Sour Sitrus Society Song Suggestion | Syracusefan.com

Sour Sitrus Society Song Suggestion

iommi

Living Legend
I think most of us think that the SU promo that airs during our televised games is pretty damn cool. Our university has a lot of personalities and accomplishments of which to be proud.

The promo would be worthless without legendary SU alum Lou Reed and his band, the Velvet Underground's, "Head Held High."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SSS doesn't play it during our games. I think it would be a great addition to their repertoire and could get the fans (especially the students) pumped up and involved.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Fabulous! But Iommi, I don't think you have one bit of pull with that band. I don't even think CTO does! (Or... does she?)

I think most of us think that the SU promo that airs during our televised games is pretty damn cool. Our university has a lot of personalities and accomplishments of which to be proud.

The promo would be worthless without legendary SU alum Lou Reed and his band, the Velvet Underground's, "Head Held High."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SSS doesn't play it during our games. I think it would be a great edition to their repertoire and could get the fans (especially the students) pumped up and involved.

Thoughts?
Not a bad song.
And good for the promo.
Although I'd prefer "Rock & Roll"

Or a couple of songs by a couple of guys who were at SU at the same time as Lou Reed.
Somehow there was huge talent on campus back then.

This is one of rock's all time greatest hits.
Felix Cavaliere didn't write it but he sang the definitive version.
(Pardon one of the all time worst lip synchs)

And maybe even better...one of the all-time most under-appreciated rock stars with a song that should be a universally known rock anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RzBZsOeqOQ

Not a bad song.
And good for the promo.
Although I'd prefer "Rock & Roll"

Or a couple of songs by a couple of guys who were at SU at the same time as Lou Reed.
Somehow there was huge talent on campus back then.

This is one of rock's all time greatest hits.
Felix Cavaliere didn't write it but he sang the definitive version.
(Pardon one of the all time worst lip synchs)

And maybe even better...one of the all-time most under-appreciated rock stars with a song that should be a universally known rock anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RzBZsOeqOQ

Rock and Roll is a great song but it's not a great song for a pep band to play IMO.

Great suggestion!
Didn't realize Reed was a SU alum.
Another reason to like that promo.

As a Sitrus alum (non-sousaphone), I'm pretty sure that if you bought them the music ( along with a couple of beers), they would play it.

Royalties from the SSS must be supporting the J Geils Band in their old age

Rock and Roll is a great song but it's not a great song for a pep band to play IMO.
True...but they wouldn't be able to get away with "Sweet Jane."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SSS doesn't play it during our games. I think it would be a great addition to their repertoire and could get the fans (especially the students) pumped up and involved.

Thoughts?
I love this idea. The cool factor is off the charts.

Thoughts?
Yeah! Play songs no on knows!

Eagerly awaiting the day when Sour Sitrus plays during every timeout and SU stops trying to drown us with minor league sports atmosphere.

No improvement on this front as of Tuesday. Though the fans actually got into the cheerleaders' awful cheer because the St. Bonaventure fans tried to drown it out with a cheer of their own.

True...but they wouldn't be able to get away with "Sweet Jane."

I guess you're a "Loaded" fan. I've always been partial to the first album. "White Light White Heat" is raw but really good, as are all their albums. I love the Peel Slowly & See box set, with tons of unreleased stuff on it.

Who pissed in your Cheerios? You don't think anyone knows that song and melody after it's been played during every SU hoops and SU football game on national tv for the past several seasons? Got it. Oh, and Lou Reed is very obscure. Right. He's only in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice over.

And it would be fun, with all the students shouting the "head held high" chorus. It's catchy as can be.

But thanks for your input.

I guess you're a "Loaded" fan. I've always been partial to the first album. "White Light White Heat" is raw but really good, as are all their albums. I love the Peel Slowly & See box set, with tons of unreleased stuff on it.
That was the one that was supposed to be "loaded with hits."
Actually not a huge Velvet Underground fan.
I prefer the NY Dolls from that era.
Saw David Johansen a couple of months ago and he's still got a great voice.
It's amazing how many sucdcessful incarnations he's had: the Dolls, The David Johansen Group (Live at the Bottom Line is really good), Buster Poindexter, the Harry Smiths, back to David Johansen and I may be missing something.
Only problem is he's not an SU alum...unlike Lou Reed, Felix Cavaliere and Garland Jeffreys.

Capt. Tuttle said:

Well, I think it's a cool idea. Play it enough and our fans will know it - it's not like fans of other schools are whistling our fight song either. It kinda makes ours.

You know the words to Rockytop?

Great idea! Who's on it? & I much prefer Loaded to the 1st album...

Thoughts?
The song I've always wanted the SSS to play has nothing to do with Syracuse or its alumni, because it's a TV theme song - Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's uptempo and rocking, and it ends with a kick butt burst of drums. Of course it's been off the air more than 10 years I think so the kids may not know it, but it's also a cult classic so they might.

In light of the recent NCAA fiasco, "Head Held High" would have a double entendre.

With all due respect this conversation is moot.

The band will continue to stand by while DJ Whats-hisnuts pumps terrible 5 year old "hits" into the sound system.

In light of the recent NCAA fiasco, "Head Held High" would have a double entendre.
With all due respect this conversation is moot.

The band will continue to stand by while DJ Whats-hisnuts pumps terrible 5 year old "hits" into the sound system.

Great points from both of you! The 2nd point is depressing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom