the zone where he created several fast break opportunities.

Jerami Grant has taken major steps forward in his all around game. Despite suffering from mono earlier this summer he looked stronger than last year. One thing I really liked was after a rebound he kept his head up, dribbled when he had to and knew just when to give it up so a teammate could finish the fast break. His passing was crisp and he sure looked smooth out there.

CJ Fair & Tyler Ennis have one thing in common, they both make the game look easier than it is. Lawrence Moten was the master of that trait. These guys are in his mold. Until the injury CJ was a man among boys. He played every phase of the game the way it should be. There was no force in his game. Very thankful that he returned for his senior season as he'll get the recognition nationally that he deserves.

Wish we could have seen Tyler Roberson in this setting. The NCAA sould allow players in his situation to at least practice with the team until they get around to resolving the issue(s).

BJ Johnson made a nice shot in our last possession. I was expecting deadeye shooting from him all night. Maybe it was nerves but he lost the handle a couple of times. Hope he stays confident and has some good moments in the nights ahead.

Buss Patterson and Jerry Cooney didn't have the games I thought they'd have either. A neighbor and his son watched the game with us. The son said Trevor was fouled on his first three point attempt and his last. Of course he's a Cooney fan so maybe he saw what he wanted to. I think Cooney was 0 for his first 8 or 9, not the kind of start he wanted.

Well it's very early and hopefully a lot of kinks and weakness will be worked on before the real season begins.

Just a few of my own observations. I have not read any articles, read any posts or listened to any sports radio.

One thing struck out to me above all else. It was the rawness of DCII. I guess I was expecting a little more polish by now. I'm by no means an expert on big man play but if I could spend one day with this fine young man I would go straight to the film room and have him watch video of Arinze Onuaku.

The first thing I would point out would be AO's positioning on offense. There was a very good reason why AO was among the national leaders in field goal % year after year. It wasn't because he was a great shooter, it was because he knew how to get close to the basket.

DCII has a tendency to try to go at his defender(s) right away. He tries to force his way to the basket. AO used to fight for position down low, when he'd get the ball he'd pop it back out and edge his way closer to the basket using his big buttisimo to clear out the defender. When his teammate got the ball back into AO he'd have a very high percentage shot.

I do know that there is always that temptation by the bigs to try and take advantage of smaller, weaker opponents. This usually back fires because the bigs forget about fundamental basketball.

Rakeem showed a lot of frustration and anger on his face as the smaller players whacked and pushed him. Baye looked a little lost out there too.

As everyone has probably already chimed in, Tyler Ennis is as smooth as a baby's bottom. He finds ways to free himself that look so effortless. He plays with the ease of a senior, we are in great hands with this freshman. His backup, Silent G showed a good handle, quick first step and sharp passing skills. It was nice to see his length at the top of the zone where he created several fast break opportunities.

Jerami Grant has taken major steps forward in his all around game. Despite suffering from mono earlier this summer he looked stronger than last year. One thing I really liked was after a rebound he kept his head up, dribbled when he had to and knew just when to give it up so a teammate could finish the fast break. His passing was crisp and he sure looked smooth out there.

CJ Fair & Tyler Ennis have one thing in common, they both make the game look easier than it is. Lawrence Moten was the master of that trait. These guys are in his mold. Until the injury CJ was a man among boys. He played every phase of the game the way it should be. There was no force in his game. Very thankful that he returned for his senior season as he'll get the recognition nationally that he deserves.

Wish we could have seen Tyler Roberson in this setting. The NCAA sould allow players in his situation to at least practice with the team until they get around to resolving the issue(s).

BJ Johnson made a nice shot in our last possession. I was expecting deadeye shooting from him all night. Maybe it was nerves but he lost the handle a couple of times. Hope he stays confident and has some good moments in the nights ahead.

Buss Patterson and Jerry Cooney didn't have the games I thought they'd have either. A neighbor and his son watched the game with us. The son said Trevor was fouled on his first three point attempt and his last. Of course he's a Cooney fan so maybe he saw what he wanted to. I think Cooney was 0 for his first 8 or 9, not the kind of start he wanted.

Well it's very early and hopefully a lot of kinks and weakness will be worked on before the real season begins.

Very good analysis...I believe it begs the question (one more time)...which coach if any is teaching/coaching the BIGS. This has gotten to be a problem...unsure why JB doesn't see this...and maybe its because Hop has that responsibility...but I would say none of our bigs are progressing...and that is NOT a good thing! In fact, it is an indictment of mediocrity.
Also, what is you feeling on Silent G? Does he start ahead of Cooney?

It's Good to Be 'Cuse!!--The Order of The 'Cuse Orange...

I think he should start but I can understand why JB wants to hold him off because he's the backup PG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom