Southerland | Syracusefan.com

Southerland

Orangezoo

In the wind
Im officially sick of watching NBA hoops.. I enjoy it.. yes but I am 100 percent ready for next season...

The more I think about it- the more I think James could really be the game changer this season. If he can perfect that high release mid range jumper, ala a Wes Johnson, while continuing to be a good weakside shot blocker, I think we are top 5 team next year or even in the conversation with IU or the ville. UK I believe will drop back despite the influx of talent, but still be a dangerous team by tourney team.

James really has the necessary tools to provide the kind of floor spacing we had with the team featuring Andy/Wes. As we have seen - talent goes far. Last year we had Melo/Waiters/Kris/Scoop balancing talent and experience with good individual performances around that from Fair/Triche/Dirty and depth with Keita/MCW.

Next year we have a very complete team - missing only a true 7 footer (Keita is 6'11 but is our energy guy). MCW/Rak/James/DC reek of talent. We need talent to win a title. UK needed talent to win it. Triche is a darkhorse who has all the talent as well and the fellow senior alongside Dirty. Cooney/Southerland and Triche give us a solid core of perimeter shooters. MCW gives us (theoretical until proven) floor leadership. DC2 gives us a true low post scoring presence we haven't had since AO. CJ gives us a glue guy/slasher who gets buckets however needed. Rak gives us a rebounding presence as does DC2 and a shotblocker. BMK gives us frontcourt depth and pure hustle. Grant gives us insurance and depth as well as a good defensive presence in practice while he develops. Outside of proving they can do it on a D-1 level the frosh and unproven sophs provide the kind of talent compiled you just don't see often.

With that said we need a guy who can be a gamebreaker. Dion/Fab were capable and Fab left us wondering what could have been. MCW could be one of those guys as could Triche. I vote for James. I think his high release and pure stroke, coupled with consistancy could make next seasons squad the type of talented team to win another title. I could be wrong but I really could see next year as an even better shot than this past year to win it. The only weakness I see is ballhandling and the ability to get to the rim (hoping Brandon/MCW remove this ) . Otherwise we have low post scoring/outside shooting/rebounding and shot blocking. I am certainly a bit overly optomistic I am sure, as all teams have questions, but I still think we have everything needed. The combo last year of Kris going ice cold from 3 and Fab being out was just too much to overcome. Having more outside shooting and a sure fire easy bucket here and there from DC2 is going to make a huge difference.

For months, I have been touting James as the break-out player for next year. I think the light has come on. I sure hope so.

Im officially sick of watching NBA hoops.. I enjoy it.. yes but I am 100 percent ready for next season...

The more I think about it- the more I think James could really be the game changer this season. If he can perfect that high release mid range jumper, ala a Wes Johnson, while continuing to be a good weakside shot blocker, I think we are top 5 team next year or even in the conversation with IU or the ville. UK I believe will drop back despite the influx of talent, but still be a dangerous team by tourney team.

James really has the necessary tools to provide the kind of floor spacing we had with the team featuring Andy/Wes. As we have seen - talent goes far. Last year we had Melo/Waiters/Kris/Scoop balancing talent and experience with good individual performances around that from Fair/Triche/Dirty and depth with Keita/MCW.

Next year we have a very complete team - missing only a true 7 footer (Keita is 6'11 but is our energy guy). MCW/Rak/James/DC reek of talent. We need talent to win a title. UK needed talent to win it. Triche is a darkhorse who has all the talent as well and the fellow senior alongside Dirty. Cooney/Southerland and Triche give us a solid core of perimeter shooters. MCW gives us (theoretical until proven) floor leadership. DC2 gives us a true low post scoring presence we haven't had since AO. CJ gives us a glue guy/slasher who gets buckets however needed. Rak gives us a rebounding presence as does DC2 and a shotblocker. BMK gives us frontcourt depth and pure hustle. Grant gives us insurance and depth as well as a good defensive presence in practice while he develops. Outside of proving they can do it on a D-1 level the frosh and unproven sophs provide the kind of talent compiled you just don't see often.

With that said we need a guy who can be a gamebreaker. Dion/Fab were capable and Fab left us wondering what could have been. MCW could be one of those guys as could Triche. I vote for James. I think his high release and pure stroke, coupled with consistancy could make next seasons squad the type of talented team to win another title. I could be wrong but I really could see next year as an even better shot than this past year to win it. The only weakness I see is ballhandling and the ability to get to the rim (hoping Brandon/MCW remove this ) . Otherwise we have low post scoring/outside shooting/rebounding and shot blocking. I am certainly a bit overly optomistic I am sure, as all teams have questions, but I still think we have everything needed. The combo last year of Kris going ice cold from 3 and Fab being out was just too much to overcome. Having more outside shooting and a sure fire easy bucket here and there from DC2 is going to make a huge difference.

"The only weakness I see is ballhandling and the ability to get to the rim..." Not exactly a trivial weakness.

one of the main concerns i have about southerland is his consistency in outside shooting. it seems like he's pretty easy to shut down if the opposing team plays man and puts a good defender on him. that's one of the big areas i'd like to see some improvement from james on - shooting it better against man defenses. as it is now, it seems like he's a much better shooter against the zone.

one of the main concerns i have about southerland is his consistency in outside shooting. it seems like he's pretty easy to shut down if the opposing team plays man and puts a good defender on him. that's one of the big areas i'd like to see some improvement from james on - shooting it better against man defenses. as it is now, it seems like he's a much better shooter against the zone.

he lights it up in practice ;)

I think Southerland has the chance to explode, but the biggest thing is he needs to be more consistent. The biggest thing he needs to do is be more consistent and work on his dribbling in the offseason. I believe the increased minutes he gets this year will lead to a more consistent game. He has less to worry about this year, for example if he misses his first 2 shots or makes a mistake he probably wont come out right away like he has in the past.

I think Dirty has a big year. I disagree that he can't shoot against man D. He is 6-8 with freakish ups. He can shoot on anyone. I think he was a bit tentative against man to man for fear of getting pulled for taking a contested shot. With confidence he will be a stud. He gives much more than KJ ever did. He's a better shooter , defender, and rebounder. I will concede he is not the best ball handler but He's at least as good as KJ.

Go Dirty!!!

I would like to see James have a Dnic like senior year not in pure production because he won't (nor will anybody) get the shot attempts Dnic did, but in effect on the game. Shoot a high percentage and be very efficient on offense and when he is hot watch out! Defensively I expect him to play the best wing defensive we have ever seen in the zone, similar to Andy's senior year at the top of the zone. To do this he must rebound better the rest of his defensive is already there!

Isolation play IMO. Returning no isolation players is like being blindsided. CJ is going to develop a inside offense while James is on teh floor and work on a outside offense while Rak or Grant are at the other wing.

Next years team could have CJ, Southerland, Triche, DC2, Rak, MCW who all have a shot at belonging on first-third all big east team. That being said thats two guards, two forwards and two centers. I think we are going to find alot of mismatches.

CJ and Southerland are the biggest scoring keys I think. Triche is going to take over some games but also take note we are going to see some more leadership then ever before from him at PG. PG fits well for third scoring options. Better then SF, or SG does.
I think MCW has a darkhorse shot with the other three above to become a true team leader.

I think DC2 adn RAk will get theres, but not be looked at as a leader offensively. Unless, and a BIG bold, italic, underlined UNLESS they can get on the floor together. Where they are so strong and could be rediculously intimidating team on the offensive end.

I think people will be pleasently surprised as Fair and Southerland will be posting up more.

Good post. Southerland has the chance to be a poor man's Wes Johnson - tall wing that can get his shot whenever he wants, great range, athletic jumping jack, strong weak side defender/rebounder. He is never going to be able to get to the hole off the bounce - and that's OK, he's bringing other unique skills to the table.

I love the completeness of next year's team. We have talent and size at every position, and I think the team will play with a high bball IQ, led by MCW, Fair and an experienced Triche. The only thing I worry about is the lack of a high-level penetrator, a la Dion or Johnny Flynn. I think we'll see MCW come off high screens and look to distribute rather than take it to the hole, because I'm not sure he or Triche possess the quickness to get to the rim consistently.

i am hoping that mcw can exploit seams like his days in hs . he showed an ability to finish strong a few times. hopefully working out every day against scoop and dion will help him get better.

I agree lack of dribble penetration could cause a issue here but I also think that what this teams lacks in dribble fancyness it makes up for in aggressive lack of hesitation playmaking and motion offense.

I think this team will actually look to score when they get a moment of seperation from their defender. Most teams only try to score in this case while our guys will be looking to. Triche and Fair are perfect examples of that. Very aggressive when they get open when just receiving the ball. Southerland has already proven a quick trigger he took more shots then fair per minutes, and it sounds like most expect cooney to not pass on a open look this year.

And Rak and DC will be looking to use their bodys to get a seal off advantage and to run the pick and roll. This will help CJ and Triche not have to run around in exessive amounts. I think we will see some nice and ones from them.

MCW is a superior passer and any time he gets a step on his man into the paint I think he will end up taking it. Thats what PG's especially 6'5 ones who can really pass do.
I think Triche, CJ, and MCW attacking immedietly when receiving the ball will make up for our lack of dribbling that we lost in KJO, Dion and Scoop.

Hopefully Mookie comes back though. I think a 4th guard could help our motion offense. While truthfully I feel he never was the kind of guy to knock down 4-6 from three or to hit three straight treys, and had some defensive issues, he would help the motion in our offense and could make us that much better. He would be a HUGE grab even as a 4-5mpg just in the first half during BE play kinda guy. Can't expect to run as much motion offense with 3 guards as you can with 4. Obviously our backline on the other hand is DEEP.

Good post. Southerland has the chance to be a poor man's Wes Johnson - tall wing that can get his shot whenever he wants, great range, athletic jumping jack, strong weak side defender/rebounder. He is never going to be able to get to the hole off the bounce - and that's OK, he's bringing other unique skills to the table.

I love the completeness of next year's team. We have talent and size at every position, and I think the team will play with a high bball IQ, led by MCW, Fair and an experienced Triche. The only thing I worry about is the lack of a high-level penetrator, a la Dion or Johnny Flynn. I think we'll see MCW come off high screens and look to distribute rather than take it to the hole, because I'm not sure he or Triche possess the quickness to get to the rim consistently.

No offense, but I don't see Southerland being anything like a poor man's Wes. He lacks the confidence although he has shown he has the hops. James just doesn't have the balls to take it to the hole and often is scared to screw up that he relies on the main threat he's shown in his years at SU - the three point shot. I think he can be a lot more dangerous is he takes a gut check and goes for it.

I hope, as most are saying in this thread, that he does 'explode' and goes for it - its his chance, I hope he takes it and I'm wrong.

IMO I think the key to JS having a great year is for him to get better at putting it on the floor and getting to the hole. If he can work on his handle and his first step to get by his defender that will not only get him to the whole, but it will also open up his outside shot as well. The defenders will have to play off of him for fear of him going around them. The other key to getting JS his 3-pt shot is the ability of MCW and Triche to penetrate and dish and the passing of the bigs down low. If our bigs can pass out of the double teams that will not only open it up for JS on the outside byt also Triche and Cooney.

I am also excited about the potential of this team. I believe they can be better than this years team , but we have to have someone that can step up the defense to create turnovers, get steals and blocks; like last years team. Iam looking forward to football, but anxiously awaiting B-ball season.

I would like to see James have a Dnic like senior year not in pure production because he won't (nor will anybody) get the shot attempts Dnic did, but in effect on the game.
Was going to post the same thing. Fortunately (for JS, the team and us) he has considerably more around him than DN did.

No offense, but I don't see Southerland being anything like a poor man's Wes. He lacks the confidence although he has shown he has the hops. James just doesn't have the balls to take it to the hole and often is scared to screw up that he relies on the main threat he's shown in his years at SU - the three point shot. I think he can be a lot more dangerous is he takes a gut check and goes for it.

I hope, as most are saying in this thread, that he does 'explode' and goes for it - its his chance, I hope he takes it and I'm wrong.

A poor man's Wes is his absolute ceiling, based on his physical tools and skill set, if everything falls into place (including the confidence point you bring up, which I agree with). The people that remember Wes Johnson taking his man off the dribble and getting to the rim in the half court are delusional. Wes had zero handle. James has zero handle. It's not that he doesn't have the balls to take it to the hole, it's that he doesn't have the talent. It's not what he does, and it's not what he will do this year. I think he'll make a bunch of shots, improve his rebounding, and become a better defender - both in terms of positioning and using his athleticism to block shots.

A poor man's Wes is his absolute ceiling, based on his physical tools and skill set, if everything falls into place (including the confidence point you bring up, which I agree with). The people that remember Wes Johnson taking his man off the dribble and getting to the rim in the half court are delusional. Wes had zero handle. James has zero handle. It's not that he doesn't have the balls to take it to the hole, it's that he doesn't have the talent. It's not what he does, and it's not what he will do this year. I think he'll make a bunch of shots, improve his rebounding, and become a better defender - both in terms of positioning and using his athleticism to block shots.

I agree 100% the biggest difference between the two is Wes was a far better rebounder, James is already a better defender than Wes was. Either have great handles, but Wes have a one dibble pull up and a step back move, if James develops those two moves he will have a very good senior year.

Our veteran players are the least of our problems -- they're all on steady development curves. With more PT (and hopefully more confidence), JS will be more versatile and more consistent from outside. He'll be backing up both the 3 and 4, and at the 3, my prediction is that he will show us a little mid-range game. I also look for him to play tighter defense with his footwork and rebound better with his elite athleticism. BT is another guy we don't need to worry about. He will also continue his steady perimeter defense, 35% outside shooting, good rebounding for a guard, and of course his patented slash and gash game. He may not have a superstar skill, but he's strong and reliable. CJ finally gets to play his 'natural' position (for his size, not for his game). He's a crafty role player who gets the job done inside and can rebound the ball - but at the 3 he will need to show us an outside shot. I think this is the year he'll do that.

This may be a thread about JS, but it should be pointed out that the variable with this team is the 4 unproven guys. MCW has a world of talent -- uncanny court vision, a nice stroke from outside, excellent size. I think he can run the offense and score occasionally. But we don't know how good his defense will be against quick BE guards, or what he will do with 25 minutes of PT. Can he get to the rim ala the St. Johns game, will his outside shot be consistent and can he make plays in hostile venues or with the game on the line?

TC's another question mark. He might be really good for us if he can do an AR imitation on offense--catch and shoot with occasional dribble penetration. But will he be as solid defensively as Andy was? Will he get rattled against tight defense? DC2 -- the third unknown. He could be another AO -- powerful inside player with a mid-range shot, steady low post offense and (possibly) the talent to rebound like RJ. But ... is he ready for prime time as a frosh? Can he adjust to banging every night in the BE, guarding (and rebounding against) players that are 6'10 to 7'? He sure looked promising in the McD AA game .. let's see if he can do that consistently in the zone.

Then, of course, the Rak factor. Lots of people are expecting him to explode this year -- with his huge hands and long reach, surprising hops and excellent timing. Last year, he was mentally LOST, porous on defense, unable to adjust to playing off the ball, couldn't seem to find a man to box out, and underproductive offensively. This year, he'll have a front court mate that could make life easier. DC2's big enough to front opposing centers, leaving Rak free to block shots and rebound. At the offensive end, with DC2's talented low post game, Rak could again be the beneficiary, scoring on putbacks and snaring offensive rebounds. The nice thing about DC2 is that he's more mature and developed as a basketball player than Melo was, and this could be just what Rak needs...someone on the court to tell him where he's supposed to be and help him contribute.

All in all, lots of potential for JS and his teammates in his senior year -- 3 McD AA's and maybe the outside/inside balance we lost when AO left. But there's no superstar to fly to the rim or wily veteran to lead the team, and there's way too much inexperience in the roster to pin this season on whether a veteran guy like Dirty improves substantially.

I am beyond excited about this upcoming years team. We might not have the Dion Waiters-break down the defense guy, but I think we can more than make up for that with the possibilities of an elite pg and an inside/outside game with Rak/DC and the spacing of Southerland/Triche/Cooney.

I also think Southerland is going to have a huge year.

It seems to me that he has had to focus on getting stronger and learning how to play defense to earn PT his first three years. When you are hitting the gym hard and putting on strength it can throw your shot off, and because of this I dont think his shots fell at a percentage that showed just what a great shooter he really is.

By the end of last year Southerland had made himself a very good defender and a good rebounder. I think this will allow him some time to refocus on his shot and his offensive game, and as a result we will see a guy ready to come out and be an elite scorer.

I think he already is a poor man's Wes. If he gets his 3pt% up from 34% to the low 40%s, he would just about be Wes incarnate. While most seniors can't improve their shooting much, JS may be an exception: he clearly has the stroke and more minutes may get him over the hump.

I readily agree with most of the post here. The most importan or one of the most important points "ballhandling and the ones to get it right. MCW must be the prime player for that talent. Triche and Cooney might be able to contribute. Triche has some experience there but must eliminate his tendency to vanish in games on both ends of the court. James DC and the Moose must help themselves physically by adding some muscle mass to their bodies.;)

I readily agree with most of the post here. The most importan or one of the most important points "ballhandling and the ones to get it right. MCW must be the prime player for that talent. Triche and Cooney might be able to contribute. Triche has some experience there but must eliminate his tendency to vanish in games on both ends of the court. James DC and the Moose must help themselves physically by adding some muscle mass to their bodies.;)

I was with you until you had DC on your list of needing to add muscle you must of meant someone else right?

I was with you until you had DC on your list of needing to add muscle you must of meant someone else right?
OOPs How did DC come out instead of CJ:oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom