Some Stats on Recent Forward Production | Syracusefan.com

Some Stats on Recent Forward Production

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Let's take a look at how the forwards are trending, see if there is anything telling in the stats and game splits.

Maliq Brown - He has played double digit minutes in 9 games, including 7 of the last 8. We are 7-2 when he plays at least 10 minutes. In those 7 recent double minute games, he averaged 23 minutes a game, providing 7.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per game, and has totaled 7 assists, 7 steals and 4 blocked shots in those games. He's also shooting 24 for 36 from the field!

Benny Williams has taken a step back these past couple games, but let's not forget, he had a stretch of six games in December when he played really well in five of them, averaging 11.3 points and 6.2 rebounds, even with a real bad game against Pitt factored into that stretch. That version of Benny was just a couple games ago. He can get back to that really quickly, if he keeps his head down and keeps working hard when he's out there.

Chris Bell has had 9 games out of 17 where he hit 2 or more threes. If you throw out his first 3 games of the season, when he was pretty much invisible, and he's averaging almost 8 points a game in only 15-20 minutes. That's not bad production for a 3rd forward (which probably suits him better ...).

Justin Taylor - He had that 25 point game in the loss to Lane Bryant back in November. Boeheim gave him 25 minutes for the next four games, but he could only manage 4 or 5 points, and went back to a reduced role for a while. He's gotten back to a 20 minute a game guy for these last 5 games, and he's producing pretty well. He's 5-12 from three over that stretch, averaging a little better than 6 points, and has chipped in with a handful of assists and rebounds (1 or 2 of each a game). He could do a little more of the little things, but he's coming off screens with more confidence, and is looking like he belongs out there again. His confidence is improving.

Quadir Copeland is a talented player, but commits too many turnovers. He's cutting down on them, but there's still at least one pretty much every game he plays. He gets a 10 minute run about once every 3 or 4 games, but only the Pitt game has he really shown us his best. He needs more consistency.

Jon Bol Ajak hasn't played as much lately, but he did really well in December, too. He had 13 assists (!!) in a five game stretch, but not enough offense or rebounding to warrant continued minutes. He was really useful, at a critical point in the season, at showing the young guys where to look for the steals, where to make the high-low passes. He was a great glue guy for that month or so. He's engaged, and he's a guy who can sometimes do something special, against expectations.

I like that a lot of guys have gotten quality time. They have almost all contributed in stretches, but none are ready to carry us from game to game, as a leader. But they're all getting better, don't you think?

So, if you tally up the "recent best" of our 4 primary forwards, we're getting about 19 points and 8 rebounds from our 2 starters, and about 14 points and 8 rebounds from Maliq and Justin off the bench.

You figure that Joe and Jesse are fairly dependable from night to night. So if 2 of our 4 forwards has a good game (or Judah has an efficient and productive game if Joe is off), we can still beat pretty good teams.

To be really good teams with this group, pretty much 6 out of our top 7 guys have to be having good strong games, and our defense has to be active, Jesse out of foul trouble, guys getting out on shooters and holding our own on the boards, and not turning it over more than 10-12 times in a game.

Not quite play a perfect game, but nearly all of our guys have to be "on". We have so little margin for error against teams. It's nice to see games where more and more guys are contributing.

Fans and coaches should stop trying to pit these players against each other and see them in totality. Every year fans complain that JB doesn’t play enough players. This year the total parts is creating a strength. So should he play Brown and Taylor and sit Benny and Chris? Who cares who starts. Keep playing all four forwards and keep them all sharp and hopefully improving. Each of them bring different strengths. Just continue to take advantage of what they bring, instead of criticizing what they don’t do. It’s built depth. These four forwards, plus Symir and Hima gives us a solid nine players. Isn’t this what fans have been clamoring about for years?

Really nice analysis. I totally agree that it is a game to game mix and match situation.

Maliq stands out a bit from the others, but overall not much to distinguish Benny, Justin, and Chris from each other.

To me Cope is the mystery man. He oozes potential, but I do not get why he has so many TOs. Somehow, got to get him to cut TOs and earn a few more minutes. If we can get him to progress then we have a player who can complement Judah in breaking down D's. How many open looks might that create for Joe !!!

As for JBA, he can be a glue guy for short stints, but overall too slow and unskilled for more than cameo roles.

Really nice analysis. I totally agree that it is a game to game mix and match situation.

Maliq stands out a bit from the others, but overall not much to distinguish Benny, Justin, and Chris from each other.

To me Cope is the mystery man. He oozes potential, but I do not get why he has so many TOs. Somehow, got to get him to cut TOs and earn a few more minutes. If we can get him to progress then we have a player who can complement Judah in breaking down D's. How many open looks might that create for Joe !!!

As for JBA, he can be a glue guy for short stints, but overall too slow and unskilled for more than cameo roles.
Best line up has brown and Taylor

Look at our forwards plus/minus per 100 possessions. Two guys stand out.

1673618255986.png

Best line up has brown and Taylor

I actually think he should start Brown and Benny, and then bring Taylor off the bench first if Benny isn't getting it done. Use Bell against teams who zone us.

Look at our forwards plus/minus per 100 possessions. Two guys stand out.

View attachment 224135

I'm sorry; I don't see plus/minus on here. I see the Offensive & Defensive ratings, but I'm not sure how that works (i.e., is a lower number better for defense, or a higher one?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom