Some transfers.. | Syracusefan.com

Some transfers..

Smart would help us at PF and C, but wouldn't necessarily get a ton of playing time, so idk if he'd want to transfer here. He could carve out a nice role, especially if Sid or Chukwu get hurt, but would that possibility be enough for him to come here? Luther seems like a great fit and I think he'd be confident in the size of the role he could fill here. idk about his defense, but he boards well and blocks some shots. Moves well. I'd love both guys.

I'm not sold on Finke. He doesn't look overly mobile and his defense looks like a big question mark (6'10" but doesn't block shots). I don't think we could play him in the zone at Forward, so his role wouldn't be large enough. He's a 3 point shooter, and that's practically all he is (over 50% of attempts are behind the arc). He's the kind of guy I was thinking of in the 3 point shooting thread who I don't want to bring in. A Big hitting 3's is great. When that's all he does, that's not great.

*edit: typing a single letter (the one between D and G on the keyboard) probably should not be censored*

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart would help us at PF and C, but wouldn't necessarily get a ton of playing time, so idk if he'd want to transfer here. He could carve out a nice role, especially if Sid or Chukwu get hurt, but would that possibility be enough for him to come here? Luther seems like a great fit and I think he'd be confident in the size of the role he could fill here. idk about his defense, but he boards well and blocks some shots. Moves well. I'd love both guys.

I'm not sold on Finke. He doesn't look overly mobile and his defense looks like a big question mark (6'10" but doesn't block shots). I don't think we could play him in the zone at Forward, so his role wouldn't be large enough. He's a 3 point shooter, and that's practically all he is (over 50% of attempts are behind the arc). He's the kind of guy I was thinking of in the 3 point shooting thread who I don't want to bring in. A Big hitting 3's is great. When that's all he does, that's not great.

*edit: typing a single letter (the one between D and G on the keyboard) probably should not be censored*

Why would Luther come here though? Minutes wouldn't be what he could earn elsewhere. He averaged a double/double in 32 mpg this year (10 games). He could probably get those minutes at a number of schools that would be an upgrade from the Pitt situation.

Smart barely played at UB. You don't think that he'd be willing to play 10 minutes per game at SU? I think that's the exact type of grad transfer we could feasibly get. He'd back up at Center and play forward if capable (not sure if he is capable though) for maybe 10-12 minutes per. Maybe he could drop down from UB to a Niagara type and play more.

Smart and Luther aren't shot blockers either, so not sure why that'd be a concern with Finke. The point is having another option, even if he's not an ideal zone anchor. Finke can hit the 3 and would at least give us a better pick and roll option. That's more than Chukwu gives us offensively. I don't think he'd come here though because of playing time.

Why would Luther come here though? Minutes wouldn't be what he could earn elsewhere. He averaged a double/double in 32 mpg this year (10 games). He could probably get those minutes at a number of schools that would be an upgrade from the Pitt situation.

Smart barely played at UB. You don't think that he'd be willing to play 10 minutes per game at SU? I think that's the exact type of grad transfer we could feasibly get. He'd back up at Center and play forward if capable (not sure if he is capable though) for maybe 10-12 minutes per. Maybe he could drop down from UB to a Niagara type and play more.

Smart and Luther aren't shot blockers either, so not sure why that'd be a concern with Finke. The point is having another option, even if he's not an ideal zone anchor. Finke can hit the 3 and would at least give us a better pick and roll option. That's more than Chukwu gives us offensively. I don't think he'd come here though because of playing time.

Smart and Luther get 1.0-1.5 blocks per 40. That's enough to have an impact at the rim. Finke gets 0.4. You have a point that Luther might not want to come here, but I assumed he's transferring mostly because of the issues at Pitt, not necessarily playing time. He could certainly take a lot of minutes from Marek. With 80 minutes at Forward, Marek could see 20, Oshae 30, and Luther 30, or something like that.

Finke is going to want a large role. Since he doesn't look like he could play Forward well in our zone (highlights vids of his are hard to find and mostly just him shooting spot-up 3's), Center is the only spot he could see minutes. Chukwu and Sid should both get double digit minutes, at least, per game and both look like considerably better defenders than Finke... when healthy. Would Finke want to transfer here for 15 mpg, if that? The fact that his role at Illinois basically didn't improve at all, in terms of playing time, in 3 years there is concerning.

Luther is 90% going to Arizona.
I wanted him weeks ago and have kept in touch with his process.
We haven’t reached out.

Smart and Luther get 1.0-1.5 blocks per 40. That's enough to have an impact at the rim. Finke gets 0.4. You have a point that Luther might not want to come here, but I assumed he's transferring mostly because of the issues at Pitt, not necessarily playing time. He could certainly take a lot of minutes from Marek. With 80 minutes at Forward, Marek could see 20, Oshae 30, and Luther 30, or something like that.

Finke is going to want a large role. Since he doesn't look like he could play Forward well in our zone (highlights vids of his are hard to find and mostly just him shooting spot-up 3's), Center is the only spot he could see minutes. Chukwu and Sid should both get double digit minutes, at least, per game and both look like considerably better defenders than Finke... when healthy. Would Finke want to transfer here for 15 mpg, if that? The fact that his role at Illinois basically didn't improve at all, in terms of playing time, in 3 years there is concerning.

I figured he's transferring because of the Pitt problems, but he'd want to land at a place where he starts and gets 30. Maybe he could get 25-30 here as you mentioned and maybe he could get 5-10 at Center. If so, he'd be a perfect add for what we need. A stretch 4 type with rebounding and some scoring chops.

I don't think Finke would be an option because of that D/playing time, but his ability to knock down some 3's would be a welcome threat from the pivot.