Some similarities to '96 tournament run... | Syracusefan.com

Some similarities to '96 tournament run...

wvlax

2nd String
Boeheim a 4 seed, Pitino a 1 seed on other side of bracket. Local senior guard (Lazarus Sims, Brandon Triche) leading team. Defeated 13th seeded Montana in 1st round.

Montana State I think.

For me, the similarity is I am not surprised. The style of this team for 30+ years of Coach Boheim and the great players here befuddle teams that haven't had to see it before.
It also wouldn't have surprised me if Marquette had beaten us because they know our program so well... Hope Wich St. beats the Ville...

We also played a 4-seed (Mississippi St.) in the Final Four to advance to play that loaded Pitino team. I sure hope the outcome is better this time around ;)

We also played a 4-seed (Mississippi St.) in the Final Four to advance to play that loaded Pitino team. I sure hope the outcome is better this time around ;)
Actually Mississippi State was a 5. I saw on Twitter yesterday that this is the first time two 4 seeds have ever met in the Final Four.

Two 4 seeds... 4 4

Good omen?

Mississippi State was a 5. This is the first time two 4 have met in a tournament.

My bad. I've totally been thinking the past 17 years that they were a 4...haha.

Also I believe these are the 2 tallest teams in SU history. I can't find a roster of the 1996 team that list height and weight but Z was 6'-5" and Janulis was about the same. The backline was huge as well in 96. Both PG's were pass first guys without a consistent jumper...very similar teams. The 1996 team scored the ball better this team defends better.

Also I believe these are the 2 tallest teams in SU history. I can't find a roster of the 1996 team that list height and weight but Z was 6'-5" and Janulis was about the same. The backline was huge as well in 96. Both PG's were pass first guys without a consistent jumper...very similar teams. The 1996 team scored the ball better this team defends better.
Well Z was 6-4 but same thing really, and Cipolla actually started and was 6-7. Burgan 6-7, Otis 6-8, J-Dub 6-9.

Well Z was 6-4 but same thing really, and Cipolla actually started and was 6-7. Burgan 6-7, Otis 6-8, J-Dub 6-9.
And the bench had size too JB Reafsnyder was 6-11 I believe.

The zone has changed since 96, the wing forwards used to pack it in more and you really can't compare them IMO. The length is key but its the way they play it is what has contributed to their success.