Some quick post game thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Some quick post game thoughts

jekelish

Living Legend
http://.com/best-of-times-worst-of-times-syracuse-falls-to-michigan/

Overall, I hate losing when we had it within our grasp, but keeping in mind this is a young and inexperienced team, it's hard to feel TOO frustrated when you go on the road to a top 20 team, turn it over 19 times, give up 17 offensive boards, and you STILL have a chance to win the game in the final 30 seconds.

Overall, I hate losing when we had it within our grasp, but keeping in mind this is a young and inexperienced team, it's hard to feel TOO frustrated when you go on the road to a top 20 team, turn it over 19 times, give up 17 offensive boards, and you STILL have a chance to win the game in the final 30 seconds.

Like 3 chances to win in those final moments. What!

I'm with you, Jekelish! Cooney comes alive, Christmas good as usual, Silent G did a little of everything, Joseph inconsistent but he did hit that first 3 of the game. I just hope Coach is pumping them up in the locker room. There's a lot of good in what happened tonight.

Yes, yes, and there was bad. But not as bad as I had feared.

You're a good writer young man. Well done.

Reactions: cto
Good writeup. Honestly think how many times we have been on the other end of such a game playing at home. Lot of positives and statistically we won everything but the assists and turnover battle. Sloppy play can be improved. What the primary question will be is if we can get a big non conf win at nova as a result of this lesson. Id rather not rely on acc play to get a big win to put us on the right side of the bubble. Mike G's aggressive play was a welcome surprise as was trevors shooting. Kaleb needs to continue to take a couple 3s a game to keep defenses honest ala scoop. Mccullough needs to post up more. Buss should get minutes every game even if its for a stint to be a pest at the top of the zone. His work helped us hold serve a bit when michigan could have got some separation.

I really hope we see dc2 come back this year. Would help a ton to have that depth.

It really is uncharted territory for us to be staring at 5-2 this early in the year but kind of digging having 3 big programs already faced and more on the way. Challenging ourselves is the only way to get better. You look at how well it has treated kansas in recent years...

It really is uncharted territory for us to be staring at 5-2 this early in the year but kind of digging having 3 big programs already faced and more on the way. Challenging ourselves is the only way to get better. You look at how well it has treated kansas in recent years...
That's what a bunch of folks always criticize us for (not playing strong ooc competition). We are already getting better, and this won't hurt our rpi one bit.

Michigan St. too. People buried UNC as well and they made a nice run February on.

Regardless of the loss I think this was by far their best game of the season. I would rather have 5 more games like this as long as the team keeps improving. Nice to see TC show up for a game. Rak playing the his best offensive game I've ever seen him play but he has to stay out of foul trouble. CMac had some good moments but one or two freshmen mistakes. Silent G played well. RP not so good. TR not so good. BJ just okay but pushed around a lot. KJ2 made some mistakes but is coming along with getting rid of his freshmen jitters. All in all I thought the team played very good defense. The offense played better than previous games. I was okay with this game even though it was a loss.

After the Cal game I was thinking NIT. I think this team has a good chance to make the big dance after watching this game.

I've never seen a Syracuse team being so incapable in the clutch. The one positive surprise was Mike's abiity to drive when needed. That last drive should have been a 3 point play. Kris was very disappointing. Every one is saying that he will imporve and therefore all is well as if other point guards are not also improving. Due to our weakness at the point I expect to see many more losses, perhaps too many to go dancing, and I've never thought that, not even once over the last 40 years. We are a bubble team. In close games we will have trouble closing out. We will not beat Duke or the Ville and will have a tough time with Virginia and NC. Nova is tough for us even under best of circumstances. Our best chances of improvement are longshots: if DC can play center and send XMAS to PF, or if CJ could become an offensive spark off the bench. By next year Kris will be a worthy starter. We have been unbelievably lucky with young point guards; so much so that we took it for granted that a frosh could run the show

I've never seen a Syracuse team being so incapable in the clutch. The one positive surprise was Mike's abiity to drive when needed. That last drive should have been a 3 point play. Kris was very disappointing. Every one is saying that he will imporve and therefore all is well as if other point guards are not also improving. Due to our weakness at the point I expect to see many more losses, perhaps too many to go dancing, and I've never thought that, not even once over the last 40 years. We are a bubble team. In close games we will have trouble closing out. We will not beat Duke or the Ville and will have a tough time with Virginia and NC. Nova is tough for us even under best of circumstances. Our best chances of improvement are longshots: if DC can play center and send XMAS to PF, or if CJ could become an offensive spark off the bench. By next year Kris will be a worthy starter. We have been unbelievably lucky with young point guards; so much so that we took it for granted that a frosh could run the show

Dude, please go take a Xanax. You're killing me.

I don't think it is so bad. I was actually encouraged by how the team played last night. I thought it was a good showing and definitely some progress from the Cal game. I think this team will make the NCAA tournament. At this point, with this team, that's probably the most important goal. After that, I think the team could probably have a few good upsets if they get past the first and second round.

I don't think you can say "incapable in the clutch". CMac made a freshmen mistake by throwing it out of bounds with 19 seconds left. That's to be expected this early in his freshmen season. I thought overall he played pretty well and I still expect him to be one and done. KJ2 made some mistakes but also had some good plays. I totally did not expect KJ2 to make a TE like last second shot like last year at Pitt. Even with seniors that doesn't happen very often. TC had his best game of the season. Silent G played well. I like seeing Silent G drive to the basket. We need someone to play that role. And Rak showed some pretty good low post moves on offense last night. I am feeling a little more hopeful after last night.

I disagree with your description / analysis of McCullough's turnover at the end. As I watched it, he threw the pass like an outlet, leading Joseph a bit upcourt. Joseph, unforutunately, was doing what you suggested - he stopped to come back for the ball.

I disagree with your description / analysis of McCullough's turnover at the end. As I watched it, he threw the pass like an outlet, leading Joseph a bit upcourt. Joseph, unforutunately, was doing what you suggested - he stopped to come back for the ball.
I guess I might be remembering the sequence a little incorrectly - I thought the ball was thrown behind Joseph. I only watched the sequence once while nearly passing out due to exasperation, though.

It was on Chris IMO. He turned and fired as Joseph was coming back to him to get the ball secured. So Chris made bad freshman turnover the first time and then Kaleb dribbled into trouble and lost it the second time. We can blame them both equally :D

Who's Kris?

I don't understand why you point out that other point guards will improve also. What does that have to do with Kaleb Joseph making unforced errors? If Kaleb Joseph improves throughout the season we will be a much better team than we are now. Opponent point guards have very little to do with the mistakes Joseph is making right now.

I'll go synthesize some racemic levomethorphan for you. Will that suffice?

Actually, if you actually could do so I'd love it! Multiple uses this time of year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom