SOURCE: #Michigan has dismissed defensive coordinator Don Brown. | Syracusefan.com

SOURCE: #Michigan has dismissed defensive coordinator Don Brown.

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
Would have been a decent hire had we not found a capable D-Coordinator. Don has a real connection in the ISL/Catholic league in Boston. He's completely dominated in the space.

SOURCE: #Michigan has dismissed defensive coordinator Don Brown.

Idk, if he can't cut it at michigan with the studs they have could he really do much here

Don is a good coach. I'm not sure he's the problem. Did exceptionally well at UMass. That situation may be rotting from the head.

Shafer was a D Coordinator at Michigan and did very well here in that spot

Idk, if he can't cut it at michigan with the studs they have could he really do much here
Many assessments I heard of Michigan this year involved the defense trying to do stuff that worked with elite athletes, except now the athletes aren't as elite.

Does he yell at the players?? DL Coach??

Reactions: CIL
He is 65. The writing has been on the wall for some time. He played a key role recruiting a bunch of very good players from New England to Michigan. We wanted a bunch of them badly.

I expect to see a lot of those kids looking to leave Michigan now. No inside info here, but I predict we get at least one of them. BC is going to add a couple too.

Much rather would have white. They have 4 and 5 star players playing against awful offenses and he still stunk

He is 65. The writing has been on the wall for some time. He played a key role recruiting a bunch of very good players from New England to Michigan. We wanted a bunch of them badly.

I expect to see a lot of those kids looking to leave Michigan now. No inside info here, but I predict we get at least one of them. BC is going to add a couple too.
All true but he couldn’t flip Iffy from us late though, even after being his brother’s DC at UConn & traveling to Mass with Harbaugh to attend his HS hoops game.

They need G-Rob back...and the teddy bear too.
Gerg: Master motivator. The teddy bear method (gif) | mgoblog

I know a few Michigan recruits from the Boston area and seem strong Mich still. I hope you're right. I would think Hafley would be smart to find a spot for him at BC once again.

We could use Don if we had the funds to pay for him. He's a good football guy and another person who can help support Dino

Why is the dismissal of an assistant coach from a team in another conference considered breaking headline news here? I clicked this looking for some Syracuse connection.

Why is the dismissal of an assistant coach from a team in another conference considered breaking headline news here? I clicked this looking for some Syracuse connection.
East coast ties and maybe people think he could come here and recruit the region?

East coast ties and maybe people think he could come here and recruit the region?
We don’t have anyone on staff who has anywhere near his experience recruiting the Northeast, especially New England. If there is money in the budget, it would be great to get him on staff as a defensive consultant, with a strong focus on helping recruit New England.

He might have better offers. Might not. 65 is pretty up there in years. I bet Hafley finds a spot for him on his staff. He doesn’t seem like much of a game day coach but he knows how to build a staff with recruiting ties to the Northeast.

We don’t have anyone on staff who has anywhere near his experience recruiting the Northeast, especially New England. If there is money in the budget, it would be great to get him on staff as a defensive consultant, with a strong focus on helping recruit New England.

He might have better offers. Might not. 65 is pretty up there in years. I bet Hafley finds a spot for him on his staff. He doesn’t seem like much of a game day coach but he knows how to build a staff with recruiting ties to the Northeast.

Actually I’ve have always thought of Brown in the opposite light but as of late it seems like his defenses are down and his recruiting improved. Previously I thought he did a very good job coaching the defense at his stops but was more of an average recruiter. He did some good things at uconn where I believe he had a top 25 Defense (with limited talent) over a couple of years as well as very similar success at BC. During The first couple years his Michigan defenses were excellent but obviously have went down hill as of late.

It didn’t seem like he had much success in recruiting at BC and Uconn but as mentioned he has done well pulling New England talent to Michigan. I’d think that was more due to the Michigan brand helping him but he certainly gets credit for anyone he brought in. I would think those strong in roads he has made would remain and would be advantageous for his next stop and would hate to see him end up at BC.

A 65 year old man who has spent his entire life in the Northeast is relocating to Arizona. Aren't you supposed to retire first to do that?

he kind of is most likley. I am sure the location of the job had something to do with it. He will pull some New England kids out that way though.

My guess is that it will be harder for the old man to get guys from the NE to go to Arizona than Michigan. He still will get some but that could be a harder sell for some parents.

Also expect that the new DC for UM will not have as strong roots recruiting the Northeast. So this is probably a good development for SU football overall.

My guess is that it will be harder for the old man to get guys from the NE to go to Arizona than Michigan. He still will get some but that could be a harder sell for some parents.

Also expect that the new DC for UM will not have as strong roots recruiting the Northeast. So this is probably a good development for SU football overall.
Would essentially be impossible for the replacement to be able to dominate New England recruiting like Brown did/does. This and UCONN being kaput should hopefully allow us to pull an extra kid or 2 per class from that region you'd hope.

Gronk went out there so it can be done. Good recruiters recruit. He will do a good job.