Someone remind me why players don't get paid? | Syracusefan.com

Someone remind me why players don't get paid?

Scooch

Living Legend
Schools are killing each other over billions of dollars in media revenue, facilities, licensing, etc. All of which is built on the backs of 18-22 year olds playing for free. Oh wait, they get a scholarship.

Student-athletes. What a joke.

Wait till the IRS gets involved...I give it 3 more years before they take away the non profit status on Div 1 sports

so we have a business model where 20 schools make money. should we be paying kids at schools that lose money?

I know people who have student loans will tear into me...but how much money did you make for your college?

Some in-state high-profile kid from, say, Bama probably has a schollie package worth $30K, while the school banks $100+ million from the football program.

if you work for mobil and they make 50 billion in profits why do some only make 20k a year? you also need to pay the 1000's that played already because that tradition is what is making the money now.

there is no model that paying the kids works.. and they already get more than a skolie in free money and other benefits.

Those poor, ridiculously spoiled and privileged college athletes. God help them!

How about those admnistrators who bank 6 and 7 figure salaries because those kids play for free?

Or do they not count?

How about those admnistrators who bank 6 and 7 figure salaries because those kids play for free?

Or do they not count?

I just don't care. Maybe I'm cold-hearted.

There are greater injustices in the world today.

if you work for mobil and they make 50 billion in profits why do some only make 20k a year? you also need to pay the 1000's that played already because that tradition is what is making the money now.

there is no model that paying the kids works.. and they already get more than a skolie in free money and other benefits.

simple, pay them minimum wage for every hour of training and practice just like the staff who works at the university who make a small wage but get tuition benefits.

I just don't care. Maybe I'm cold-hearted.

There are greater injustices in the world today.

I actually just want to stick it to the money-grubbing, greedy, immoral, hypocritical administrators.

I make pennies too compared to the zillions my company makes. So the kids education costs is comparable. Im all for giving them walking around money, but not for paying them anything significant.

They don't have to go to college. But college offers them a greater opportunity to either get a good paying job or get paid to play a sport.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If these jackass ADs and Boards of Trustees want to play at being professional sports GMs I suggest the NCAA take a page out of the NBA playbook and impose a salary cap. If no football program coaching staff is permitted to earn more than $4 million total that should put something of a crimp into the escalating arms buildup.

I'm rapidly becoming thoroughly disgusted with big-time college athletics. Thank God for the FCS and Division III.

• it's college and they are students first
  • some get up to $50k a year in free education
  • as mentioned above, only a few schools that have an athletic department operating in the black
  • amateur sports have a certain appeal about them that makes them fun to watch as a fan
  • most athletes don't care about getting paid and are just happy to be playing in college while getting an education
  • if you paid players in one sport, you would have to do it in all sports and it would be impossible to track 1000's of athletes on whether they are only getting paid the allotted amount

Schools are killing each other over billions of dollars in media revenue, facilities, licensing, etc. All of which is built on the backs of 18-22 year olds playing for free. Oh wait, they get a scholarship.

Student-athletes. What a joke.

They already do get paid, it's called room, board, and tuition. End of debate.

I tend to agree that they get paid with their scholly but they should get some type of stipend per semester. I dont think that would be asking too much.

Yes, they get a scholarship... they also get free clothes, monthly stipends, better lounges and study areas than the rest of the student body, and every academic aid at their disposal.

How do we determine who makes how much money? Does the starting qb make more than the back-up kicker? What about non revenue sports? Do those athletes not get paid (imagine the title IX uproar)? Do schools that make more money pay their athletes more? What about teams that simply can't afford to pay players? If the facility wars give certain teams an advantage, imagine the advantage certain teams would have if they could pay players.

A free education is huge. If most of these kids would get their heads out of their asses and graduate, they could parlay that into a great future. 99% of these kids aren't going to the next level, so take advantage of what is being given to you. People truly underestimate the value of a college education. It is a good deal to be athletic and get your schooling taken care of.

The universities get the big bucks, the kids get something huge too. If we pay the players, why even have college football? Let them all try to make it to the NFL out of HS. Good luck with that.