NA

• Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Orangezoo

In the wind
So not trying to jump the gun at all just had a few thoughts with another week long layoff until our next game. Hoping this strays from going into some sort of nude igor folder- music discussion ( not trying to say it wasn't interesting : ))

• I don't care to look at other teams as a model but since we have had a couple of really deep teams with the sixth man role being key, I kind of hope MCW stays next year regardless of the logjam. If you look at a team like Kansas - they run 5 perimeter and 4 bigs every year. Last year we had a solid rotation of 9 but did so efficiently and KU does the same. Self like Boeheim goes with the guys who help him win down the stretch while giving run to his younger 8-9 guys in the first half.

• Next year if MCW stays we will have MCW,Ennis, MG,Buss P and Trevor at the 1-2 ; CJ, BJ,MG, TR at the 3 ; Jerami, Rak, CJ,TR at the 4. And DC2, Rak and Baye at the 3.
  • That puts you with 12 guys who can play assuming you have CO redshirt ( considering his injury and need to develop I can see this ring true)
  • Without MCW the guard rotation will have a RS Sophomore, a transfer who rarely played and 2-3 freshmen dependant upon how BJ is positioned. Thats really young and a lot of growing pains.
  • Up front, having a lot of different looks would be great. Jeremi will be breakout star and we could have the best frontcourt in the nation. With that said I want these guys to earn their minutes. If TR and Baye have a hard time getting on the court and Trevor doesn't improve while BJ and MG provide outside shooting - thats 9-10 guys that can really play. Or you can switch it around.
  • The other key here is that having so many players clearly made us better last year as you had great competition in practice to get these guys ready for good competition. I think the direction of the program is so that hurt feelings are not a priority as much as earning playing time. I am excited about MG, Ennis and Patterson but would rather a seasoned MCW lead this group alongside a frontcourt that puts us as an immediate title contender vs having an inexperienced backcourt with a ton of growing pains.
  • MCW as a Jr, Baye/CJ as Sr's, Jerami as the breakout Soph star - gives us a really solid core. Add to that a hopefully improved DC2, mean Rak and a nice collection of young talent. I will take that all day. Depth has served us well over the past few years.

Any SU fan would want MCW back for another year. Looks like it would be a top 5 from the start. Only missing ingredient might be the designated 3 point shooter.

But realistically, the odds of MCW coming back are long. And SU/JB will be caught young and thin at the pg position. Going from a McD AA as the fourth guard to having a frosh and a converted sg running the point shows how quickly things can change in two years.

I just hope it's a better shooting/ball handling team.

Hopefully, Cooney can really improve over the summer and become a consistent shooter. Gbinje is supposedly a good shooter, too, right? We need those guys to step up big time.

I want MCW to go! It is clearly in the best interest of the kid, which is top priority for me and I think it is in the best long term interest of the program. We need to put consistently put kids in the lottery if we are to be an elite program. That will get elite talent to want to come here without elite talent we will not be an elite program.

Actually Jimmy won his championship with 2 freshman point guards, one a great shooter, the other who could dominate in the paint. If Ennis can play like Billy, and Cooney can give us a GMAC impersonation, G be Duany we'll be fine.

Forget about MCW. Backcourt will be fine. JB's had frosh start before (Jonny, JHart, GMac- ok not really a point but Edelin got lots of minutes too as a frosh). The inexperienced backcourt will be helped by, a. skill and b. great players upfront. CJ can help break a press, Rak/CJ/Jeremi will make for a very nice inside-out game resulting in good looks for Cooney and others. I believe Cooney will take a big step forward next year. He's got a good handle and head too. The other thing- almost all the really good teams are inexperienced somewhere or (ala Kentucky) everywhere.

Ennis looks poised beyond his years already. Not worried about him at all, if he does in fact start.

Gbinije and Cooney will be key though. Those two really need to be strong for us to have another good year.

Can't wait to see this Gbinjie play. I hoping for the kind of do it all game like Hardaway Jr. does at Michigan. Similar size.

My main concern next year is Ennis getting hurt and having no backup at PG. Seems like lately there is always something that derails a promising season - let's hope next year is injury and drama free!

Ennis looks poised beyond his years already. Not worried about him at all, if he does in fact start.

Gbinije and Cooney will be key though. Those two really need to be strong for us to have another good year.

I agree on TE

Its good to hear thoughts that Ennis will be poised for a frosh. I really hope that rings true. Having shooters to kick out to I think will be just as key. Based upon what I have seen I am guessing that Patterson becomes the best guy to man the point position behind Ennis. I could also see where there is room for Grant to improve his handle more to be a point forward a la KrisJo in his ability to help break pressure. That still leads us to who is the guy or guy(s) who help us space the floor. Jerami is a guy who I think could be a consistant threat to hit a couple threes each game. CJ I would like to see become a real threat to pull up and can the triple a la John Wallace. Other than that - Cooney, Gbinije or BJ really need to be consistant deep threats. Cooney will be by far the best perimeter defender at the top of the zone ( experience and proof from this year) so being able to have him gain confidence and come alive from outside the arc is crucial to allow the youngsters to get better against the zone. I presume Patterson is going to be a guy who you can't keep off the floor and I am guessing when and if he and Cooney are on top of the zone will be the best defensive group out there.

I want MCW to go! It is clearly in the best interest of the kid, which is top priority for me and I think it is in the best long term interest of the program. We need to put consistently put kids in the lottery if we are to be an elite program. That will get elite talent to want to come here without elite talent we will not be an elite program.

I actually can't tell if this is meant as sarcasm.

Isn't it in both SU's and MCW's best interests if he goes to the NBA at a point in his development when he's best-equipped to succeed in the NBA? Having him as a middle- to late lottery pick this year helps us no more than him going in the same or higher position a year later. And, if he's drafted when he's stronger and better-prepared, and has a greater impact in the NBA, isn't that a more impactful recruiting inducement than if he goes too soon and ends up flaming out, riding the bench, getting hurt, or demoted to the D-League?

re: recruiting — Kris and Fab being drafted by the Celtics might have done x-percent of good... on Draft Day. But, since then, they're not benefitting us much. Success in the NBA is a better, more durable recruiting tool.

That said, I'm really ambivalent about him leaving. If he returns, I'll be glad. It'll indicate he's got an understanding of his abilities in context and isn't ruled entirely by money and bravado. If he leaves, maybe it indicates his priorities were more Me first than Team first. I realize it's not that simple. I'm just satisfied with the crew we'll have next year, regardless of his decision.

Isn't it in both SU's and MCW's best interests if he goes to the NBA at a point in his development when he's best-equipped to succeed in the NBA? Having him as a middle- to late lottery pick this year helps us no more than him going in the same or higher position a year later. And, if he's drafted when he's stronger and better-prepared, and has a greater impact in the NBA, isn't that a more impactful recruiting inducement than if he goes too soon and ends up flaming out, riding the bench, getting hurt, or demoted to the D-League?

re: recruiting — Kris and Fab being drafted by the Celtics might have done x-percent of good... on Draft Day. But, since then, they're not benefitting us much. Success in the NBA is a better, more durable recruiting tool.

That said, I'm really ambivalent about him leaving. If he returns, I'll be glad. It'll indicate he's got an understanding of his abilities in context and isn't ruled entirely by money and bravado. If he leaves, maybe it indicates his priorities were more Me first than Team first. I realize it's not that simple. I'm just satisfied with the crew we'll have next year, regardless of his decision.

No I wasn't being sarcastic. I think there is probably a 60/40 change he ends up in the D-league for at least a little bit because he is not ready to help a NBA team right now. That said I think he should and will and almost MUST go. The D-league will help his development far more than SU will. He has zero shot at increasing his draft stock by coming back another year he can only lower it because the class of '13 have 10 lottery picks in it no matter what happens (except injury of course). This is about the business of basketball nothing else, Kyrie Irving played 8 games at Duke 6 were against cupcakes and he went #1. Melo won a NC and he was #3 on the pre-season draft boards and was drafted 3rd behind Darko. Now you can say that was a mistake and it was but the point is NOTHING Melo did in one of the greatest freshmen years in NCAA history changed anyone's mind that's just the reality of it.

SU gives a player the platform needed to show off their skills and get drafted after that they are on their own, and that is how it is sold to recruits "We will help you get to the league" once you are there good luck and God Bless.

Does anybody else think MCW's speed/quickness is just average-above average. I don't know. I watch lots of Cavs ball. Shaun Livingston is a good comparison but he, off of a horrible broken knee no less, looks faster than MCW.

I think that is because of the speed of the game in general. The NBA game is much faster and every team we play tries to slow the pace down on us. I'm sure MCW will test out just fine in the pre-draft camps.

Put yourself in MCW shoes. You are projected to be a lottery pick, possibly a very high one. Are you really going to turn down the money that comes with that? It isn't a selfish thing. It's a reality. What if he gets hurt or has another incident or two? The longer you stay in college the more your warts are exposed- you have to go when you can. It's negative thing about him, it's the system. Remember, college is all about getting a good job as soon as you can (at least for most).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom