something I noticed on friday | Syracusefan.com

something I noticed on friday

billorange44

2nd String
I haven't seen anything about this, but in the third quarter we were only behind by 14 points and this team kept going and not giving up. I said to my friend beside me that this team gives you hope. I have not felt that since the McNabb years. I know we will get there. After all, we hung with, I believe a national contender for three quarters.

billorange44 said:
I haven't seen anything about this, but in the third quarter we were only behind by 14 points and this team kept going and not giving up. I said to my friend beside me that this team gives you hope. I have not felt that since the McNabb years. I know we will get there. After all, we hung with, I believe a national contender for three quarters.

Shh. We're being depressed.

Are we really supposed to be impressed that the team kept trying? I never felt like Shafer, Marrone, Robinson, Pasqualoni, or MacPherson teams gave up.

I don't think we have to try so hard for silver linings. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to feel optimistic.

I was impressed with the effort to keep climbing back to within two scores but it was a somewhat hollow feeling because I was equally impressed the Louisville looked like they could bump it up to 4 scores whenever they wanted to.

Are we really supposed to be impressed that the team kept trying? I never felt like Shafer, Marrone, Robinson, Pasqualoni, or MacPherson teams gave up.

I don't think we have to try so hard for silver linings. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to feel optimistic.
Like I said, I haven't felt hope since McNabb was here. There were times that yes, even under Coach P, I thought they gave up. Down at Rutgers in 1999 comes to mind. I never mentioned Coach Mac who I feel was second only to Ben Schwartzwalder.

At least I feel hope now. I felt on Friday that even down by 14, I had a feeling that this team could pull it out. I never felt that under Grob, Marrone or Schaffer. With them I kept waiting for the wheels to fall off when something good happened. Like Rutgers a few years ago when they had Ray Rice and we went up 14 to zip only to lose big.

I don't know, when the defense gave up those two long td runs in the 4th, I said to myself that they look like a team that threw in the towel, I am sure they did not but the whole game on defense was beyond pathetic

Let me add that because of their conditioning the team expects to own the 4th quarter. I could tell on the sideline that both the coaches and players were very hyped up about where they were at that point in the game. You could see it on the sideline.

As we all know, our turnovers in the 4th caused us to implode, mentally breakdown leading to the route. I do expect us to win the 4th quarter against most teams going forward.

Like I said, I haven't felt hope since McNabb was here. There were times that yes, even under Coach P, I thought they gave up. Down at Rutgers in 1999 comes to mind. I never mentioned Coach Mac who I feel was second only to Ben Schwartzwalder.

At least I feel hope now. I felt on Friday that even down by 14, I had a feeling that this team could pull it out. I never felt that under Grob, Marrone or Schaffer. With them I kept waiting for the wheels to fall off when something good happened. Like Rutgers a few years ago when they had Ray Rice and we went up 14 to zip only to lose big.

Yup. I agree. I was especially optimistic after we scored to only be down 14 before the half and getting the ball in 2nd.

I will say, and i know it sounds hindsight 20/20 now, but I was a big proponent of getting the 3 on 4th down earlier. Imagine the feeling if the score was 35-24 at half... or heck even 35-27 and only down a TD if Murph hit that last FG.

I don't know, when the defense gave up those two long td runs in the 4th, I said to myself that they look like a team that threw in the towel, I am sure they did not but the whole game on defense was beyond pathetic
it was pathetic, but maybe they were just exhausted by then. i felt bad through out the game for them as they were so out talented and the scheme seemed not to be working. either a poor scheme given the athletes we have or just simply the talent gap

P's teams definitely quit from time to time. A couple of the Miami games, the 62-0 VT loss, a WVU drubbing, some losses to Rutgers, the Homecoming embarrassment to Pitt...

They seemed good for at least one quit game per season.

If you take away the horrible start, we were in that game almost the whole time. People have to understand this is going to happen while we transition into a new offense/defense.

Giving up and having a chance to come back are two different concepts.

I usually won't presume to know if a player is trying hard or not unless it is obvious. Ineptitude can be mistaken for a lack of effort.

Last edited:
It killed me... I was late to the game and only half paying attention but everyone the score would get within 14 and we had the ball I would flip over and we'd go three and out. The opening drive of the second half was a disaster... if we had managed to score that drive it would have been a different game. But Louisville brought pressure and we had no idea how to handle it. I would have loved to see a screen on that 2nd down.

It killed me... I was late to the game and only half paying attention but everyone the score would get within 14 and we had the ball I would flip over and we'd go three and out. The opening drive of the second half was a disaster... if we had managed to score that drive it would have been a different game. But Louisville brought pressure and we had no idea how to handle it. I would have loved to see a screen on that 2nd down.
Yes, if we had scored on the opening drive of the second half we are down 7 and it's a different game all together.

The Colgate game was detrimental to any kind of prep for Louisville. We went from a team that showed us pedestrian speed to one that threw warp speed at us. This week against USF will be played at mach speed. Will be interesting to see out of the gate how the D handles it.

I see it like this - it was clear we were trying to get back into the game. We really weren't content once we got punched to try and keep it close. If we try to keep it close, we take the field goal instead of running that 4th down play.

It felt different to me from what we're used to seeing. I'm sure there's some confirmation bias at play, but I was encouraged.

Personally, I always felt like I could SEE the Robinson teams quit from time to time. It was evident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom