somebody help me out here | Syracusefan.com

somebody help me out here

moqui

generational talent
from the ESPN Stats & Information department, we get this:

The Orange have played a zone defense on 92.6 percent of their opponents’ possessions this season -- that’s the highest percentage of any Division I team. Syracuse allows 0.68 points per play in its zone defense, the lowest in Division I. Overall, Syracuse has the fourth-most efficient defense, allowing just 86 points per 100 possessions.

if we are giving up a miniscule .68 ppp in the zone, and we are in the zone 92.6% of the time, but our overall efficiency is just .86 per play . . . then we are giving up over 3 points per play when out of the zone?

I think there is some data collection issue going on here . . . I find it hard to believe that SU is out of the zone 7.4% of the time, so they are clearly mis-labeling some possessions, and it appears that those possessions all end up being made 3 pointers!

The Orange have played a zone defense on 92.6 percent of their opponents’ possessions this season -- that’s the highest percentage of any Division I team. Syracuse allows 0.68 points per play in its zone defense, the lowest in Division I. Overall, Syracuse has the fourth-most efficient defense, allowing just 86 points per 100 possessions.

if we are giving up a miniscule .68 ppp in the zone, and we are in the zone 92.6% of the time, but our overall efficiency is just .86 per play . . . then we are giving up over 3 points per play when out of the zone?

I think there is some data collection issue going on here . . . I find it hard to believe that SU is out of the zone 7.4% of the time, so they are clearly mis-labeling some possessions, and it appears that those possessions all end up being made 3 pointers!
Do fastbreak by opponents not count as zone?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Do fastbreak by opponents not count as zone?

That's what I think it is. Certain fast break possessions are labeled no defense I take it?

That's what I think it is. Certain fast break possessions are labeled no defense I take it?
that is clearly some of it, but it wouldn't account for the disparity between .68 and .86, unless every fast break resulted in 3 points on the other end

All I can think is that fastbreak baskets make up the other 7.4%, and perhaps in the .68 they are not factoring in free throws.

if the formula is

.926 * (.68) + .074(x) = .86

then x solves to 3.11 ppp!

so, is my formula wrong, or did they totally screw up their identification of the defenses? or is there a third possibility?

I am perfectly open to my formula being wrong, btw.

but I find it hard to believe that Syracuse is really surrendering just .68 points per play when in the zone.

if the formula is

so, is my formula wrong, or did they totally screw up their identification of the defenses? or is there a third possibility?

My guess is the labeling is misleading. I bet the 92.6% of zone possessions they reference don't include all of our defensive possessions. If MCW gets stripped at half court and it gets taken in for a dunk, then I bet that doesn't show up as any kind of defensive possession for these tracking purposes, but it does count as 2 points allowed.

Are they including FT's on Cuse defensive fouls ? I would gues not but agree the stat is strange.

What do they mean "points per play"? Sounds different from per possession. Without knowing that, it's hard to validate what they're saying.

If they mean "per shot" then offensive rebounds come into play.

Reminds me of ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360786634.956411.jpg

Fast break/steals, and perhaps the time when we're pressing? High risk, high reward.

if the formula is

but I find it hard to believe that Syracuse is really surrendering just .68 points per play when in the zone.
This explains why we haven't seen much of Orangefan13, he works for ESPN now.

if you look at Pomeroy's data going back 10 years, the #1 defense in the nation has never given up fewer than .822 ppp (Louisville is currently at .819)

.68 is just an incredibly unlikely number for such a high percentage of possessions

If a train leaves Syracuse (heading to Storrs) at 6:30 and goes 60 m.p.h. and a train leaves from Storrs (heading to Syracus) at 4:30 and goes 35 m.p.h. when will they pass one another?

If a train leaves Syracuse (heading to Storrs) at 6:30 and goes 60 m.p.h. and a train leaves from Storrs (heading to Syracus) at 4:30 and goes 35 m.p.h. when will they pass one another?
Well, if my math is correct, then the answer is...

it's a trick question, because the train leaving Storrs gets detoured to a CUSA game in Tulane, while the train leaving Syracuse is headed for a nationally televised game vs. Duke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom