Some stats on G and Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Some stats on G and Cooney

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Cooney - 38 minutes per game, 14.6 points per game, 37% FG, 34% 3P, 79% FT, 2.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.9 steals, 1.6 turnovers, 312 FG attempts, 86 total free throw attempts

Gbinije - 34 minutes per game, 12.1 points per game, 51% FG, 44% 3P, 51% FT, 5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.7 steals, 2 turnovers, 229 total FG attempts, 72 total free throw attempts

If we're just counting how many shots they've taken in games vs each other, Cooney has taken more shots 14 times, Gbinije more shots 8 times, and they've tied 3 times. Very likely I miscounted though, I grabbed that pretty fast.

If we believe that 1) coaches put their best perimeter defender on Cooney and 2) that Cooney is playing too many minutes to be 100% effective and 3) G's numbers suggest he is clearly a more efficient player when it comes to everything but shooting free throws, I think the right conclusion here is that Cooney's green light should maybe be a yellow light and G should be getting some more shots, until coaches begin putting their best perimeter defender on him so we can see what happens.

Also, Cooney averages more field goal attempts per game than Rak (12.5 to 12). Before people say "But wait, that's because Rak gets to the line a lot because he gets fouled taking a lot of shots," I would say, yeah, that's not really a point in Cooney's favor.

Interesting stats. Here's my take. Cooney clearly draws the toughest defender from each opponent and he cannot beat defenders off the dribble like Gbinije can. However, Gbinije does not have that quick of a release from the perimeter. You'll notice in most games he'll score from the perimeter to start and then defenders will start respecting his shot which will lead to him beating defenders off of the dribble. In the Duke game I think only 1 of his 3's was closely defended. He didn't take a 3 in the 2nd half until around a minute left. Gbinije simply doesn't take contested jumpers, which isn't necessary a bad thing. Not that Cooney his hitting 3's in guys faces, but he's able to create separation with a good step back, like in the UNC game. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like most teams respect Gbinije until he hits a few shots. I'm fine with the number of shots each player is taking. Lately, teams simply aren't letting Rak get decent touches and he makes good decisions when doubled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom