Sorta OT - NIL.. | Syracusefan.com

Sorta OT - NIL..

Forza Azzurri

All American
For those of you with access to Bloomberg, great article on the state of NIL...

First article in a series covering payments to college athletes.

Some of the highlights covered in this article that I have not seen elsewhere include:

The MSU NIL cooperative Spartan Dawgs 4 Life suddenly ending all payments to MSU football players right before their game with Iowa last September in the aftermath of the Mel Tucker firing, almost leading to the team boycotting the game.

The authors were able to obtain three contracts and had conversations with 20 others who have supposedly seen other contracts. They tend to contain broad termination rights including clauses such as, "the company shall have the right to terminate the deal for any reason at any time" and strict confidentiality regarding terms even after the termination of the contract.

Of course it also works the other way with incidents related to a player committing to a school, collecting some NIL and then committing elsewhere.

Lots of ink devoted to financial promises made to players by collectives and/or coaches without the money actually having been raised and then players being left empty-handed when the funding does not materialize.

All in all, the same ole sordid mess, now just done under the guise of legality as opposed to under the table.

A few years ago we thought NIL would result in players making money selling t-shirts and doing local car commercials. Now we have this lurid mess. We should have seen it coming. :(

I suspect the NCAA felt that allowing payments to athletes had all kinds of negative impacts which is why they fought it for so long. After losing every lawsuit possible, they opted to go in a direction they knew was going to be an absolute fiasco - but which had the advantage of being fairly easily implanted immediately and would get the courts off their backs. It’s not great for college athletics right now, but I think the NCAA is either waiting for it to get so bad that they can get some breathing room to create new guidelines or for the conferences to fix it themselves.

I certainly didn’t think this was going to be anything but a fiasco - but if there were people who thought all that was going to happen was kids would make money from t-shirts and celebrated the NCAA losing lawsuits, it’s an indictment on the ability of those folks to anticipate the consequences of policy changes.

but I think the NCAA is either waiting for it to get so bad that they can get some breathing room to create new guidelines or for the conferences to fix it themselves.
OR...just throwing it out there...

The NCAA is really incompetent?

Thought most of these kids would have NIL agents by now that would be able to help with the legal-ese. What's the point of a contract if it can be terminated for any reason?

Or maybe the NCAA got sick of dealing with all the b!itching from their member institutions and just said “Well, you asked for it, you got it. We’ll give you some vague guidelines and you rocket surgeons work out the deets.” Now get off my lawn.

Who's judging it? Is it like a pre-nup? You lay out expectations number-wise that have to be met?
Good questions. I have no idea how they're structured.

If I put up money for someone who didn't turn out, I'd be unlikely to fund a second time. So yeah, I'd expect some sort of performance guidelines built in that would give me an out, plus an insurance policy on the kid. Wouldn't you if it was your money?

Good questions. I have no idea how they're structured.

If I put up money for someone who didn't turn out, I'd be unlikely to fund a second time. So yeah, I'd expect some sort of performance guidelines built in that would give me an out, plus an insurance policy on the kid. Wouldn't you if it was your money?
Honestly, no. If I own a car dealership and a kid has a bad season but he's in my commercials I'm not going to take his money away. That's a risk I made to have him represent me.