Something to think about | Syracusefan.com

Something to think about

sabach

All American
on this non SU game weekend. Somebody gave me an SU 2015 media guide yesterday. One of the sections lists each player who has worn each uniform number. In your opinion, what number has the best history in SU hoops?

on this non SU game weekend. Somebody gave me an SU 2015 media guide yesterday. One of the sections lists each player who has worn each uniform number. In your opinion, what number has the best history in SU hoops?

can u give us some help?

I can't speak for everyone here... but I can't easily think of everyone's number.

44 has to be up there. 15, 3, 1 probably 5 off the top of my head.

51 has Forth and Melo.

It sounds like a football play.

44 is stuck in my head, for no other reason than Derrick Coleman... He was a beast... Not sure of who else may have worn this number there, but that's the only name/number that instantaneously pops into my head when talking of SU

44 seems the obvious choice.

However, like DeGrozz, I'm going with 42 because of McCroskey.

There are pictures of Jim Brown wearing #44 in basketball:
JimBrown.jpg

But there are alos pcitures of his wearing #30:
jim-brown.57297333.jpg

And he wore #56 in lacrosse:
7114v1.jpg

So he was a man of many numbers.

Dave Bing and Dennis Duval (and Ernie Austin).

Even if Jim Brown didn't wear 44 in basketball, it still is way up there with DC and Wallace. But since we know Jim Brown also wore it at least long enough to have that photo taken, it is just icing on the cake. He was a major talent in bball.
1 and 3 also have strong histories, but the 44 guys were transcendent players.

CusefanATL - you left a fairly key name off your #11 list: Tyler Ennis!

Even if Jim Brown didn't wear 44 in basketball, it still is way up there with DC and Wallace. But since we know Jim Brown also wore it at least long enough to have that photo taken, it is just icing on the cake. He was a major talent in bball.
1 and 3 also have strong histories, but the 44 guys were transcendent players.

CusefanATL - you left a fairly key name off your #11 list: Tyler Ennis!

Your post deserves many likes, but I left mine off simply for the last line(too ambiguous at the moment). Rak might have similar feelings. ;)

You don't see Ennis as a great player for us? I mean, he would have to out rank Paul Harris even though he was only here a year.

You don't see Ennis as a great player for us? I mean, he would have to out rank Paul Harris even though he was only here a year.

In fairness, the only one year player that has a spot in my heart is Melo. I also really dislike the slow down, pass it around the outside and have some one jack a shot to beat the clock to keep your turnover ratio low game as well. I believe myself and others had mentioned this in posts long before he decided to turn pro, as well as the number of times Rak worked his butt off to get position for nothing. I'd be really curious to see how Rak's season would have differed with TE here this season(my guess is not as good). For my own one vote, I would say one very good season for a freshman in a weak ACC, but not an all time great SU career that will stick in my memory. Maybe the choice to shoot a jumper to end the season(and his career) vs Dayton biases my opinion even more, but I'm open minded enough to change it. At the moment, I'd rank Josh Pace higher, maybe even Craig Forth too. Craig has a title belt, and could throw an assist too:

Last edited:
44 wallace coleman schayes jim brown?!
1 mcw hak rautins allen griffin
5 fair hart mcnabb pace don'te
3 grant gmac waiter shumpert roe (depth)
11 is sneaky with leo, paul harris, and scoop

here is some additional info:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...layers_and_their_je.html#incart_story_package

McNabb wore 24 before number 5

Luke Jackson 34 before number 5

and Z Sims wore 10 then number 3

Didn't Autry wear #15 his last two years?

Anyone think of other multinumber players? Griffin was #12 right?

Oh and 11 = James Thues and Elimu Nelson

There has only been one 00 Rick Jackson and one 0 Silent G

Last edited:
McNabb wore 24l before number 5

Luke Jackson 34 before number 5

and Z Sims Z wore 10 then number 3

Didnt Autry wear #15 his last two years?

Anyne think of other multinumber players? Griffin was #12 right?

Oh and 11 = James Thues and Elimu Nelson

There has only been one 00 Rick Jackson and one 0 Silent G

Triche was 25 and 20

Triche was 25 and 20

Yep. Didn't Rautins change from 3 to 1 as well. Pretty sure Scoop didn't start as #11 either.

Otis hill was #34 first as well I believe.

Yep. Didn't Rautins change from 3 to 1 as well. Pretty sure Scoop didn't start as #11 either.

Otis hill was #34 first as well I believe.

Andy Rautins always wore #1.

Scoop started with #33 before changing to #11.

And Otis Hill wore #45 for two years before changing to #4.

OrangeXtreme said:
Andy Rautins always wore #1.

Scoop started with #33 before changing to #11.

And Otis Hill wore #45 for two years before changing to #4.

Too lazy to check, but did anyone mention Dave Johnson I believe changing from #23?

There are pictures of Jim Brown wearing #44 in basketball:
JimBrown.jpg

But there are alos pcitures of his wearing #30:
jim-brown.57297333.jpg

And he wore #56 in lacrosse:
7114v1.jpg

So he was a man of many numbers.

SU has to find a way to recreate a modernized throwback of this jersey...

JimBrown.jpg

SU has to find a way to recreate a modernized throwback of this jersey...

JimBrown.jpg

They did:
14316432-standard.jpg

(But I suspect you knew that...)

They did:
14316432-standard.jpg

(But I suspect you knew that...)

Those were throwbacks to the late 80s uniforms - Jim Brown's have a different script.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom