Some optimism... | Syracusefan.com

Some optimism...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
If Grant comes back, the following potential lineup for SU next year is really not as bad as some are saying. If anything, that's a pretty formidable front-line. And the guards are a nice mix of experience (cooney, G) and athleticism (Kaleb). The thing I look forward too, however, is the return of pushing it whenever we can for fast breaks. This seems to be Kaleb's style of play, which will gel perfectly with Jerami and Chris's speed and athleticism.

PG: Kaleb
SG: Cooney
F: Roberson/McCullough
F: Grant
C: Rak

Bench:
G: Gbinije
G: Patterson
F: BJ
C: Chino
C: Coleman?

Should we lose Jerami, I still think a front line of Roberson, McCullough, and Rak is freakishly athletic and will be able to hold its own. I'm hoping Tyler settles down and is able to hit those 15 fters he made in high school, but was off on last year.

Either way, I sincerely hope we utilize Senior Rak and consistently look to him as an offensive option.

Do we have any idea if McCullough is going to be able to play from day one? Will he be facing issues with the NCAA clearinghouse?

If Grant comes back, the following potential lineup for SU next year is really not as bad as some are saying. If anything, that's a pretty formidable front-line. And the guards are a nice mix of experience (cooney, G) and athleticism (Kaleb). The thing I look forward too, however, is the return of pushing it whenever we can for fast breaks. This seems to be Kaleb's style of play, which will gel perfectly with Jerami and Chris's speed and athleticism.

PG: Kaleb
SG: Cooney
F: Grant
C: Rak

Bench:
G: Gbinije
G: Patterson
F: BJ
C: Chino
C: Coleman?

Should we lose Jerami, I still think a front line of Roberson, McCullough, and Rak is freakishly athletic and will be able to hold its own. I'm hoping Tyler settles down and is able to hit those 15 fters he made in high school, but was off on last year.

Either way, I sincerely hope we utilize Senior Rak and consistently look to him as an offensive option.

we arent going 10 or 11 deep

Same problem as this season with the lack of outside shooting

Joseph, Roberson, Cmac and Grant are not 3pt. shooters

I agree. But if grant returns the front line will be top 5 in the nation and the team overall should at worst be 4 seed quality, potentially better than this year and last.

Joseph won't be any worse than Ennis as a shooter next year, and I can't imagine anyone is expecting McCullough to score outside of 12 feet next year. Grant has to work on his jumper and Roberson has the potential to become a solid midrange shooter.

But no, we won't really have much by way of three point shooters from the forward spot next year.

I know he has an outside shot, but at almost 6'10, I don't see how CM isn't going to get minutes at the 4 behind Grant. So here we go with lineup threads:

PG- KJ (MG to backup)
SG- TC (MG and Patterson to backup)
SF- Roberson (BJ and maybe even MG get minutes here, I doubt CM will play a lot of 3)
PF- JG (CM to backup)
C- RK (Coleman/Obokoh to backup).

The good news is, I like our depth a lot more than last year. The bad news is ... where's the outside scoring going to come from once they blanket cooney?

Inside, I like our front line ... debth, athleticism and size. If, as Jekelish pointed out, our perimeter offense is poor, than we'll be one-dimensional (again) and our inside guys will have less room. This past year, defenses just packed it in and dared us to shoot. We sneaked by for a while .. until we got exposed down the stretch.

Next year, I think Rak will be a senior and he's starting to flash. I love Grant, and we have 2 bigs (coleman and CM) who could bring inside scoring. But its the same old story ... we need to be balanced outside to give our inside guys some room. And having one shooter makes us an easy target for the pack-and-dare defense. Let's hope KJ is the kind of explosive scorer we think he can be ... MG finally gets his jumper going, and someone sparks among the trio of BJ/TC/Roberson.

But no, we won't really have much by way of three point shooters from the forward spot next year.
Unless BJ can make the leap and be a legit scorer/shooter off the bench

That isn't necessarily true. A lot hinges on the development shown by three of the "Sons" -- Bus, Roberson, and BJ. If those guys all take steps forward on their developmental curve and crack the rotation, then not only will our depth be better, but we'll also have much better team three point shooting [especially if Cooney / Grant are also threats]. You need to have several guys who can make shots, and I think next year's team will be much better off in that regard--my opinion only.

Need those guys to take positive steps forward.

With this type of team, we need a pg who can push the ball in transition. Hopefully KJ will do this more than TE seemed to want or be able to do.

With this type of team, we need a pg who can push the ball in transition. Hopefully KJ will do this more than TE seemed to want or be able to do.
By all accounts, that's absolutely where Joseph thrives. Just depends on whether JB lets him push the tempo or not.

Based on athleticism alone we have the potential to be extremely exciting next season, at least.

The potential line-up has its strengths, but the issue isn't only with outside shooting.
Who is the third ball-handler on the perimeter (CJ's role this year)? Especially when the 2G is Cooney.

I think we shoot a lot better next year. G and Cooney with a year experience. Patterson should get run if they don't. Johnson is a sleeper. Personally I think this team has the potential to be the best outside shooting team we have had since 2010. I'm more worried about the center position, especially if Coleman isn't healthy.

By all accounts, that's absolutely where Joseph thrives. Just depends on whether JB lets him push the tempo or not.

Based on athleticism alone we have the potential to be extremely exciting next season, at least.

"whether JB let's him or not."

Drives me nuts! With our athletes, it's silly not to push the ball every chance you get.

I'm really excited at the prospect of having a good ole' fashioned Syracuse 26-0 run type of blow your doors off fast break. Chris M has the potential to really be a factor with some in the paint scoring and rebounding. I still think that Buss can contribute more than most on here give him credit for. The dreads are gone and look for him to work on his shot and game such that he won't be denied playing time. I'm convinced that he can shoot from the 3 at least as well as we saw CJ, Ennis, and late season shakytater.

I loved everyone on this past years team but those last 5 weeks were really painful to watch. That has to be one of the worst stretches of SU shooting in team history. But... on to next year. There are lots of parts to put together and there will be lots of opportunity for many to earn playing time. It will make for uber competitive practices and the chance that the team can find an effective blend of talent and establish it's own identity.

I'm hopeful, Orange, and all in no matter what!

I'll be quite surprised if G plays anything like a bench player next year. Circumstances helped keep him on the bench this year, but I fully expect to see him get out ahead of that. He's done "apologizing" for being on the floor. And don't try to tell me there's no position for him, there's always a spot for the guy who's playing the best. A Dion Waiters role may be how it works, and I have no issue with that, for even that should translate to 20-25 minutes per game. Just IMHO, of course.

*a caveat: provided he can keep his freaking sneakers tied, of course :eek:

Last edited: