Something for discussion while we wait for hoops season... | Syracusefan.com

Something for discussion while we wait for hoops season...

jekelish

Living Legend
http://.com/which-college-has-the-greatest-combo-of-football-and-hoops-greats/

I started thinking about this question this morning and, in looking into it, it's pretty amazing how few colleges have a true all-time great in both hoops and basketball. I'm sure I missed some (and probably one or two obvious ones that I'll be kicking myself about when I realize it) but my intent wasn't to rank them, just to spark a little conversation.

Very nicely done. I vote for Syracuse, big surprise.

I hate to admit it but personally I'd give the edge to Carolina.

Jordan and Brown are a push, so it comes down to Bing versus LT, and LT is just historically more of an all-timer than Bing.

I'd put us ahead of Kansas, though. I'd say Bing is about on par with Sayers, but Brown is above Wilt. Obviously this is crossing sports but you have to figure Brown > Sayers, and Chamberlain > Bing, so it comes down to Brown vs Wilt and Bing vs Sayers. Same for the UNC matchup.

One other school that comes to mind is Ohio State ...where you can take your pick among stars in both sports. I guess I'd go with Archie Griffin and John Havllicek. Best I could think of at Michigan was Tom Harmon and Cazzie Russell. But neither of those schools matches your top three.

Last edited:
How did I not think of Ohio State? They are certainly in the discussion, though obviously in terms of lasting impact at the pro level as well, I'm not sure they really do compare with SU, UNC, or KU.

I'm certain there's a school out there I'm just not thinking of but can't for the life of me figure out who it could be.

Here's one for you... University of San Francisco. Bill Russell and Ollie Matson (or Gino Marchetti).

Tennessee---Bernard King and Peyton Manning

Tennessee---Bernard King and Peyton Manning
Tennessee also has Reggie White, who a lot of people might put ahead of Peyton, too. But to me King falls short.

Holy cow, Otto's Grove has a facebook!? We should all go "like" it!

Seriously. Go like it.

https://www.facebook.com/
Did you know there's apparently also a Twitter?! Wild! It's http://www.twitter.com/ from what I gather.

The Souther Illinois Salukis, representing New York naturally.
Walt "Clyde" Frazier
Brandon Jacobs, honorable Jet mention Bart Scott
Not in the same company as the ones above, but the pride of NYC.

Some others I could think of, not sure they match UNC, Cuse, Kansas
Michigan- Brady and Webber
Auburn- Bo and Barkley
Oklahoma-Sims and Tisdale
Georgia-Herscel and Dominique

I can't believe I forgot Oklahoma State - Barry Sanders and BIG COUNTRY REEVES!

SUfanNC said:
I think Marshall Faulk went to San Diego State!

I think you're right, Kevin Faulk went to LSU. I need a star LSU football player