Somebody tell me our offensive philosophy | Syracusefan.com

Somebody tell me our offensive philosophy

Alsacs

Living Legend
We all know our defensive philosophy 2-3 zone. However, on offense we seem so easy to defend all we do is screen and our guys use their talent. It is frustrating I have no clue why our talent has a real plan on offense.

We all know our defensive philosophy 2-3 zone. However, on offense we seem so easy to defend all we do is screen and our guys use their talent. It is frustrating I have no clue why our talent has a real plan on offense.
It seems you understand it quite well. Give the ball to an elite offensive talent and let them create. When we don't have that guy, we struggle.

Even the screens look pointless most of the time. The double high screen with Ennis taking the ball around it, he goes wide, the screeners dont go to the basket, dont create follow up screens or action of any kind, and the ball rotates to, at best, 1 on 1 action for CJ, or at worst, Ennis dribbling longer and getting deeper into the clock until some other 1 on 1 action is forced.

I understand JB likes free flowing offense, but either we dont have the players to run it, or teams have devised strategies to beat it. We dont get easy buckets, even on bad teams, and every shot looks contested. Thsi is part of the reason we are often playing in the 50s with teams that dont have half the talent we do.

We could start by recruiting a center that other teams won't be able to completely ignore and who could reach double figures once a millennium. It's tough playing 4 on 5 every night.

We could start by recruiting a center that other teams won't be able to completely ignore and who could reach double figures once a millennium. It's tough playing 4 on 5 every night.

AGREE

And yet Christmas and Coleman were too of the most highly ranked centers in their class. Maybe there is time for Coleman to develop (notwithstanding his injury), but he reminds me of a bull in a china shop on offense, and his post up game was supposed to be a strength. Rak's offensive development in 3 years has been minimal. Very frustrating.

And yet Christmas and Coleman were too of the most highly ranked centers in their class. Maybe there is time for Coleman to develop (notwithstanding his injury), but he reminds me of a bull in a china shop on offense, and his post up game was supposed to be a strength. Rak's offensive development in 3 years has been minimal. Very frustrating.
I actually think Rak got a lot better on offense this year; the only problem is he never got touches.

doc05 said:

Rak was a highly overrated Mickey D and it may turn out that Coleman was as well.

A big part of our problem.

I actually think Rak got a lot better on offense this year; the only problem is he never got touches.

He did improve somewhat but by accident he should have scored ten points a game just on putbacks. Opposing defenses completely ignored him and focused on stopping our forwards. RC has no real face up game or drop step move- all he has is the hook shot. Ennis is pretty good at dropping a dime but my sense is that he and the others have very little confidence in our centers.

Guys, come on. We got a ton of great looks last night. We just didn't make them. The same offensive philosophy got us a win Thursday. We just played poorly on offense last night...

I didn't see a ton. A few open bunnies and lots of challenged runners/prayers. A couple of jump shots missed yes. It looked like 5 on 6 out there frankly. Either the offense is so bad or they were just amazing on D. I think the former.

Guys, come on. We got a ton of great looks last night. We just didn't make them. The same offensive philosophy got us a win Thursday. We just played poorly on offense last night...
The offense has sucked since the Duke game at the Dome with the exception of two games @Florida State because Fair was superb in that game and Western Michigan because they were outmatched athletically. Our offensive philosophy is honestly a mystery. Expecting iso and talent to hit shots is like the NBA. I wish we had more sets than pick ball screen or Grant ISO or Fair ISO and depending on them alone. We are easy to defend as we predictable but our talent still shines and typically make the shots.

doc05 said:

We haven't developed a center since Bernie left. I hope Coleman does or Christmas makes the leap we've been waiting for, but I'm not counting on it. Would kill to be proven wrong.

Alsacs said:
The offense has sucked since the Duke game at the Dome with the exception of two games @Florida State because Fair was superb in that game and Western Michigan because they were outmatched athletically. Our offensive philosophy is honestly a mystery. Expecting iso and talent to hit shots is like the NBA. I wish we had more sets than pick ball screen or Grant ISO or Fair ISO and depending on them alone. We are easy to defend as we predictable but our talent still shines and typically make the shots.

I watch Michigan and Florida and get jealous. Both teams are so fun to watch when they're rolling.

I watch Michigan and Florida and get jealous. Both teams are so fun to watch when they're rolling.

Totally. Michigan freaking lost McGary to injury and Burke/Hardaway Jr. to the draft. Impressive.

We haven't developed a center since Bernie left. I hope Coleman does or Christmas makes the leap we've been waiting for, but I'm not counting on it. Would kill to be proven wrong.

Same. We need to find guys who can score moving forward. You can have a 3 or 4 game offensive rut or shooting woes but this??!

Totally. Michigan freaking lost McGary to injury and Burke/Hardaway Jr. to the draft. Impressive.
Stauskas went from a role player to a superstar. Imagine if Cooney made a jump like that this past year?

Stauskas went from a role player to a superstar. Imagine if Cooney made a jump like that this past year?

If Stauskas was just a role player last year, then you could argue that everyone that plays basketball is a role player. The guy was easily their best shooter as a freshman and averaged over 11 points a game. Both Stauskas and Cooney made big leaps this year. Stauskas was just at a higher level to begin with.

If Stauskas was just a role player last year, then you could argue that everyone that plays basketball is a role player. The guy was easily their best shooter as a freshman and averaged over 11 points a game. Both Stauskas and Cooney made big leaps this year. Stauskas was just at a higher level to begin with.
Yeah they're not comparable at this point (not a cooney slight).

Being a 3rd/4th offensive option is a role player in my mind. You're right though, Stauskas was at a higher level last year than Cooney was.

I think the medical and coaching staff dropped the ball on Coleman's knee. I think Boeheim was desperate for to him to play thru an injury from last year.

I was told anyways that this was an old knee injury.

Coleman has the talent to be a very good center,but needs to lose some weight to take the pressure off his knees.

bpo57 said:
He did improve somewhat but by accident he should have scored ten points a game just on putbacks. Opposing defenses completely ignored him and focused on stopping our forwards. RC has no real face up game or drop step move- all he has is the hook shot. Ennis is pretty good at dropping a dime but my sense is that he and the others have very little confidence in our centers.
JB started showing him up again and it all went downhill on offense for him. Christmas needs to be handled more gently.

jdubs30 said:

He's my dream 2 guard for our zone. 6'6" and can do it all offensively.

Isn't Stauskas like 6'7" tall.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom